Own and rent...what's the deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sEANx32:
As was mentioned earlier, you've got to figure renting vs buying with a cost comparision. If you found, say, an Oceanic VT Pro (they're being phased out, but still good computers) they should be aroun $670. If you did 10 dives a year, that's $67 the first year. If you keep it 3 years, it's then like $22 a dive. That's only 10 dives a year for 3 years. Assuming you dive more and the fact that a computer will last you longer, the cost goes down dramatically. Quick example: 20 dives a year for 5 years, and the computer cost $6.70 per dive.

Now, this is a real nice computer with a wireless transmitter. It has a lot of range for different styles of diving. There are better, and worse, let's not turn this into a dive computer model discussion. I just picked this one as an example....

Just some food for thought.

If you get in 365 dives per year, over four years it will cost less than $.50/ dive. You would be advised to figure in the cost of divorce attorneys, alimony, child support, etc. also, but carry those in a different line item since it was just a matter of time before your significant other ditched your soory *ss anyway. :D

ZzzKing:
If you get in 365 dives per year, over four years it will cost less than $.50/ dive. You would be advised to figure in the cost of divorce attorneys, alimony, child support, etc. also, but carry those in a different line item since it was just a matter of time before your significant other ditched your soory *ss anyway. :D

:lol: LOL, but think about how much happier you would be after diving everyday for 4 years! :D

The Kraken:
Personally, I don't think renting a dive computer is a good idea.

Why?

Because unless you rent the same type of computer every time, you incur a new learning curve with each type of different computer you rent.

At the bottom of the ocean is no place to discover that you don't understand, fully, how to get the necessary information that you need from an unfamiliar computer.

Just my 2 psi.

the K

On the flip side of your 2psi :D

I'll be diving with the same outfit, for 4 consecutive days. I have my gear, except for a computer. (I have a set of compact gauges and will be buying a wrist-mount computer in the future)

I contacted them, and asked if I stopped in the shop, the day prior, if someone would show me how to use the computer. I was assured that they would teach me how to use the computer and, and would make sure I have a good understanding of how it works, before before diving with it. I'll also have the same computer, over those 4 days.

In that case, I think it's worth the $10.00 renal fee, per day, to try before I buy.....

Skins,

You make a valid point, and it is well taken.

In your scenario, a specific trip for several days and several dives per day, rental is a very viable option.

But, if you were diving frequently in different areas and were unable to rent the same type of computer for every dive, then you would be back at the beginning of the class each time.

It's just my personal opinion that the diver would be a safer diver, and buddy, if he were to use the analog gauges until such time he could secure a computer of his own.

the K

The Kraken:
Skins,

You make a valid point, and it is well taken.

In your scenario, a specific trip for several days and several dives per day, rental is a very viable option.

But, if you were diving frequently in different areas and were unable to rent the same type of computer for every dive, then you would be back at the beginning of the class each time.

It's just my personal opinion that the diver would be a safer diver, and buddy, if he were to use the analog gauges until such time he could secure a computer of his own.

the K

Agreed!! There's enough to think about, without having to worry about a new piece of gear each time out.....

If you're doing multiple trips where you will rent a computer it really starts to pay off soon in $$$ and familiarity to just buy it and be done with it.

As far as learning to use a dive computer, it sort of depends on the person. Some people struggle with stuff like that and others will consider any them trivial to figure out. They're not rocket science.

sEANx32:
As was mentioned earlier, you've got to figure renting vs buying with a cost comparision. If you found, say, an Oceanic VT Pro (they're being phased out, but still good computers) they should be aroun $670. If you did 10 dives a year, that's $67 the first year. If you keep it 3 years, it's then like $22 a dive. That's only 10 dives a year for 3 years. Assuming you dive more and the fact that a computer will last you longer, the cost goes down dramatically. Quick example: 20 dives a year for 5 years, and the computer cost $6.70 per dive.

Now, this is a real nice computer with a wireless transmitter. It has a lot of range for different styles of diving. There are better, and worse, let's not turn this into a dive computer model discussion. I just picked this one as an example....

Just some food for thought.

You don't need to spend anywhere close to this kind of money to get a very good computer. Scuba Toys is currently selling the wrist mounted (non-air integrated) Aeris Atmos 2 for $290. It is an excellent computer. Air integration still costs a pretty penny and, in my opinion, is not required at all. I own an Atmos 2 and am very pleased with it.

I just don't like wrist mounts because I never know where I am going to put my hand lookin for a bug.

There are better, and worse, let's not turn this into a dive computer model discussion. I just picked this one as an example....

Back
Top Bottom