PADI Cavern Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I persl. have never really heard anything that would make me believe the general PADI Cavern course is not ok. It's probably as good as any other recreational level class when taught by a good instructor.

What I have heard from some parties is that a PADI instructor only needs 20 dives to become a cavern instructor,while some of the agencies require an institute and co-teaching. This is a reason why some instructors won't accept PADI cavern card.

That's part of it. You must be full cave certified, have certified 25 students (OWSI level courses), and have logged at least 20 full cave dives. No, it's not equivalent to the CDS or NACD institutes, but it's much better than it's been. And it's no worse than the other recreational agencies require. And not much worse than some of the technical agencies require. I agree that there should be more stringent requirements, but not all PADI instructors are poor instructors or out to just hand out cards. Some actually know what they're doing, even without going through an institute. The instructors that have a blanket policy of not accepting PADI cavern cards should reevaluate their policies and start evaluating these potential students.

The instructors that have a blanket policy of not accepting PADI cavern cards should reevaluate their policies and start evaluating these potential students.

I agree. I got a PADI Cavern cert. from a cave diver and did NSS-CDS Basic Cave Diver with a great cave instructor (Dan Patterson), that my Cavern instructor recommended.

That's part of it. You must be full cave certified, have certified 25 students (OWSI level courses), and have logged at least 20 full cave dives. No, it's not equivalent to the CDS or NACD institutes, but it's much better than it's been. And it's no worse than the other recreational agencies require. And not much worse than some of the technical agencies require. I agree that there should be more stringent requirements, but not all PADI instructors are poor instructors or out to just hand out cards. Some actually know what they're doing, even without going through an institute. The instructors that have a blanket policy of not accepting PADI cavern cards should reevaluate their policies and start evaluating these potential students.
The "problem" is that the NACD and NSS have a rigorous and thorough method of creating instructors that relies on the opinions of multiple people. There is no paper method of verification that can match this. This is why PADI cavern will always be viewed as "second-rate" regardless of the issuing instructor.

Remember, PADI Dive "Masters" do everything kneeling on the bottom. I am not sure that I would want to take a cavern course from an agency that condones kneeling on the bottom.

does PADI have any specific gear requirements for the course? or any gear that other agencies require that PADI Doesn't?

Like does PADI require a H valve and independent first stages?
what type of Reels does PADI require?
what about lights?

anything else that PADI Cavern has different requirements than other agencies?

does PADI have any specific gear requirements for the course? or any gear that other agencies require that PADI Doesn't?

Like does PADI require a H valve and independent first stages?
what type of Reels does PADI require?
what about lights?

anything else that PADI Cavern has different requirements than other agencies?
What agency requires an H valve for cavern? NACD/NSS-cds require 1 primary and 1 safety per team, 1 primary and 1 backup per diver, and other than that complete recreational gear if my memory serves correctly.

I was also told I needed a 7ft.hose on my primary reg.Not sure if its required though.

What I have heard from some parties is that a PADI instructor only needs 20 dives to become a cavern instructor,while some of the agencies require an institute and co-teaching. This is a reason why some instructors won't accept PADI cavern card.

No, unless there's a change in standards that I'm not aware of, Cavern Instructor has different requirements from most specialty instructor certifications.

If someone here can correct me please do (I'm on business travel so I don't have my reference material on hand), but Cavern Instructor requires that the instructor be full cave-certified (although only as a cave diver, not as a full-cave instructor), he/she cannot just have a required number of experience dives in an overhead environment.

While I understand that some instructors wouldn't accept a cavern cert from a recreational agency, I'd hope that they wouldn't base that decision on rumors like this one.

Remember, PADI Dive "Masters" do everything kneeling on the bottom. I am not sure that I would want to take a cavern course from an agency that condones kneeling on the bottom.

A PADI Cavern Instructor doesn't have to train with students kneeling on the bottom. Don't lump the cavern instruction in with OW instruction.

I'll go out on a limb and say that the majority of cave divers out there were OW trained on their knees.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom