Packing camera and housing for travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While carrying the camera in the housing is great for saving a little space it is NOT recommended by those in the know. I have talked to those in the repair department at both Reef Photo and Backscatter where they have seen issues with damage to housing controls caused by camera being transported in the housing.

Phil Rudin

While carrying the camera in the housing is great for saving a little space it is NOT recommended by those in the know. I have talked to those in the repair department at both Reef Photo and Backscatter where they have seen issues with damage to housing controls caused by camera being transported in the housing.

I've looked at that issue very closely and think it has to come down to how it is packed. I really cannot see how anything - and I'm more worried about the camera itself - can be damaged if properly packed. I went back to carrying on rather than putting under after TSA started opening and going through checked baggage. I had significant damage done to various equipment as they did not take care in how they repacked gear.

As far as weight of carry-on - depends greatly on airlines. My standard roll-on luggage weighs 37# fully packed with photo gear. Just got back from Chuuk/Kosrae flying United. Their stated weight limit for carry-on is #38, so no problem. Traveled to Indonesia in 2010 via Singapore Airlines - I believe their limit was like 15# (7 or 8 kilos). I just tried to make it "look" light and never had a problem. Inter-Island flights in Indonesia and Philippines were a different matter as everything is weighted. Still allowed me to carry-on, but paid for the weight of all bags.

I've heard about the traveling photo vest as a solution, but don't think I could get enough into the vest pockets to make a difference as all the heavy items are bulky strobes and the housing. Not sure there is a pocket big enough for a dSLR housing... Still considering it for the future, however.

I've traveled with my Sony camcorders in their housings for years with no problem. They always go in my carry on surrounded by soft clothes. And they are always inspected by TSA.

I wouldn't put socks or other clothing in my housing though... could leave fibers that will pose problems later on.

---------- Post added March 7th, 2013 at 07:29 AM ----------

Phil Rudin

Certainly you raise a very good point with camera housings that have through hull controls. The ones I use all have had either magnetic controls or infrared and don't use through hull rods or other devices to control the camera.

Phil Rudin
this is interesting. i never even considered it. Do you any any further details? is it related to a specific housing or manufacturer?

I can not think of any possible way to damage the controls on any of my housings simply by transporting with the camera inside. the cameras are seated firmly & cannot move. i have canon, sea & sea and amphibico housings.

cheers...

I always remove the oring then lock or close the case and carry the camera separately in my carry on. If space is a rela issue could put something inside the case

All the housing manufacturer's manuals I've had, have basically all said the same thing -

Don't store your camera in the housing long term, remove orings for long term storage, but there is no problem traveling with the camera in the housing as long as you don't close it, this is only because of pressure differentials making it difficult to re-open the camera housing when you arrive at your destination.

All the housing manufacturer's manuals I've had, have basically all said the same thing -

Don't store your camera in the housing long term, remove orings for long term storage, but there is no problem traveling with the camera in the housing as long as you don't close it, this is only because of pressure differentials making it difficult to re-open the camera housing when you arrive at your destination.

I think you should remove the o-ring and close the housing - no pressure issues. Depending what kind of housing you have, the hinge or back plate would be exposed to damage if it wasn't shut securely locking it in place.

Phil Rudin

+1, what he said.

I generally travel with my camera gear in a separate bag from the housing and ports. Main O ring for the housing is always in a plastic zip locked bag as others have pointed out.

Very occasionally I have traveled with the camera in situ on a short flight (< 3 hours) when on a business trip where an opportunity to dive will occur (for me that is Jeddah). Never had any issues with the camera operating, just very curious security inspectors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom