Padi Card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There needs to be a pre-scuba class - everything you should learn before taking a scuba class...

Damselfish:
There needs to be a pre-scuba class - everything you should learn before taking a scuba class...

... but how would you know the instructor for that course was current and affiliated ?

Oh i know...A pre-pre class :)

when I took my OW class through SSI I had the shop owner (an instructor certifier) teaching 2 guys to be instructors and they gave the class their instructor numbers and credentials the first night of class with out having to be asked, maybe just SSI policy or something. I know with SSI all instructors are required to be affiliated through a shop to teach which is nice.

String:
... but how would you know the instructor for that course was current and affiliated ?

Oh i know...A pre-pre class :)
Title: "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Scuba, But Didn't Know You Should Ask"

huskerdiver23:
I know with SSI all instructors are required to be affiliated through a shop to teach which is nice.

Unless of course you are, or want to be, an instructor independant from an LDS. :wink:

Some of you are making this harder than it needs to be. If concerned whether an instructor is certified by their agency to do a class again, simply ask to see their credentials.

I would have no problem showing you my bonafides to teach scuba. As noted earlier, any instructor that has a problem doing that is suspect.

huskerdiver23:
when I took my OW class through SSI I had the shop owner (an instructor certifier) teaching 2 guys to be instructors and they gave the class their instructor numbers and credentials the first night of class with out having to be asked, maybe just SSI policy or something. I know with SSI all instructors are required to be affiliated through a shop to teach which is nice.

I took a PADI O2 provider course and the first thing the instructor did was show us his card.
Ber :lilbunny:

Wow. This had really never occured to me. What a bummer and a PITA.

In the past year, I have helped arrange for two family members to get certified through various combinations of classes and open water dives with various instructors, and I have picked up a handful of post-OW certifications as has my brother. In all those experiences with several different instructors in the past year alone, I have never thought of asking to see an instructor's card. It never occured to me that anyone would pose as a PADI instructor. Why not just actually *be* a PADI instructor?

Don't you have to be a current instructor to get those $15 forms that the instructor fills out to get the C card issued? And the student signs that. I suppose the instructor could have let his membership run out but have some old forms...

Since basically no aspiring OW diver is ever going to think of asking for credentials, it seems like PADI could take a measure. They make you fill out a great many pieces of paperwork...medical form, the "I understand this may kill me..." liability stuff...what if on one of those forms, there was a section that asked the student to enter the instructor's name, PADI number, and current expiration date copied directly from the instructor's card. Seems like if that were part of the process, then people wouldn't even try this stuff in the first place.

Oh, wait...fake instructor could use fake paperwork...probably no way to prevent these shenanigans entirely, since those completely new to diving will know nothing about what to expect of the process and won't be likely to smell a rat.

Dang...sorry for your experience. What a world...

Gregg

A fake instructor could just as well issue a fake c-card and the diver might go through life never realizing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom