Oxycheq Mach 5 is the most unsafe???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A couple of years ago I bought an Oxycheq Macv V Signature 30lb and tested in in a pool. Intending to submerge I pulled on the rear dump valve and it just tore off. The entire valve was hanging from the string in my hand and the aircell was flooded.

The plastic part of the OPV base snapped. Oxycheq says that it was probably damaged in transportation.
But I can't imagine how it would be when it is surrounded buy the soft parts of the assembled wing.

What I can imagine is that if something like that happens to me at -150 feet... Well, I think that one of the better case scenarios would definitely include me having to drag my SS backplate all the way to the surface, probably not being able to keep my buoyancy and my cool for these safety stops and ultimately being left bent and without a flotation device in the middle of a sea.

I am not saying the valve wasn't broke when it was shipped, I am not blaming Oxycheq and otherwise the wing is very sleek and quite comfortable. But I couldn't bring myself to really trust this product after that.

The result of too much torque during assembly. I had the same failure on a new 18# wing from Oxycheq. I got the impression that the retailer (scubatoys) had seen that failure before. They sent me the replacement parts with no questions. DSS makes a higher quality fitting that is the same thread that will work also

I too first thought of too much torque. It was the Oxycheq staff who blamed the shipping. They also said that they didn't make the valve themselves. So it was either broken to begin with or else broken after it was assembled and shipped. Either way Oxycheq is not to blame...

And yes scubatoys readily send replacements. The problem is that they had to send replacements for more than half of the $3000 equipment they sold me and they manged to send it to the wrong dates and to the wrong locations. But that is one very long and very sad story.

---------- Post Merged at 04:32 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:15 AM ----------

DSS makes a higher quality fitting that is the same thread that will work also
You wouldn't have a link to this DSS part/parts or a hint how to find it? I am in the process of putting this wing back together http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...re-assembly-gasket-compatibily-questions.html and I do trust the bladder, but this other stuff here:Wing Parts : OxyCheq - DiveOps, Analyzers and Scuba Diving Equipment I am not so sure about.

This may be it: https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1333

I recall getting the inner T-nut with it also. You may want to give Tobin a call and talk to him about it. The threading for the OPV and the dump valve elbow are the same.

Funny how Oxycheq has so much trouble with shipping. Too bad - they have a decent, affordable wing but suck at customer service. I have gotten parts from dive rite also as most of the smaller manufacturers use a fairly standard fitting. I do not believe it is a fitting defect but that T-nut is what will let go if you crank down with the assembly tool. I have DiveRite, Oxycheq, and DSS wings. All are nice but DSS just seems to be made a bit better. And Tobin is not going to BS you.

Thank you! I will give DSS a call as soon as they wake up there in California.

Do you think that Oxycheq and Hollis parts might be interchangeable? I can get a used Hollis C45 Wing locally for $200. That compares to some $150 for the parts+shipping from the US ...the mysterious special tool not included of course. And I would have another wing.

I agree that the Mach V is very nice when it works. I did a lot of research and asked even more questions here before buying it. And when I reported the problem to Patrick and Larry in January 2008, both said that it was the first time.

Do a few bubbles coming out of the elbow even matter? Can't I just dive with the thing as is?

I have an Oxycheq Mach V wing (30#) with about 80 dives on it and no problem thus far. There was an issue with the LP hose popping off and scobatoys.com sent me a new one immediately.

Back from my dive. Basically here were his concerns.

1. It lacks a dump valve on the shoulder.
Good. You don't really need one - that is what your hose is for.
2. It is too light a lift (he feels it probably wasn't designed for open water use-probably for limited things like cleaning boat bottoms or pools)
Did you mention how much lift the wing has in this forum? I will assume that it is 30# and, short of diving a very thick and compressible wetsuit, that shouldn't be an issue unless your wife is very large or she enjoys being drastically over-weighted.
3. That idea of using weight belt material to make the straps from...not good as it is too uncomfortable. He suggested changing it all out for padded shoulder straps with buckle releases and a sternum strap. Also to make the waste strap not connected to the rest and have it be a separate part.
Been there and done that. Padded shoulder straps and a sternum strap are great for long hikes above the water. Under the water I have found them to be completely unnecessary since: (1) in the water your gear weighs much less; and (2) in the water the weight is pushing down on your back, not pulling down on your shoulders. I don't think that padded shoulder straps and a sternum strap will kill anyone, but I see no diving advantage to having them.
4. Remove the cutting device from the hip and place on the shoulder strap as it would interfere with the buckle.
Well, it does look cooler. I don't think that it will harm either way, but I can't see how it will interfere with the buckle. My knife is always on the buckle side of my belt and it has never been in the way of anything. How is the placement of the cutting device related to Oxycheq's wing? :)
5. Remove the integrated weight pockets and replace with weight belt.
There is an advantage to ditchable weight when diving a thick wetsuit as you may need significant weight to sink and, in the event of a total, rapid wing failure at depth when the suit is compressed and less buoyant, you may need but lack a redundant form of lift. If diving a drysuit this should not be an issue unless your suit and wing both fail at the same time. Personally, a belt doesn't work for me (it is too uncomfortable) so I have trim weight pouches on my gear, some of which I can ditch and some of which I can't.

After talking to him on the way out it was clear that he has a certain idea of how to dive and is not comfortable at all in deviating from it. I pointed out to him that I dive the exact same rig off of his boat all the time so if it was so unsafe how can he let me do that. That didn't really get an answer.

Regardless, he did admit that my wife would be a safer diver if she trained in the gear she was going to be diving with so she now has to demonstrate that she can remove the gear and put it back on both under the water and on top...and I will have to show her how to do it. I wonder if he is going to split the teacher fees.

A leaking wing, means you may be constantly adjusting buoyancy which is doable but a PITA. I would expect Hollis to use the same parts but that should be easy enough to check. Where are you located that shipping is so expensive? You could fix what you have with just a replacement T-nut that should retail for under $5. Heck, you might even get away with a good reinforced epoxy job if you installed that nut at a lower OPV location; but that is pushing it.

---------- Post Merged at 08:58 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:47 AM ----------

Here is another good parts source. I believe part # FXB2700 includes the T-nut. Plus they sell Diverite, HOG and Hollis which suggests they are all compatible.

http://www.divegearexpress.com/bcs/bcdparts.shtml

Tell your wife instructors are often self serving morons. Unfortunately, she's probably got it stuck in her head now. I'd change shops or instructors

It was the Oxycheq staff who blamed the shipping. They also said that they didn't make the valve themselves. So it was either broken to begin with or else broken after it was assembled and shipped. Either way Oxycheq is not to blame...

Not unknown or even unusual behavior for that company.

Not unknown or even unusual behavior for that company.

Really?! Whoa!!

Hey, if I have a Mach V and want to maximize the compatibility of replacement parts across a group of wings, what manufacturers should I look at? For example, does anyone use similarly-sized threads, etc., on their wings such that they can be interchanged with those on the Mach V?

Thanks!

1. It lacks a dump valve on the shoulder.
2. It is too light a lift (he feels it probably wasn't designed for open water use-probably for limited things like cleaning boat bottoms or pools)
3. That idea of using weight belt material to make the straps from...not good as it is too uncomfortable. He suggested changing it all out for padded shoulder straps with buckle releases and a sternum strap. Also to make the waste strap not connected to the rest and have it be a separate part.
4. Remove the cutting device from the hip and place on the shoulder strap as it would interfere with the buckle.
5. Remove the integrated weight pockets and replace with weight belt.

None of these is unique to Oxycheq Mach V. It seems like he is against the whole idea bp/w, hogarthian setup. If I were you, I won't argue with him. The fundamantal believe is too far here to disucss in a logical way. He could still be a good instructor tho, but just not a open minded one. Being close minded do limited the ability to learn new things. Especially for an instructor, it is not a good thing.

Not sure if I will continous to use him myself because there are good instrutors out there with a open mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom