P-Valve, care & use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The key to the whole system is the condom catheter and one place you don't want to skimp out. Everyone I know uses Rochester wide bands, can be purchased here https://shop.lhbindustries.com/ShowProduct.aspx?ID=104. The trick is to do some man scaping and to clean yourself well before application. You will also want to cut about half the tip off the condom "preferably before you put it on" this will help prevent the extra material from kinking. As for removal baby oil works wonders for softening up the glue.

You will also want to cut about half the tip off the condom "preferably before you put it on" this will help prevent the extra material from kinking. .

This is a good point. Often the norprene tubing is the most rigid part of the whole setup (there's a joke in there somewhere), so often your junk or the catheter will be twisted by the tube if the tube wants to go in its own direction. The most common side effect of this is that the tip of the catheter where you plug in your piping will twist and kink. I always perform a "circumcision" prior to the first dive. I grab my cutting device and cut half of rubber tip of the catheter off. Before I started doing that I would get kinks and it took me too long to figure out why.

One other point that was a good one is adding a McMaster-Carr parts QD. It makes life easier. I think someone posted the thread with the part numbers. If you can't figure it out, I can post a photo of mine so it makes more sense.

This is a good point. Often the norprene tubing is the most rigid part of the whole setup (there's a joke in there somewhere), so often your junk or the catheter will be twisted by the tube if the tube wants to go in its own direction. The most common side effect of this is that the tip of the catheter where you plug in your piping will twist and kink. I always perform a "circumcision" prior to the first dive. I grab my cutting device and cut half of rubber tip of the catheter off. Before I started doing that I would get kinks and it took me too long to figure out why.

One other point that was a good one is adding a McMaster-Carr parts QD. It makes life easier. I think someone posted the thread with the part numbers. If you can't figure it out, I can post a photo of mine so it makes more sense.

PLEASE tell us you are referring to the QD .......:shocked2:

Wow getting lots of good info (and great stand up material), didn't realize there was so much to know. Going to try that QD thing and all the other tricks posted. A photo of how the QD is set up would be nice. Thanks to all.

Ok, I've now done my first P-valve dives. Everything went pretty good, need to look into the QD thing, plugging in was fun. It sure was nice not to have to rush getting suit off. Several people did comment I was sure grinning a lot.:D

Here are the parts that you want from McMaster Carr as indicated in previous links:

5012K83 Acetal Quick-Disconnect Coupling Socket, 1/4 Cplg, for 3/8" Tube ID, with Valve
McMaster-Carr
5012K72 Acetal Quick-Disconnect Coupling Plug, 1/4 Cplg, for 3/8" Tube ID, W/O Valve
McMaster-Carr

If you need to replace the hose:
Hose:
51075K29 DURABLE NORPRENE RUBBER/PLASTIC TUBING, 1/4" ID, 1/2" OD, 1/8" WALL, BLACK
FORMULATION: A-60-G
McMaster-Carr

I have had in the past the actual coupling socket, 5012K83, fail and would not allow water/pee to travel through it. I didn't break it down to see why it failed, just replaced it.

You will want to order want to at least two (if not more) of the sockets and 4-5 of the plugs. The plugs are small and you will loose them. It does help to cut off about half of the tubing on the catheter as described above to avoid kinks in the system. Also after I have run my cleaning solution, 1/2 vinegar 1/2 alcohol, I put the plug back in and force air through it. You figure out how to get the air in there!!! Then just leave the plug in so it can dry inside.

Cutting the tube tip of the condom catheter is an excellent idea. I had a kink on my last dive that caused urine to go inside my suit and I'm sure the kink was in that tube.

I also replaced the stiff Norprene tube with a softer vinyl one, but have not had a chance to try it yet. My thinking is the stock Halcyon tube is too stiff, but I'll wait till trying my new tube before commenting.

Let us know when you try it, and definitely post a link to the stuff. A guy I was diving with a while back had a hose that went up around his neck and then back down for his p-valve, but it was this super light, transparent hosing. VERY flexible. Gross idea, but w/e.

A buddy has gotten rid of the majority of his Norprene tube and is using a straight shot from his "plumbing" to his p-valve with the Norprene tube straight up and his "plumbing" straight down.

Back
Top Bottom