Packing camera and housing for travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tend to be paranoid about the main housing o-ring......keeping it closed all the time puts pressure on it.....so I guess you could argue keeping it closed for a long period could increase wear. I store mine open inside a water/air-tight tupperware container.

I suppose worrying about keeping it closed for 24 hours during travel is probably more than a little paranoid....at least as far as the o-ring is concerned.

I would have camera/housing with me as a carry-on in my camera backpack

I always take out the o-ring out and store it separately, lubricated in a zip-lock bag. It never stays on the housing unless it is being used. I use the same housing you do.

dSLR Housing is in carry-on luggage along with strobes, batteries, chargers, and flat port/extensions. One camera body is in the housing, other is in "personal item" (2nd carry-on) - a camera backpack. O'rings are in place and housing is shut - even put an o'ring on the port cover. I change o'ring sets once I get to the destination. Relaxed set goes in housing, used set goes in parts kit to start relaxing...

Stuffing cameras and housings in the carryon works fine.. untill the bastards decide to actually weigh you carryon..

I carry-on a Pellican case with everything except the battery charger and spare batteries. I just don't lock down the housing or battery compartments on the strobes. On a trip, the housing and battery compartments stay open while in the room.

I assemble everything in my room and cover the camera with a wet towel during transport to and from a dive. I can get two to three dives on a charge if I am careful; I don't like opening the housing outdoors to change batteries. Fogs up almost every time even with moisture munchers.

Stuffing cameras and housings in the carryon works fine.. untill the bastards decide to actually weigh you carryon..
Only had this fight once in the old days when I carried a very heavy Amphibico video housing. Now everything is much more compact and fits into a non descript camera backpack (lowe pro of some sort) No one has ever asked to weigh it. It looks plain. Never attracts attention.

Good for you, but Ive had my "plain looking" carryon weighed a couple of times. Fine for me since Ive been within the weight limit, but not so fine for people whos been told to go to the checkin desk and pay an arm and a leg extra for their overweight..

Good for you, but Ive had my "plain looking" carryon weighed a couple of times. Fine for me since Ive been within the weight limit, but not so fine for people whos been told to go to the checkin desk and pay an arm and a leg extra for their overweight..
Maybe I have just lucked out and have been able to hide behind my dive buddy at the checkin counter? She always demands to handle the paperwork, so I try to fade into the background...

I carry a camera(travel) vest and the one time mine got weighed I took the vest out and put it on and started putting things in the pockets until I made the weight. Later I moved everything back into the pack.

I recently traveled from Toronto to Chuuk Island. A series of flights and lengthy. My two compact cameras were in small nylon cases in my backpack and the housings were in a Hard carry on case. In one I had removed the o ring, but on the other, simply unhatched slightly. All went well. I always loosen the battery compartments on strobes. Our friend, carrying an SLR in its housing, has it in a backpack designed for cameras. It is carried on.
I prefer to have the camera out of its housing for going through security. Just my preference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom