OW to DM (Utila/Roatan or Koh Tao)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaalp, responses to your post are based upon the individual responders opinions, experience and prejudice. Let me be less negative than the others and discuss some pros and some cons of your plan. First, immersing yourself in scuba for several weeks, spending hours in and under the water every day is an excellent way to acquire not just certifications but skills, even at the mastery level In addition, you will be in a forum where you can interact with divers, as part of the DM training is interning and doing DM stuff with classes for other divers. That is all good. On the down side, while training in the tropics is great, it is a ,lot different that the conditions where you live and will dive and work, unless you move to the tropics. There is something to be said for training in an environment similar to that in which you will be diving or working. As far as work for a divemaster, it is not a profession on which you can support yourself unless you work full time at a dive destination, or attach your self to a dive center where you work as a DM but also work in the retail store. Accordingly, doing all your certification and training thousands of miles away from where you want to find work is a negative in your plan. If you train locally, you can develop relationships with local employers who may then hire your.

All of that said, if you feel passionate about scuba, and have the time and the money to do it, then I say head to Roatan and immerse yourself in the sport. At worst, you'll have a great tropical holiday, and at best, well, you will launch a career. Focus on learning all you need to know, not just getting through. In scuba as in all sports, there are brand new professionals who are outstanding, and there are some who have been around for years that are not. Be outstanding right from the start, and stay that way. Best of luck, and happy diving!
DivemasterDennis

I'd have to ask why DM? Dive Master is the first "Pro" level in the PADI world. It requires a bit of work and an insurance policy to be in effect. If you're not going to actually be functioning as a Dive Master it's a waste of money. What you learn in the course would be good for you to be sure.

I'd work through OW/AOW and then Rescue and get a few specialties along the way. Get the Master Diver (top of the Rec diving food chain).

If you are going to push on with DM, where would you be working as a DM. That is where I'd suggest you do the course. (AND the rescue course as well)

Scubaalp, responses to your post are based upon the individual responders opinions, experience and prejudice. Let me be less negative than the others and discuss some pros and some cons of your plan. First, immersing yourself in scuba for several weeks, spending hours in and under the water every day is an excellent way to acquire not just certifications but skills, even at the mastery level In addition, you will be in a forum where you can interact with divers, as part of the DM training is interning and doing DM stuff with classes for other divers. That is all good. On the down side, while training in the tropics is great, it is a ,lot different that the conditions where you live and will dive and work, unless you move to the tropics. There is something to be said for training in an environment similar to that in which you will be diving or working. As far as work for a divemaster, it is not a profession on which you can support yourself unless you work full time at a dive destination, or attach your self to a dive center where you work as a DM but also work in the retail store. Accordingly, doing all your certification and training thousands of miles away from where you want to find work is a negative in your plan. If you train locally, you can develop relationships with local employers who may then hire your.

All of that said, if you feel passionate about scuba, and have the time and the money to do it, then I say head to Roatan and immerse yourself in the sport. At worst, you'll have a great tropical holiday, and at best, well, you will launch a career. Focus on learning all you need to know, not just getting through. In scuba as in all sports, there are brand new professionals who are outstanding, and there are some who have been around for years that are not. Be outstanding right from the start, and stay that way. Best of luck, and happy diving!
DivemasterDennis

Dennis,
while you for the most part offer pretty decent advice to new divers, I'm going to have to disagree with you here. The OP isn't even certified yet. Suggesting he go straight to DM is a bad idea. He will still be learning to dive himself while being expected to demo and guide trainees and newly certified divers. There are already too many abysmal DMs and instructors out there. No need to create more.
Zero to hero never should have been a thing.

Utila and Koh Tao have a heavy backpacker party vibe. I haven't dive Koh Tao, but the diving on Utila was fantastically underwhelming. I did drink a lot of rum though :)

Roatan has the better diving by far, but has an older average age, so it's not all party-party there.

For my money go to Roatan. But I'm in my late 30s and like an early night now and again.

As for the zero to hero thing. I did OW to DM in 3 months. But then I'm a SCUBA god :acclaim:

Utila and Koh Tao have a heavy backpacker party vibe. I haven't dive Koh Tao, but the diving on Utila was fantastically underwhelming. I did drink a lot of rum though :)

Roatan has the better diving by far, but has an older average age, so it's not all party-party there.

For my money go to Roatan. But I'm in my late 30s and like an early night now and again.

As for the zero to hero thing. I did OW to DM in 3 months. But then I'm a SCUBA god :acclaim:

well stew, i've seen you in the water. you do silly things like the "badger stop" :p

Hmmm...I think some DMs I've met are actually just OW. Oh that's because experience trumps rush training, but anyway...glad to see you enthusiastic about diving. However, I think someone told you its a bit more glamorous and easy than it is.

The money side in tourist traps isn't so good because you are in a very competitive environment where the shop is competing with others to drive the price down to the price tourists want to pay (which is 0 BTW). Price is directly proportional to your pay. The internship can mean slavery "stuck here with no money to get home" kind of times in places where the living standards are below anything you could imagine. You get to do everything. Then hella long hours taking care of people that are sometimes idiots then back for getting the shop ready for the next day. Then the physical side can be quite grueling. Up and down on your ears every day for multiple days can be very taxing. Etc, etc.

If it was as easy as it appears, we'd already have all those jobs because we already thought of that.

So hold onto that dream but just take it a bit slower and stage along before diving in. Take a trip to some of these places and see how it really works. BTW, certification in low viz locations generally results in a diver skilled and experienced with more conditions. Even though it is clearer in the tropics it is still a big bad ocean that eats people with no remorse.

Roatan. CocoView Resort. Patty runs a great PADI internship program.

Do you want to be a dm because you want to help people how to learn to dive or guide them or because dm title sounds cool? Blowing bubbles in a dsd is very different than being responsible for someones life in ow. Ps diving in the north sea/atlantic is amazing....

Back
Top Bottom