OW to DM (Utila/Roatan or Koh Tao)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I say head to Roatan with the money for your return ticket stashed and unuseable for any other purpose. Take your oOpwn water, AOW, rRescue and some other odds and sods specialties. Watch how the system works, talk to ither dm trainees, various dive op owners over time. Pay particular attention to how wonderful it is to dive without having to be responsible for others and herding cats.

Once upon a time, I believed I'd progress to DM perhaps even instructor. Then i realized that diving was for me, my zen, my pleasure as it's all about ME. I've not one single regret, by keeping up a career at home that paid for my diving lifestyle. The very best of both worlds. :)

I recommend West End Divers and/or Coconut Tree Divers on Roatan in West End village. Have a wonderful time.

Thanks for your advice everyone, I'm going to just book my OW and AOW then see if I enjoy the location and dive centre.

I've done a lot of research on trip advisor and it looks like coconut tree divers and west end divers are highly recommended in roatan.

Does anyone know much about pirate bays inn and captain morgan's in Utila?

I'm leaning more towards Roatan or Utila though.

And for the record I want to become a divemaster to teach others not just to say I'm a DM :)

And for the record I want to become a divemaster to teach others not just to say I'm a DM :)

Doing it the way you intend to do it how can you teach if you have NO experience except what you see in your own classes? A good instructor has experience in many different types of diving and situations not just their own classroom.

Zero to hero is not the way to go.

Rivers, I take your point, but to do it here in the UK, I'll be diving in water with a visibility of 1-2 metres, the price of all courses are twice the price than asia or central america i.e. OW, AOW, RD + EFR and DM is £1525 and that isn't including the price for diving and thirdly I think living a divers lifestyle with professional divers all day should ultimately make me a better diver.

I'm sorry, but this is NOT the way to become a proper dive pro. You have it backwards.

Save your money & gain dive experience; if you are a good UK diver, you'll be able to handle just about anything.

Take a few trips elsewhere for fun and more variety.

This process takes YEARS not WEEKS or MONTHS.

Scubaalp,

I think people in this thread are overly hard on the way you've chosen to go pro. In my opinion, doing a divemaster internship somewhere cheap also has some benefits. You'll meet tons of different divers and if you're smart and humble you'll learn some from the good ones. Doing as many dives as you're likely to during your internship (100 a month isn't impossible) you'll also improve your skills tremendously.

Of course, as everyone points out, it's a very different deal diving in cold water with bad visibiity - and learning how to dive, and becoming a pro in a tropical paradise will not adequately prepare you to teach in conditions similar to those at home. But is that what you want anyway? If not, why bother learning in conditions dissimilar to where you want to live and dive? Even if you plan on working at home - doing an internship in the tropics isn't nescessarily a bad idea - you'll get hundred of dives (make sure your internship has unlimited diving) and the weight of that experience makes you calm and collected in the water - something which will help you adjust adjust to bulky suits, cold water and challenging conditions at a later date. Just allow yourself some time to get into cold water - don't think you can do the work straight away. I tried, and I still cringe when I think about it. =)

Tropical diving at recreational depths is very, very safe - and if you apply yourself, you can become good at doing divemaster work in such conditions in a fairly short time. You can be an excellent divemaster by Utila or Koh Tao standards in a few months - It's simply not true that it takes years to get to that point. If you can at all, I'd find a grizzled veteran who's been around, and get him/her as your mentor. Preferably someone who's also a tech diver. Puppy-farm destinations have a wealth of very inexperienced instructors, who regurgitate erroneous information they themselves picked up from other bad instructors. I did my divemaster course on Koh Tao ten years ago, and was (quietly) puzzled by the many cases of misunderstood dive theory I overheard (and I'd only read and understood my Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving.)

Your most difficult challenge ahead is finding the right mentor - these thread are full of advice like "Go to whatever diveshop - they're awesome" and that's just completely useless information. (no offence intended to any posters) Often students (also new professionals) recommend teachers without realising they had been taught outside of standards or have been filled wth erroneous information. What you want to do is go somewhere (or an internet forum), and find one of the old time instructors (private message them if on a forum). Befriend him and ask who he respect and thinks is a very knowledable instructor, and who'd be a good mentor for you. Get a second and third opinion also - then find out whereever that guy works, and ask to do an internship with that guy. Pay extra if you must, but get that guy. There's very good people on Koh Tao and Utila - they're just surrounded by people who didn't learn from them.

All the best,
Soren

Just a note to say we aren't suggesting doing training in cold water because you will eventually want to come home or teach in cold water. We suggest that because then other less rigorous diving conditions in temperature and water clarity will be easier to deal with when you have this experience. It's not just about dealing with those issues individually, it's about task loading. When you are trying to find a lost guest , your BC is leaking because that's the old one they give you, there is a current and another guest keeps yoyo'ing to the surface, it's being able to handle some of those issues, along with those I didn't list that are also happening, with ease that you are learning. Could you skip it? Sure, but that was the reason for it.

BTW, gotta love this line above: <<that's just completely useless information. (no offence intended to any posters)>> How can saying "Your suggestions are crap." not be offensive? HA HA HA.. And THIS is an internet forum with grizzled old veterans. :)

Hi Shasta,

Yeah - that was admittedly a bit cheeky =) What I should of course have said in this company of grizzled veterans was something like:

"Please be aware many divers will recommend instructors based on friendship, not skills. Some divers have rotten friends. Please also be aware some dive shop and instructors have sock puppet accounts on internet forums like this one. Grow a healthy sense of scepticism of any recommendation that could lead to a potential sale - especially if it's not from a frequent poster. Lastly realize, that to get good answers you'll need to ask the right questions. Kind, generous posters will realize you don't yet know exactly what to ask, and hence they will explain why they recommend a place or an instructor. "

There, a little more agreeable I hope.

---------- Post added August 8th, 2014 at 03:12 PM ----------

well stew, i've seen you in the water. you do silly things like the "badger stop" :p

I tried not to bite... but I J.U.S.T. can't resists. What's the badger stop?

This grizzled old veteran (who does teach other things but decided not to become a scuba instructor) was already a little grizzled by the time she set foot on Koh Tao. The island is beautiful and reasonably good fun for young folk (even was for me) BUT the diving REALLY sucked for the most part.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom