PADI AOW & Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cap335:
I noticed that you are a GUE Instructor. When you teach do you follow the training agency guidlines for the level you are teaching or design your own class.

When we teach a PADI class its expected that we teach it to PADI standards for that class.

Randy

Randy,

I'd rather this didn't turn into a PADI -v- GUE thread, but in response to your question, GUE, unlike PADI, provides for, even encourages, it's instructors to exceed standards when it can safely contribute to the students development. In other words, we have a wider latitude, but my point isn't whether or not an instructor may exceeds standards, it's more along the lines of that some standards are set so low that the class becomes almost meaningless as a result. Couple that point with the notion that some agencies preclude instructors from deviating at all from the standards, and what you wind up with are classes that purport to teach you one thing, but in reality only serve as a preview for future sales of continuing education classes.

Regards,

Mike,

I thought you always taught to the higher standard of

"I want my mommy won't cut it"
03.gif

MHK:
Randy,

I'd rather this didn't turn into a PADI -v- GUE thread, but in response to your question, GUE, unlike PADI, provides for, even encourages, it's instructors to exceed standards when it can safely contribute to the students development. In other words, we have a wider latitude, but my point isn't whether or not an instructor may exceeds standards, it's more along the lines of that some standards are set so low that the class becomes almost meaningless as a result. Couple that point with the notion that some agencies preclude instructors from deviating at all from the standards, and what you wind up with are classes that purport to teach you one thing, but in reality only serve as a preview for future sales of continuing education classes.

Regards,

Thanks to all! I asked the question because I don't want to buy a certification. I want to walk away with good skills and knowledge. I will certainly keep in mind the suggestion of just doing individual skills and concentrating on each one. Seems much more sound idea than four specialities in a weekend.

Also, I have looked at other agencies, but some of the courses seem to be geared more to tech diving, such as cave, trimix, etc. I think I'll spend my time looking at fishies. I'm a knowledge hog, so I'm always trying to learn more about things I'm involved in.

A great bunch of divers here!

Jack

If the people involved in some of the side discussions would please take them to PM, or start another thread rather than pulling this one off course, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

With PADI, they require two dives to become certified to use Nitrox.

The Nitrox class and exam has nothing to do with AOW, it is a seperate class.

However the diving side of the Nitrox requirement is...well just diving breathing Nitrox.

I combined that with my AOW, and did Nitrox on two of my AOW dives (I *think* Nav, and buoyancy). The diving side on Nitrox consisted of just planning the dive based on the percentage of O2, and then logging it with the instructor.

The major reason I chose to combine the diving portion of Nitrox with AOW was because by doing so it saved me about $60. This is typical, and most PADI shops will allow one to add Nitrox to any other class for a reduced price.

nitrox is the only course you can combine with another, as far as i know...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom