Packing regulators for traveling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ccgutier

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone!
I'm new at traveling with my own gear, sine I've always used the LDS rental gear.
Anyway I have this 2 questions for packing the regulators,

Is it better to take them apart (first and second stage, octo, etc) and them assemble them at the destination or is it better to pack them already assembled?

Also, can I take the Regulators and dive computer on my carri-on?

Your imput would mean a lot to me.
Thanks!

Why take them apart? Seems like that may contrubute to unnecessary wear on o-rings and fittings. I just pack it all in a carry-on and go. Computer included.....oh, and welcome aboard and howdy neighbor.

Hello everyone!
I'm new at traveling with my own gear, sine I've always used the LDS rental gear.

Is it better to take them apart (first and second stage, octo, etc) and them assemble them at the destination or is it better to pack them already assembled?

Thanks!

We always leave everything on the Reg assembled. I wrap it all up in a towel :)dontknow: makes me feel better) and carry it in a small backpack as my carry-on. Never had a problem.

roll em up & stick them in your carry-on.....regs & computer.....

What everybody else said, stick'em in your carry on.

Yep...no need to take them apart...I have a reg bag and carry that and my computer as my "personal" item.

Assembled, in an old plastic combination briefcase handcuffed to your wrist with the combination and key on a bracelet on the other wrist.

On occasion I take mine apart so it fits onto the suitcase better but otherwise there is no need to dissamble them. IF you do, be sure to plug the first stage ports and cover the LP hose ends to prevent trash getting into them.
No problem carring regs or computers on board.

Hello everyone!

Thanks!

I didn't bother taking the regulator apart. I packed it in my regulator bag and took it as carry on with my VT3 computer. Security in NC and in Orlando let it through without question. (This past week). I was a bit concerned since this was my first trip with my own gear, but everything worked out well.

I put my whole kit: BC, regs, computer, mask, SMB, dive skin, 3 mill wet suit and a small camera in one carry on. My fins go in my checked luggage. A Zeagle Tech Express and Miflex hoses help greatly in getting it all in.

I will always travel with my own gear even if it is for just 2 dives on a cruise. I ran across one dive op that had bad or broken equipment and no spares which made me real glad I had my own gear. It is not so much about familiarity with the gear as it is about knowing that my gear is well maintained and works.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom