P- Valve vs relief zipper vs depends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Si tech trigon is one of the best, people with issues are over pressurizing them in some odd fear of imagined disease drifting up the tube, just try to be smarter than the product being evacuated.

Si tech trigon is one of the best, people with issues are over pressurizing them in some odd fear of imagined disease drifting up the tube, just try to be smarter than the product being evacuated.
How are these "over pressurized"? I just attached the catheter, opened the internal valve and jumped in. Didn't think there was anything else to it.

How are these "over pressurized"? I just attached the catheter, opened the internal valve and jumped in. Didn't think there was anything else to it.
Rinsing, over pressurizing can disrupt the inside valve, simple to fix, slowly rinse and it can’t fail any more than the exhaust valve in you regulator.

Given how hydrated I stay when diving, that was never an issue for me. It's especially fun to try and pee on your dive buddies while talking to them pre-dive without them realizing it. :rofl3:
As for "priming," I usually try to stand a good distance away from where others are gearing up, stare off into the distance, and pretend I'm sipping water from my flask, reading my wetnotes or just staring off into the distance contemplating something deep. Bystanders who are not divers will not likely look down and notice the dribble coming from your leg.
Okay, in my best attempt to not sound stupid... if I have to prime the p-valve before descending, then how do you take the thing off without peeing on yourself? Do you stand over a urinal with the drysuit half off and remove?
As others have said, only a small amount of urine is left in the hose after a dive. With the drysuit top off, you can discreetly reach into your suit and take the cath off, which MAY result in some of that residual urine dribbling down the drysuit leg. I say "may" because the cath can be coupled to the p-valve hose using a quick disconnect (QD) coupler, and if you choose a QD coupler that has a built-in check valve, it will keep the liquid in the hose until you decide to flush it.

As for "priming," I usually try to stand a good distance away from where others are gearing up, stare off into the distance, and pretend I'm sipping water from my flask, reading my wetnotes or just staring off into the distance contemplating something deep. Bystanders who are not divers will not likely look down and notice the dribble coming from your leg.

As others have said, only a small amount of urine is left in the hose after a dive. With the drysuit top off, you can discreetly reach into your suit and take the cath off, which MAY result in some of that residual urine dribbling down the drysuit leg. I say "may" because the cath can be coupled to the p-valve hose using a quick disconnect (QD) coupler, and if you choose a QD coupler that has a built-in check valve, it will keep the liquid in the hose until you decide to flush it.
I know purists hate QDs but since this is internal, I assume it's not so bad? Worst case, you have to clean the suit because the real integrity is the p-valve itself?

Rinsing, over pressurizing can disrupt the inside valve, simple to fix, slowly rinse and it can’t fail any more than the exhaust valve in you regulator.
I've had leaks on two brand new valves where I hadn't ever rinsed them. I was so p!ssed off with the replacement as I walk into the water at Cove 2 and having a water squirt inside my dry suit on my leg. Never again. Never had an issue with Light Monkey or Halcyon. Fortunately, the SI Tech was on my ScubaPro dry suit which is also garbage, and I just wrote that one off and use it for practicing fixing leaks.

I know purists hate QDs but since this is internal, I assume it's not so bad? Worst case, you have to clean the suit because the real integrity is the p-valve itself?
I've never understood the argument by some against QDs. All I know is the system works for me.

I've had leaks on two brand new valves where I hadn't ever rinsed them. I was so p!ssed off with the replacement as I walk into the water at Cove 2 and having a water squirt inside my dry suit on my leg. Never again. Never had an issue with Light Monkey or Halcyon. Fortunately, the SI Tech was on my ScubaPro dry suit which is also garbage, and I just wrote that one off and use it for practicing fixing leaks.
Probably not a trigon. It’s simple and robust, operator error is the only issue, it uses the typical mushroom valves that are used in all sort of scuba gear, balanced and low profile, no natural rubber duck bill to-rot and no forgetting to open the snag bolt.

Probably not a trigon. It’s simple and robust, operator error is the only issue,
What possible operator error could there be? I attach the condom catheter. Flip the inside valve to open. Go into water.
it uses the typical mushroom valves that are used in all sort of scuba gear, balanced and low profile, no natural rubber duck bill to-rot and no forgetting to open the snag bolt.
After two strikes, SiTech is out for me. Glad you have better success.

What possible operator error could there be? I attach the condom catheter. Flip the inside valve to open. Go into water.

After two strikes, SiTech is out for me. Glad you have better success.
Out of curiosity, have you tried the Trigon model by chance? Just asking because it's one of the options on the Nova.

Back
Top Bottom