Oxygen Hacker's Companion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awesome fill stations guys. I can't wait until I finally graduate, make big bucks, and can build my own fill station. Keep up the good blending and just know that there are those of us who are dripping with envy. :crafty:

Hi gkndivebum , great filling station , did you get all the idear from the oxy book??

Wow! I ordered the book last night after reading these posts and browsing Stone's website. I can't wait to read the book.

I am interested in doing my own fills and blending. I was looking at the cost and comparing it to my LDS and wondering how long it would take to 'recoupe' the investment. There is the initial purchase and then the consumables and maintenance.

This reminds me a little of when I was into Homebrewing beer. I loved making it but from a cost perspective I never brewed enough to save money. It was however very fun and I learned a lot and met great people in the club.

Anyone know if the station would pay for itself if doing only air and nitrox fills? There are four of us diving in my family so I would think that maybe I could recoupe the investment in about two years. I based this on 1000 fills as the break even point.

Any oppinions or comments on the financial aspect?

DrDuktayp

Guess it depends on how much fills cost vs. a cylinder of O2. It costs me $7.75 to fill my own vs. $12 at the LDS. I spent $375 total to get started including fill whip, analyzer and first cylinder of O2. I transfill from a scuba tank with air to bring the mix to a below 40% blend, then drop off at the LDS for a top-off... So it's $3.75 in O2 + $4 for the 2 tanks to be filled at the LDS... Is it worth it ... I don't know yet - O2 is very expensive around here, but it's been a great education whatever I decide to do. I took all my info from the Oxy Hackers book also...

Aloha, Tim

Ok fineily got my books i ordered, it took some time to reach here in Australia, can,t wait to read Oxygen Hacker,s Companion book , lots of reading , hopeing to start with o2 1st then upgrade to trimix latter,
Excellent books highy recommended!

cheers

kidspot:
I spent $375 total to get started including fill whip, analyzer and first cylinder of O2.

You must have gotten one screaming deal on a compressor! Don't think I've seen one for under about $2600.

gkndivebum:
A friend of mine and sometime dive buddy dropped by the house a while ago. In a previous
life he was an insurance adjuster. I happened to be blending at the time; he suggested that
I hide all of this stuff (especially the O2) if my insurance agent ever wanted to come over
for dinner :wink:

My insurance agent was also my cave diving instructor and probably has more O2 laying around than I do. LOL

DrDuktayp:
Wow!
Anyone know if the station would pay for itself if doing only air and nitrox fills? There are four of us diving in my family so I would think that maybe I could recoupe the investment in about two years. I based this on 1000 fills as the break even point.

Any oppinions or comments on the financial aspect?

DrDuktayp

For many of us it isn't just the cost of the gas but the cost of the time it takes to go out of the way (sometimes FAR out of the way) to get gas. The closest dive shop to me is about 60 miles and all they have is air. If I want nitrox or trimix I have to go to Cicago or Indy (if you can even get it there). For trimix it would likely take a trip to drop the tanks off and one to pick them up. Half of these shops aren't open late enough for me to get to unless I miss work time to do it. Just a hand full of gas fills and the missed work and travel associated with it would just about pay for a small compressor.

MikeFerrara:
For many of us it isn't just the cost of the gas but the cost of the time it takes to go out of the way (sometimes FAR out of the way) to get gas. The closest dive shop to me is about 60 miles and all they have is air. If I want nitrox or trimix I have to go to Cicago or Indy (if you can even get it there). For trimix it would likely take a trip to drop the tanks off and one to pick them up. Half of these shops aren't open late enough for me to get to unless I miss work time to do it. Just a hand full of gas fills and the missed work and travel associated with it would just about pay for a small compressor.

you beat me to it ,that,s what i was going to say!
cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom