Oxygen Hacker's Companion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I just got a copy of the OXYGEN HACKER'S COMPANION, and all I can say is WOW.

I don't know if any of you have read this book, but it shows you alot from building an O2 analyzer to how to mix your own nitrox and trimix.

Well worth the $ 25.

i'd proably blow myself up, and a good chunk of my block

know thy limits :wink:

Stone:
Does this look familiar? Here is a link to pictures of my fill station which was mostly built from Oxyhacker's descriptions.

http://www.magnificentrelief.com/nitrox.htm

Stone,

I was always led to believe that you required an non-oil compressor for mixing Nitrox or Trimix. I was told that the oil causes hydrocarbons and can become combustable with the oxygen.

I noticed that your Bauer compressor is an oil compressor. Was I told wrong, or is there something different with your compressor that allows you to achieve this safely?

Canadian_Diver:
I noticed that your Bauer compressor is an oil compressor. Was I told wrong, or is there something different with your compressor that allows you to achieve this safely?
Hyperfilters can do the job. Kind of pricey but then will work.

Great Book, I really enjoyed reading it and learned an amazing amount of information. It was well worth the money.

Matt

H2Andy:
i'd proably blow myself up, and a good chunk of my block

know thy limits :wink:
I'm never going to build my own fill station due to issues of aptitude (or lack thereof) as well as lack of both time and space.

However, the Oxy Hackers Guide is still an excellent book and I have learned so much from it about compressors, tanks, nitrox blending, oxygen analyzers, O2 cleaning........

When I was thinking of purchasing my first house I bought and studied books on carpentry, plumbing, electrical and hvac. Didn't mean I was going to build or even repair my own home, I just wanted to understand better how the stuff behind the sheet rock, under the sink and in the basement actually work. For me, that's what the Oxy Hackers Guide is for diving. I suggest this book should be in every serious diver's collection.

Canadian_Diver:
Stone,

I was always led to believe that you required an non-oil compressor for mixing Nitrox or Trimix. I was told that the oil causes hydrocarbons and can become combustable with the oxygen.

Using an oil-less compressor removes all doubt, but for continuous blending of 40% or less, an oiled compressor works fine. Most people use a synthetic oil which tolerates higher temperatures.

There is an "oil" discussion going on right now on the Decostop: http://thedecostop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13926

Vance Harlow (Oxyhacker) has made a few comments.

Corigan & Stone,

Thanks for the interesting responses. I'll have to check that oil discussion out for sure. :thumbs_up

H2Andy:
i'd proably blow myself up, and a good chunk of my block [...]

A friend of mine and sometime dive buddy dropped by the house a while ago. In a previous
life he was an insurance adjuster. I happened to be blending at the time; he suggested that
I hide all of this stuff (especially the O2) if my insurance agent ever wanted to come over
for dinner :wink:

I have the Oxyhacker's Guide and it is awesome, so is the Regulator Maintenance and Repair Guide. Vance just writes awesome books and I recommend them to everyone who just wants to know more about diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom