Oxycheq Ultra Lite Plate and Speed Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been diving the exact same wing for a year and a half and have never had a problem looking forward with it. The wing was fully inflated when I took the pictures - I was checking that the weight pockets on the cambands were properly positioned, not trapped against the wing.

Normally when I dive the wing it is almost empty - I keep my weight to a minimum and therefore have little or no air in the wing and when horizontal any air is in the area alongside the tank, not at the top.

The Mach V is a small wing - photographic perspective makes it look larger than it is in reality. Also, the tank is a 63, again making the wing look bigger.

That BC has a lot of inflatable wing that is located behind your neck. I would be very interested to hear how, when the BC is fully inflated at depth and you are in a horizontal position, the rig allows you to lift your head and look forward.

My venture wing seems to have less wing behind my neck and it caused me big problems until I bungied a U-shaped constriction behind my head. otherwise I could not look forward when horizontal.

As you know, if you are weighted properly (as close to neutral as possible), you should never have to fully inflate the wing at depth and you never should; I have never had to. Otherwise, the wing rides low enough and back enough so that it does not affect looking forward when horizontal. It's the very best wing I have ever used.

...I would be very interested to hear how, when the BC is fully inflated at depth and you are in a horizontal position...

If you are at depth, horizontal, with a fully inflated 30# wing, you have bigger problems then lifting your head. I suggest getting your weighting right...

Z...

with a small 18# travel wing this might be the perfect setup for travel to warm water diving.
thanks for the write-up and pics.

That BC has a lot of inflatable wing that is located behind your neck. I would be very interested to hear how, when the BC is fully inflated at depth and you are in a horizontal position, the rig allows you to lift your head and look forward.

My venture wing seems to have less wing behind my neck and it caused me big problems until I bungied a U-shaped constriction behind my head. otherwise I could not look forward when horizontal.

I own 2 of the Mach V wings and believe me they come nowhere near close to touching your neck when set up properly :D
Kelly

I have been using this plate since late Feb. Total about 35 dives so far in Fiji and Bonaire. I use the new 18# Mach V Razor wing and harness setup just like photos above except the storage pocket is on my right side. I also use a weight pocket on each camband to help with trim.

This is a specialized plate. Some dive locations/airlines limit baggage to one checked bag and one small carry-on. This lightweight & compact setup fits the need. The "plate" is flexible enough to allow the wing, harness and all to be rolled up small for packing. Use of ABS D-rings and buckle would get the total weight near 3.5-4 lbs.

The tank is held secure. The lower camband does most of the "work" and the top band secures the tank in vertical position. The assembled look is very much like a Hog harness attached directly to a wing. Above water you may notice the lack of lumbar support (none) but this is not noticeable during the dive.

The one-piece harness does behave differently than (most) hard plates. The straps do slide somewhat freely through the stainless "slides" located at the waist (actually closer to the small of the back). This does allow pulling slack to the shoulder strap for donning/doffing. However, during use tightening the waist in effect pulls the shoulder straps tighter too. Also, on Bonaire I found myself wanting to carry the BC/Tank with just the right shoulder strap. I needed to add a "locking keeper" to the waist belt section so the strap did not pull through the slide.

I must say... the combination of the small pleated 18# Mach V Razor, UL Plate and Simple Harness attracted many a curious look! Some commented it almost appeared as a "tank" mysteriously attached to the wet suit!

Joe

TN Traveler... I thought this plate was still in beta test stage. Did Patrick approve "forum" posting and discussion?

Thanks!

We announced it at Beneath the Sea over a month ago. We finished production and began shipping last week.

Best regards,

Patrick
OxyCheq

The lower camband goes through the wing slots and the slots in the plate - it is totally secure. Patrick recommends just running the upper camband through the wing slots, which is securely fastened to the plate with the sex bolts - I found that I could thread the cambands through the wing slots AND around the back of the plate (it is narrower at the top) and still have it reach around the tank. I felt this made it even more secure.
Believe me - there is no way this is coming apart and there is absolutely zero tank wobble.

If you look at the 4th picture you can see the bottom camband going through the plate while the upper one is going around the top.

Look at the back of your plate. It has a slot of 2" webbing. The upper cam feeds through it and then through the upper slots on the wing.

The bottom cam feeds through the lower cam slots and through the wing.

Dwain will be adding assembly instructions to the web site soon.

Best regards,

Patrick
OxyCheq

Patrick

Thank you - I just went out and looked and found the slot of 2" webbing and rerouted my upper camband through it. I guess I missed it since I bolted the plate and wing together immediately. :11doh: Guess I'm not as sharp an engineer as I thought I was - but then again, I did get it to work.:D

This is great - I now have enough camband length to hold my LP 95's.

I have tried doffing and donning the rig about 15 times and absolutely love it - it is so much easier than a standard hog harness because of the way the waist straps slide once the buckle is opened. No more struggling to get it off in the water (or suiting up) during rough seas.

By the way, my wife hates you - she says I am now positively insufferable about wanting the days to fly by so I can try it in the Keys :wink:

Patrick

Thank you - I just went out and looked and found the slot of 2" webbing and rerouted my upper camband through it. I guess I missed it since I bolted the plate and wing together immediately. :11doh: Guess I'm not as sharp an engineer as I thought I was - but then again, I did get it to work.:D

This is great - I now have enough camband length to hold my LP 95's.

I have tried doffing and donning the rig about 15 times and absolutely love it - it is so much easier than a standard hog harness because of the way the waist straps slide once the buckle is opened. No more struggling to get it off in the water (or suiting up) during rough seas.

By the way, my wife hates you - she says I am now positively insufferable about wanting the days to fly by so I can try it in the Keys :wink:

No problem. Thought it might help. :)

It is easy to miss and that is why we need to get the instructions up.

Easy way to get it off ... put your thumbs under the chest strap and push out at the same time and it will loosen up instantly.

Easy way to get on ... put your hands on the waist strap and close to your body and pull away from your sides. Once snug, secure the belt buckle.

Best regards,

Patrick
OxyCheq
http://oxycheq.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom