Oxycheq Recon.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PaulFHughes

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone, I'm a novice diver (40 dives) who has just completed an IANTD Open Water Side-Mount course as a way of alleviating stress on my back. I did my course with a British Dragon harness and a Dive Rite Trek wing. I now intend to evaluate the various SM systems in order to find one that best meets my needs.

My local club in England will be having the Hollis system in so I will be able to try that. In August, I will be able to dive the Nomad and the Armadillo when I dive with my son in New York; but the one system I cannot track down is the Oxycheq Recon.

Does anyone know of an owner in the UK or NY areas or have any tips or advice??

Thank you.

Greetings Paul and I have had the opportunity to examine closely the differences between the Nomad and Recon. Both are very nice and I had a chance to dive the Nomad (the new one) and it was great. I am supposed to try the Recon soon by all means keep looking for one to try. They are constructed very well and thought through having some more practical adaptations for tank mounting options. Well worth the time to check one out. I myself am still undecided yet what new harness I will roll with.
For now I am diving a Nomad clone made out of a Tranpac / butt plate and bugee's.
The whole SM process has been very enjoyable, and I have learned a lot.
Good luck with your search and I know where one is in my local area.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

If you value customer service, I would stick with the Nomad. I have had personal experience with both companies. While Dive Rite may not have the best customer service, at least they have it. OxyCheq on the other hand, does not return phone calls or e-mail when dealing with defective products. They have had my light for 2 and a half months now, won't replace it, won't return my calls. As far as I can tell, they have stolen my light.

I started asking around about OxyCheq's customer service and have been lead to several forum posts on CaveDiver and DecoStop where, not only have several others had similar experiences, but OxyCheq has responded publicly on the forums with arrogant and disrespectful posts. This disturbs me so much that I have posted my story publicly at oxycheqsucks.com

I have used the Nomad and Recon. If those were the only 2, then I would suggest the Recon, mostly for the 360 degree wing, and it is comfortable. However, the customer service thing does create a concern. Would definitely wait for the Hollis rig, as it has a combination of the best features of the currently available systems, especially the 360 wing, which I have found to be a top feature to look for. Also, Hollis customer service is great. Good luck and happy diving!

Thank you Folks for the info. I must admit I hadn't thought of the customer relations aspect of all this. :shakehead:http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/images/smilies/More Smiles/shakehead.gif What you both have shared has alerted me to a serious concern since I am in England where OxyCheq don't even have a dealer.

Thanks again for your input. :)

I am thinking about buying oxycheq on the slash test alone. And minimal wing profile. I have never required a dealer and only use a shop when they give me an account, or for fills. I have found with good gear the only stuff that breaks is stuff you break yourself and replacement bits are always available somewhere. One of our members RJP who knows about oxycheq stuff and where to get it, dives out of Brielle NJ, just a plane trip away. Oh thats right a cab, you're going there anyway. How's the Pound against the Dollar.

I have personally use the Nomad and think that it is a great system. We have already sold a bunch of the new ones and the new wing is nice. Divers have been enjoying the Nomad Weight Plate as well as the new ring bungees (specify with order of Nomad). Majority or the service gets done in-house but for items that do go back, we have had no trouble with DiveRite as far as customer service goes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom