Package Deal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

laffslast

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey Everyone. I Am Looking At Buying A Set Up Pretty Soon. The Lds That I Did Training With Offered What Seems To Be A Great Deal. Any Input On It Would Be Much Appreciated.

Oceanic Vt3 Transmitter And Wrist Computer (new) $750
Zeagle Escape Bc (new) $350
Used But Refurbished Regulator & Octo (i Can't Remember The Brand) $300

Does This Sound Like A Decent Deal? I Do Like The Zeagle Escape. That's What I Was Trained On And Haven't Used Anything Else. But I Think It Works Great. Anyone Know Of Any Packages That Are A Better Value?

This may be a good deal, and I'm a new diver myself and FAR from an expert, so others opinions may vary ( and be more useful), but:

If I remember right, the Vt3 is an air-integrated, pretty high end computer, which, while nice, might be a little more than a beginning diver would need -- it would certainly be more than I'd need to have.

While there's nothing wrong with having a better computer than you need, I'd question the logic of buying a brand new $750 computer with a refurb $300 reg. The regulator is what provides your air, i.e., IT KEEPS YOU FROM DYING! If I were on a budget, I'd rather spend my $$ on a brand new decent reg and a less expensive computer.

Only my $.02, IMHO, YMMV, etc.

-Paul

The price includes the octo and the first stage. They showed me the exact same set up that was brand new for $750.00. The regulator/octo combo is what they've used for training and take it out of comission after the 1st service and they sell it. Pretty much I'll be buying with everything I trained on except for the computer. Other benefits they said of buying with them.

-All maintenance on BC & Reg is free
-I will get the computer diving specialty class for free
-BC comes with lifetime warranty
-I get an air card with 25 free tank fill ups.

Thats a solid deal. Plus it enhances and perpetuates your relationship with your dive shop. If they rebuilt the regulator, I'm sure that they stand behind it, and its safe.

It sounds like a good deal to me. The lds will most likely stand behind the reg. I did the same thing when I started, except my lds sold both the reg and bc I used in class which saved me some change and the gear was less than 6 months old. I would agree with buying a computer, but I might not opt for an air integrated computer starting out. I have heard stories of new divers inadvertantly taking off the transmitter rather than turning on the tank! Not sure if these were true stories, but did make some sense. However, I would suggest getting the computer that works for you. Happy diving, and you will find it is easier to dive owning your own equipment.

I agree with
Divedoggie Thats a solid deal. Plus it enhances and perpetuates your relationship with your dive shop. If they rebuilt the regulator, I'm sure that they stand behind it, and its safe.

If it was pulled after the first service than the regulator is only a year old.

On buying a better computer than what you currently use---
I say go for it...you will most likey want to advance your scuba knowledge (as I have and Many MANY others) and you will grow into the computer instead of having to buy another computer.

Happy Diving!

Doesnt sound bad , but i'm not really into the AI computers . Swap it out for something better and use the saving for a compass and SPG , and you'll still save a lot in the long and short run.

They Told Me The Vt3 Was The Top Of The Line. Is There Something Better? I Know It Was The Most Expensive One They Had There.

Hi Laffslast, welcome to Scubaboard. I just bought a brand new set up myself, and although I'm not a master diver, I am a master "shopper". One thing I can suggest to see what kind of deal you're getting is to call the guys at scuba.com (800-34-scuba)
When I was struggling over my purchase I chose them for the following reasons:
1. They are authorized to sell that they sell, so you don't get an aftermarket warranty
2. Although their advertised price might ot be as low as say "Leisure Pro", they will match any advertised price, from either authorized or NON- authorized sellers, so long as they can verify the reseller has the item in stock. That was huge. Translation: I bought an Oceanic regulator, computer, and BCD at Leisure Pro's price with a real Oceanic warranty.
3. When you call them you will be speaking to an actual scuba instructor, not a phone order taker.
4. Shipping is beyond reasonable. I had two sets of Apollo fins, two BCD,s two regs, two octos, and two computers shiped from CA tp NY for $18.

Back to your original question, why not call them and just get a quote to see what kind of price you're getting on the equipment you're considering. You may find you can get it new for the same price.

Anyway, there are also lots of good reasons to buy from your LDS if you don't mind paying a premium. It seems they are giving you a lot of service and support for what they are selling. There's a lot of value in that, especially for a new diver. I didn't have a strong relationship with an LDS here as I'm not from this area and I don't dive locally. Financially, this was a bonus because I got my entire set up for what my LDS quoted me on just the reg, octo, and computer.

The last thing is, being a fairly new diver (less than 100 dives), I wasn't comfortable buying anything used or refurbished. Maybe down the road when I can really take the stuff apart and "McGuyver" it when I need to, I might consider something gently used.
You seem to have that covered as I'm sure your LDS will do any McGuyvering for you as well as maintaining it. However, keep i mind your gear will not always malfunction at home. If you travel as I do, it's nice to have a manufacturers warranty for parts when you're far away from your LDS.
Anyway, good luck with your purchase, and have many happy, safe, and fun dives!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom