PADI Cavern Cert Accepted by Others?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Guy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Question for "Traditional" Cave Training Agencies -- Is the PADI Cavern Card accepted as a Cavern Cert which would allow the holder thereof to go on to Intro with any other agency?

I can partly answer this for the CDAA as I've been looking into doing their cave courses in Aussie.... yes, PADI Cavern plus logged cavern diving experience is considered equivalent to the CDAA "Deep Cavern" course that is a pre-requisite for CDAA Cave.

Interested on what the other agencies stance is.

I can partly answer this for the CDAA as I've been looking into doing their cave courses in Aussie.... yes, PADI Cavern plus logged cavern diving experience is considered equivalent to the CDAA "Deep Cavern" course that is a pre-requisite for CDAA Cave.

Interested on what the other agencies stance is.

I think that you still need to do some kind of crossover for the CDAA, not 100% sure though... PADI has only just been added to the list of ones that will be recognised by CDAA too. I would imagine to do Cave you would need the same dive prerequesites as someone who has Deep Cavern.

(off topic, who are you doing your cave course with Andy? Up in Mt Gambier? I just did my Deep Cavern there, heaps of fun!)

I think that you still need to do some kind of crossover for the CDAA, not 100% sure though... PADI has only just been added to the list of ones that will be recognised by CDAA too. I would imagine to do Cave you would need the same dive prerequesites as someone who has Deep Cavern.

Yeah, the climbing/ropework needs to be covered in addition. And it's not a definite entry into Cave - it seems to be at the instructors discretion, or with approval from the CDAA standards director.

(off topic, who are you doing your cave course with Andy? Up in Mt Gambier? I just did my Deep Cavern there, heaps of fun!)

Not sure yet - I was hoping to come over in April, but I think that's off the cards now. It will probably be October and definitely Mt Gambier.... it's easier to fly to Mexico than get to Nullabor! I've narrowed it down to a few potential instructors - Jane Bowman and Warrick McDonald are certainly on the list. Jane is by all accounts a bit of a hard case, but very straight which would suit me quite well, I think. Who did your Deep Cavern?

Yeah, the climbing/ropework needs to be covered in addition. And it's not a definite entry into Cave - it seems to be at the instructors discretion, or with approval from the CDAA standards director.

Yea I think that is how it works.

Not sure yet - I was hoping to come over in April, but I think that's off the cards now. It will probably be October and definitely Mt Gambier.... it's easier to fly to Mexico than get to Nullabor! I've narrowed it down to a few potential instructors - Jane Bowman and Warrick McDonald are certainly on the list. Jane is by all accounts a bit of a hard case, but very straight which would suit me quite well, I think. Who did your Deep Cavern?

I did deep cavern with Andy Higgins, he was a really great instructor. I have heard that Jane + Warrick are good also. Anyway hope you can get over in October and enjoy the course :) I only did cavern last week actually - aiming to go back in early Feb for some fun dives!

I did deep cavern with Andy Higgins, he was a really great instructor. I have heard that Jane + Warrick are good also. Anyway hope you can get over in October and enjoy the course :) I only did cavern last week actually - aiming to go back in early Feb for some fun dives!

Andy was one of the other people I was looking at.... I bet February won't come around quick enough for you!!!!

<- End Thread Hijack ->

Sorry for dragging this off topic, Peter!

peter, no. i don't think they are accepted unless the instructor giving the padi card teaches for multiple agencies & can issue another card. and the ones i've seen - there's definitely a reason for that.

you know, i'd send rob neto a pm if i were you. i'm sure he knows for sure. or jim wyatt, or rick murcar.

Question for "Traditional" Cave Training Agencies -- Is the PADI Cavern Card accepted as a Cavern Cert which would allow the holder thereof to go on to Intro with any other agency?

I did my PADI Cavern Cert with Dennis from Diablo Divers in Puerto Adventuras a couple of years ago. I was assured by both Dennis and a couple of other highly regarded instructors that they would accept the PADI cert if you decided to move on to other classes. But like any instructor, you may have to do a couple of checkout dives with them first.:coffee:

Kelly

Andy -- no worries about the hijack!

This is just, at the moment, an idle question but was prompted by "the wife" who commented that if my Tech 1 buddy came down to Mexico with us in April (as he is threatening to do), as an MSDT with a Full Cave Card, I could petition PADI to get my Cavern Specialty Card and do a Cavern course for him. I'm just curious if it would mean anything!

Andy -- no worries about the hijack!

This is just, at the moment, an idle question but was prompted by "the wife" who commented that if my Tech 1 buddy came down to Mexico with us in April (as he is threatening to do), as an MSDT with a Full Cave Card, I could petition PADI to get my Cavern Specialty Card and do a Cavern course for him. I'm just curious if it would mean anything!

Have a good look at the instructor outline, Peter.... and make up your own mind as to whether the course is worthwhile!

Personally, I think the PADI Cavern course is fantastic, it's got all the skills that you would expect to see in any limited overhead environment course. The problem isn't the course, it's the people who teach it.

The first thing any cave instructor is going to do with a potential student is (or at least what I would do is...!) get the student to set up a line circuit and get them following the line, blind following, OOG following etc etc. I would guess that the how the student performed on the line is way more important than which agency issued their cavern card.

Back
Top Bottom