Packing, Travel and Diving Tips for the SB SURGE 2024 to the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ROXANNE

Artist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Packing, Travel, Resort Info, and Diving Tips
for the ScubaBoard SURGE 2024 to the Philippines

Well, we are getting closer to the SB SURGE 2024 to the Philippines!!!!!
I'm sharing some ideas and info
you’ll need to prepare for this adventure.
If you have great tips to share, feel free to add them to the thread below.

Any newly updated info will be added in GREEN to these 1st initial posts.
So you won't need to search for changing information!

General Travel Info

Anytime you are traveling outside of your normal area and country.
For our Canadian Crew, please follow through with your country's resources.

Resources for US citizens.

CDC Destinations/Travelers Health Info
STEP Smart Traveler Enrollment Program

Add this info to your phone or papers in case of an emergency.
US Embassy Info
U.S. Embassy Manila
1201 Roxas Boulevard
Manila, Philippines 1000
Telephone+(63) 2 5301-2000 Emergency+(63) 2 5301-2000 Fax+(63) 2 5301-2017 Email
ACSInfoManila@state.gov
Website
U.S. Embassy Manila

If you have any health or medication questions concerning travel or destinations, please check with your doctor. Don't rely on anyone else's opinion.

Interesting Links on The Philippines

Philippines Tourism
A History of the Philippines
Maps of The Philippines

Travel Checklist
I have a travel checklist that I keep on file and print out for each trip.
Create your own master list, save it and you'll always have a packing list to print out and check off for all your future trips.
It's also a good thing to start thinking about packing early, in case anything needs to be serviced, repaired, or ordered before you go.

Essential Items
Passports
(I also make a copy of it and put it in my carry-on)
Driver’s License or if you don’t have one, some other form of picture ID.
Diving Certification Cards (I also make a copy of it and put it in my carry-on)
DAN, Diving, and Health Insurance Cards
All Resort Accommodations, Inter-island Airfare, and Itinerary confirmations have been emailed out from the resort. Please make a paper copy in addition to the email to keep with you.

ScubaBoard Waiver, All waivers have been emailed out for E signatures.

Cell Phone Service

Check with your provider for available services on your mobile plan.
Alternate ways to call home.
Facebook and Instagram, you can voice or video chat through the messenger.
Skype to Skype is free or Skype to a toll-free number is free, or you can add money to your account like a calling card to call.
Zoom
and WhatsApp is still widely used outside of the US.

Credit Cards, ATMs, and Cash
The local currency is the Philippines Peso (Php) and Atlantis accepts cash, both US and PHP, VISA, MASTERCARD, or AMERICAN EXPRESS. Personal charges, resort gift shops, rentals, spas, and excursion purchases are billed in pesos. Payments can be made using either cash or credit cards. All major currencies are accepted (based on the daily exchange rate), but the change due will be given in pesos only. They do not offer foreign exchange services at the resorts. There are no resort charges for using credit cards for services and/or purchases, though your credit card may charge a foreign transaction fee.
Please note: We cannot provide cash advances on credit cards and we cannot process tips/gratuities by credit card. (TIPS are Cash only) USD cash may be accepted at some local establishments.
As of today, 10/21/23
1.00 US Dollar = 56.750181 Philippine Pesos
1 PHP = 0.0176211 USD
Visit www.xe.com for current exchange rates.

Prescription Medication (always keep it in the prescription bottle it came in along with your name on it) Bring a few days extra supply in case you have travel delays along the way.

Over-the-counter medications and first aid items that you may need.
Please keep in mind, that many items are not readily available.
Especially allergy medication if you have ever had an allergic reaction. I have a med pack for traveling with items such as band aides, sports wraps, Benadryl, Imodium, Advil, bug bite cream, etc. No aerosols.

N-19 Masks and Hand Sanitizer COVID-19, RSV, and the FLU are still with us and you should always have protection when needed.

Refillable Water Bottles for each person in your party
Tap water in the rooms is not safe for drinking or brushing your teeth.

It's also a good rule to avoid ice as it can be prone to bacteria. Always wipe the water or moisture from the tops of cans and bottles before opening.

Sunscreen
(Try to use products if possible for the coral reefs' health)
I found this wonderful line of reef-safe products Stream2Sea | EcoConscious & Biodegradable Sunscreen. They also have a line of mask defog, shampoo, body wash, etc.

Sunglasses and an extra cheap pair for the boat (polarized are better for gazing into the water)

Hats

Bug spray
(Insect repellent is recommended.) FYI, They do have some available in the gift shops.
Near sunset and sunrise are the worst times for mosquitoes and no-see-ums. Here are a few products. Here's a comparison of the Best Insect Repellants for Noseeums. Also, keep in mind, that Noseeums are attracted to darker clothing.
Always remember not to leave your room door open or you may invite them into your room.
FYI Gardeners Tip, Did you know that if you put soap on a bite right away, leave it on, and don't rub or scratch it, many times it will alleviate the itch and swelling? So, I usually carry a small handy bottle with me.

Woolite or those all-in-one washer sheets if you plan on washing the funk off your clothes or dive wear in the sink/tub. Don't forget some close pins and lightweight rope too. They help when hanging items up for drying. There’s also laundry service at both resorts.

A light jacket, it goes on the plane with me as well. (Many of the airports and sometimes the planes can be very cold.)

Tennis Shoes if you're planning on going on inland Island excursions and also great to protect your feet from injury while traveling.

Airline Travel Tips
Please keep in mind, these are recommendations. The airline you're using has the final say. So always check with your airline.

Due to current delays and security measures, you'll need to allow more time for check-in, security screening, and boarding flights. Please check with your airline before departure for the latest recommended arrival times and security guidelines.

I also recommended you have a government-issued picture ID along with your passport available at all times, as well as a printed itinerary if you're using an electronic ticket.

CARRY ON
IDs, Credit Cards, Cash, etc.
Prescription Medication
Prescription Glasses/Contacts/Mask
N95 Masks and Hand Sanitizer
Jewelry/watches (I recommend leaving these at home unless absolutely needed.)
Any Cameras/Phones/Electronics/Housings
Rechargeable batteries in individual cases or bags
(store in a couple of areas of your case, not all in the same place.)
Dive Computers
Dive lights (take batteries out or for rechargeable lights, put in locked mode.)
Disposable Batteries

Carry-On Luggage Restriction:
The Philippines Office for Transportation Security has issued new rules that include ‘Scuba Diving Equipment’ (including regulators) on the list of blunt instruments that are not to be in carry-on/cabin baggage on flights originating within the Philippines. Please ensure that all scuba equipment is secured within checked-in baggage on all domestic flights and on all departing International flights.
I just wanted to update everyone on the Philippines government luggage and regulator regulations. It is no longer necessary to pack your regulators in your checked luggage. So you may carry them where you wish.

CARE WITH ITEMS THAT YOU CAN’T AFFORD TO LOSE
Important items that you couldn't do without such as prescriptions, contacts/glasses, IDs, Credit Cards, Cash, N95 Masks, etc., carry in your personal item or on your person. Do Not pack these items in your carry-on. Sometimes a carry-on will be moved to checked luggage if they run out of room and you don't want to be without those important items.

Check with your Airline for specific rules as to what's accepted, size and weight limits for luggage, and procedure for checking in, as these seem to be changing constantly. For anything in question or liquid form, check with your airline.

Making the most of the luggage weight restrictions and packing
(Don't forget, Men and Women are allowed to have a personal item purse/backpack/briefcase/man purse in addition to their carry-on. So make the most of it!)

I have a large purse as my personal item that I use just for flying. The personal item will need to fit under the seat. It is usually not weighed, so it's great for a few heavier items. Just make sure the items you put in your personal items can be carried on and do not need to be placed in checked luggage. (Again always check with your airline.) Also, don't store your personal item in the above compartment with anything of value in it. Personal items are easy for someone to access and you won't be able to watch over them while sleeping.

Dress for comfort and versatility while traveling, loose-fitting, breathable, layers, and pockets are great. Think about lightweight items when packing. Inexpensive t-shirts (like Hanes or Fruit of the Loom) are very lightweight, come in multiple colors, are great, and can be left behind if you shop too much in town. Lightweight dresses, shorts, and tops are great for ladies. Think khakis or other lightweight fabrics over jeans. Also, Lighter colors help to deter biting insects. Dress is very informal and casual at the resorts.

Shoes
can weigh a lot too. Even thou it's a pain at the airport, I'll wear my tennis shoes (slip-ons) as they weigh the most.

Compression Socks and Baby Aspirin (check with your doctor) are recommended to alleviate foot and leg swelling and the chance of getting blood clots on long flights no matter your age or fitness.

A light jacket, it goes on the plane with me as well. (Many of the airports and sometimes the planes can be very cold.) It's also great if they have pockets should you need to remove weight from your luggage.
When seated and buckled on the plane, it's easiest to slip your jacket on backward from the front and easy to take off if you get warm. You won't need to struggle or remove your seat belt.

An extra super lightweight small folding bag or pouch if you need to move things around at check-in.

Travel pillows, ear plugs, noise-reducing headphones, and eye masks can be helpful for sleeping on long flights.

Small toiletry items such as a mini toothbrush, floss, facial wipes, antacids, over-the-counter pain relievers, mints, gum, change of undergarments, etc. can help make long flights more bearable.

Snacks, think slow-energy release snacks like cereal bars, nuts, or dried fruit.

Water, buy a bottle of water before boarding for the flight. You never know if there's a safe place to fill a refillable bottle while traveling. You can also add any water to that bottle that the cabin crew brings around. Long flights can be very dehydrating and make you more prone to blood clots, so drink your water. Hydrate, hydrate, and hydrate!

Avoid caffeine and alcohol, it can contribute to dehydration.

Exercise, It's important to keep that blood flowing no matter what your age or fitness. Walk and stretch before getting on the plane. Then, once in the air, get up from time to time and walk or do exercises and stretching in your seat.

A tablet, mp3 player, or book can also help to pass the time if you get tired of watching movies. Download some of your favorite movies, series, audiobooks, and podcasts before you travel to make the time fly.

A personal travel hand scale is an invaluable tool so you don't have surprises when getting to the airport on your flights.

Put your name, address, and phone number inside all your bags including your carry-on and personal items in case they become lost or separated from you.

Put some of each person's items in each checked bag. That way if one of the bags gets lost, you still have some of your things. If you're a solo traveler, try to fit in at least 1 extra of your undergarments in your carry-on. Outerwear is easier to purchase if your bags arrive late or are lost, but trying to find undergarments for purchase can be more difficult.

Some additional tips on surviving long flights
26 tips to help you survive a long-haul flight
Experts Reveal 23 Tips to Survive a Long-Haul Flight
Travel/Packing Tips for Long Flights
Gadgets for long travel

Inter-Island Airfare
Roundtrip airline transfers between Manila and Dumaguete are included with our package.

Here's the link to Cebu Airlines Checked and Carry-on Baggage Info

For Cebu Pacific, our domestic tickets include 32 Kg/70 lbs. of checked baggage.
This can be upgraded to:
40 Kg/88 lbs total - $50 round trip add on
55 Kg/121 lbs total - $105 round trip add on
60 Kg/132 lbs total - $115 round trip add on
70 Kg/154 lbs total - $130 round trip add on

Additional luggage fees for both airlines may be charged to personal bills at either resort. Confirmation of upgraded weight requirements requires 4 days advance notice of flights. Maximum weight per bag cannot exceed 30 Kg/66 lbs.80 Kg/176 lbs total - $150 round trip add-on.

If you can stay within those weight limits, great!
Most of us will have 2 50 lbs checked bags each, :p

So expect to pay more as listed above. At least the additional fees are for round trip and not each way.
Airline fees can also be subject to change.

A maximum of 15 pounds of carry-on luggage on domestic flights is strictly enforced.
If you feel overweighted in your carry-on, this is where those extra pockets on pants and jackets can come in handy. They were a little strict about the carry-on weight last time and tended to weigh several bags. So be prepared.

You can also have a personal bag or purse, just try not to overpack it. Again, having the option of pockets, then once on board, items can be moved to your purse or carry-on.

Atlantis Resort Info

All Resort Accommodations, Inter-island Airfare, and Itinerary confirmations have been emailed out from the resort. Please make a paper copy in addition to the email to keep with you.
Resort Website
Atlantis FAQ
For the Crew, if you have not already done so, please register individually online with Atlantis:
This will help speed up the check-in process and for them to better prepare for any dietary or other needs you may have. You'll need your resort booking #, a photocopy of your passport and vaccination card, along with your Diver Insurance policy number. Here's the link.

Atlantis Online Registration

Puerto Galera Weather
Max: 83°F
Avg: 79°F
Min: 76°F

Dumaguete Weather
Max: 84°F
Avg: 80°F
Min: 76°F

All rooms are equipped with
  • Climate-controlled air conditioning
  • Fully stocked mini-bar
  • Supply of emergency toiletries
  • Adjustable ceiling fans
  • Ensuite facilities (bathroom)
  • Solar-heated hot water
  • Cable T.V. with free movie and sports channels
  • In-room safety deposit box
  • Coffee and tea-making facilities in suites (do not use tap water)
  • High-speed wireless Internet available in all rooms
Hair Dryers are available at the front desk if needed.
Do NOT bring a hair dryer or curling iron from home. See the electrical converter below. It can not handle those types of appliances.

Water
Tap water in the rooms is not safe for drinking or brushing your teeth.

A refillable Water Bottle is recommended for each person in your party.
Filtered water served in the resort restaurants and dive shops is safe to drink and free of charge; you are welcome to refill bottles to take to your room.

Electricity
- Electricity in all rooms is 220V (you will need a converter, not an adapter for use in your room.)
Here are links as an example of what you need. We have the Bestek as it has plugs and USB ports.
BESTEK Universal Travel Adapter 100-220V to 110V Voltage Converter
Samsonite Converter/Adapter Kit with Pouch, Black/Red, One Size
There are 120V (American-style) outlets in the camera room only.
Here's an image of the room outlets.
1697983386440.png

Restaurants
All meals at Toko’s Restaurants
(Included with Breakfast only - breakfast drinks, Italian and specialty coffees)
(Not included - shakes, or after breakfast, breakfast drinks, and Italian and specialty coffees)
Food safety: We highly recommend that you eat all your meals in the resort. While many will tell you it is okay to eat food from local establishments and street vendors, please be advised this is a developing country and refrigeration is often nonexistent. Items the locals or even expats living there have no problem consuming can make those unaccustomed quite sick.

Bar
All drinks (house brand liquors, domestic beer, and sodas included)
(Not included - Top-shelf drinks and specialty liquors are not included)

Pool
Poolside service includes snacks as well as our entire drink menu. Pool towels are provided in your room. Shade trees abound around the pool offering the perfect combination of sun and shade.

Spa Services
If you ever wanted to enjoy spa services this is the time. Their pricing is incredible!
As an example,
Massages from 30 - 90 mins run from 1095 php ($20 US) - 2995 php ($55 US)

Gift Shop
A few surprises for the dive enthusiast including equipment and accessories. We also stock practical items such as sunscreen, t-shirts, swimwear, sarongs, caps, and a selection of unique silver dive jewelry. But most popular, is our selection of beautiful native art showcasing an assortment of bowls, vases, picture frames, and much more made out of coconut wood. There are also travel books, fish books, and postcards.

Atlantis Cares Community Children Education Projects

Atlantis Resort Excursions

Puerto Galera Excursion Info
Sunset Cruise
Tamaraw Falls
Mangyan Village
Golf
Kayaking
Walking, Trekking, Running
Tukuran or Hidden Paradise
Beach & Island Hopping
Day Trip to Verde Island

Dumaguete Resort Tours
Day Trip to Apo Island (included in your package)
Day Trip to Oslob Whale Sharks (Pack a snorkel if you're planning on this excursion)
Dumaguete City Tours
Malatapay Market
Twin Lakes
Quad Bike Tour
Bird Watching

Diving Info and Tips

You will get spoiled by Atlantis!
They carry all your gear and set it up for you.
Each resort has gear and camera rooms.
We'll be diving in groups of 6 on small boats with a DM guide,
except if Bangkas (larger boats) are used for diving day trip excursions.

Puerto Galera Diving, Facilities, and Maps
Water Temps
Max: 28.7°C / 82.5°F
Avg: 27.3°C / 81.1°F
Min: 26°C / 79.8°F
Dumaguete Diving, Facilities, and Maps
Water Temps
Max: 28.2°C / 81.7°F
Avg: 26.9°C / 80.4°F
Min: 25.7°C / 79.2°F

The age-old question of Skin or Wetsuits-
Tropical weather is the norm, but you can get some cooler upswells from deeper waters. See the water temps above. Please remember many of you will be doing quite a few dives, and over time with multiple dives, you lose body heat, so plan accordingly. What you feel comfortable in for the 1st few days may not be enough during the last week or on night dives. It's also important to keep your core warm and your head to reserve heat. For myself, I wore my lavacore or 3mil wetsuit and my do-rag on my head. You need to plan if you're usually on the cold side or warm side, for your needs. You can try layering with a hood/beanie or a vest too. Warm showers are also available to help take the chill off when you 1st get out of the water along with warm refreshments.

Water Visibility varies based on the site, but is generally very good, ranging from 40 to 80 feet at coastal sites and up to 125 feet at both Apo and Verde Islands.

Tanks are yoke or DIN so an adapter is not needed. All tanks are 80 cu ft/12 L.

Camera rooms are climate-controlled for the perfect place to set up your cameras. They're equipped with large work surfaces, both 220 and 110-volt outlets, air guns, paper towel dispensers, a shelf running the length of the work surface for battery chargers, and fluorescent under-shelf lights for additional illumination.

A lightweight cooler bag is a great way to carry and protect those bigger underwater cameras and the smaller ones too! They give the camera some protection and are easy to fold up for packing, lightweight, and rinse out easily. I have also found the little neoprene drawstring bags with clips are great for protecting your Go Pros on the poles or trays.
This is a good time to get your gear serviced! If it's new or has been serviced, I strongly suggest getting in a pool/dive session to make sure everything works and you feel comfortable with the gear.

Your feet can get blisters and abrasions while diving for multiple days, so I wear thin socks or dive socks. It also helps your feet slip into your wetsuit! You may want to wear dry/open-toed shoes in between dives to allow your feet to dry out since we'll be diving for multiple days.
Atlantis is not allowed to build docks in front of their resorts which means when boarding the dive boats, you will walk a few feet through the water. For those with booties, it’s not a factor. For those with full-foot fins, bring water shoes to use.

Dive Sticks Many times a photographer or diver needs to get close. A Dive Stick is not a substitute for excellent buoyancy but it can assist you by providing greater stability. Close quarters, currents, and odd angles tax even the most experienced underwater photographer and diver - the Dive Stick adds that safety margin to view the subject and leave only bubbles. It can also help you place yourself in a spot to rest or catch your breath in currents and where there are many poisonous critters that you might not be able to see. You always want to stay off the coral and bottom.

Washing Neoprene Gear, some Woolite, sink the stink, or those all-in-one washer sheets if you plan on washing the funk off your clothes or dive wear in the sink/tub. Don't forget some clothes pins and a lightweight rope too. They help when hanging items up for drying. Also after the last dive before travel, roll your pieces up tightly in a towel to absorb excess water before hanging up to dry. It will help them dry out faster.

Long hair, I use a do-rag to keep my hair under control. If I didn't keep my hair braided and covered like that, it would just be shredded. I also like to put some biodegradable conditioner in it while dry before covering it. Again Stream2Sea | EcoConscious & Biodegradable Sunscreen has a wonderful leave-in conditioner that works great and is safe for the environment. Some kind of covering is great for gals with shorter hair and guys to keep their heads from getting sunburned too. Unless you are bald, it is very hard to put sunscreen on your scalp.

Seasickness, most of our boat rides will be very short, 5-15 minutes except for excursions. If you're prone to seasickness, It's better to start seasickness medication the day before needed instead of the day of to help get it into your system.

TIPS are Cash only, Atlantis cannot process tips/gratuities by credit card. USD or PHP is fine.

As of today, 10/21/23
1.00 US Dollar = 56.750181 Philippine Pesos
1 PHP = 0.0176211 USD
Visit www.xe.com for current exchange rates.

Bring spare batteries for your computers, they can be hard to find in remote places.

SB Event Activities

This event is all about diving and enjoying the Philippines!
We will have a welcome on the 1st night at dinner in Puerti Galera.
A group picture at each resort.
And a farewell after dinner on the last night in Dumaguete.

Transfer from Manila to Puerto Galera

The Belmont Hotel is where ALL MEMBERS will need to Meet,
NO LATER than 8 AM on January 13, 2024
for transfers to the resort.

We'll then travel approximately 2 -2 ½ hours by private van/bus followed by a 1-hour Bangka ride. Bangkas are large outrigger boats with an inboard diesel and seat approximately 20-24 persons comfortably. The private van or bus will usually stop at a service station for refreshments and bathrooms. Be prepared to have your own toilet paper or napkins as many times those essentials can be sparse in public bathrooms. Please note that neither the pier where you meet the boat nor the boat has toilets.

Also please note, that if you're prone to seasickness, it's better to start your medication the day before instead of the day of travel to help get it into your system.

The thread is now open!
Please add your comments and questions for the trip below.
I'll answer your questions in your post and if needed,
add the information in green to the main posts above.
This helps to keep all the info in one place and hopefully, easy to find.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom