PADI Certification too quick?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Hunk, like everyone has stated early today in your other post you need to slow down and realize you have a hell of a lot more to learn then you think. Your last stop was probably your "SAFETY" stop and not a "DECO" stop as you stated because with your lack of experience and training you shouldn't be doing "DECO" dives. If you put all your trust in your computer what are you going to do when that craps out and eventually it probably will it's just a matter of time.

You say you DON'T see why it's so dangerous and in your other statement above in this post about knowing everything you need to know after only 2 days of training, it just reinforces the fact of your inexperience, you are taking too many risks and have sooooo much to learn about scuba.

I was also wondering with your vast knowledge and qualifications in diving, how did you go about checking your buddy for DCI symptoms, how long after the dive did you wait and how often did you do these checks?

I don't mean to jump all over you but you keep posting and don't seem to realize what you are writing.

Scuba Hunk:
I said in a different thread that my location limits me to dive in this quarry and it is easy to get deeper than planned! I think some of your replies are very rude!
It doesn't say anything regarding depth limitation on my paper work and if it was that bad why isn't there a warning text or something!
We are having fantastic fun so I don't see the problem! We can stay longer on our dives and we both have a computer and if one packs in we have a spare!
After this post I'm starting to think Scuba Hunk is just trolling and yanking our fins. Maybe we should just ignore Scuba Hunk from now on and maybe he'll go away? What does everyone else think?

Scuba Hunk:
I said in a different thread that my location limits me to dive in this quarry and it is easy to get deeper than planned! I think some of your replies are very rude!
It doesn't say anything regarding depth limitation on my paper work and if it was that bad why isn't there a warning text or something!
We are having fantastic fun so I don't see the problem! We can stay longer on our dives and we both have a computer and if one packs in we have a spare!

I just read a post of yours in another thread to get "acquainted" with you.

Trust us pal, if you don't know why your gauge is "jumping" and it's getting harder to breathe at 50m (while using you inflator or otherwise), you don't know much at all.

I don't have anything against stupid posts in general, as I have made many here myself, which I regret, but ya gotta wake up sometime.

Stop dinkin' around.

He's kidding, right?

I'd sooner you laugh and say you where just yanking my chain!

Regards

Steve

I have never said that I know loads I said I knew enough for what we are doing! What is trolling? I am just trying to learn and you lot is jumping out of your wetsuits! I thought that Forums was for exchanging experiences and find answers to questions! Chill out!

Scuba Hunk,
It would well behoove you to remember what you say.
Your first post that I'm quoting is the last you made. Please look at the second of YOUR quotes.

Scuba Hunk wrote:

"I have never said that I know loads I said I knew enough for what we are doing! What is trolling? I am just trying to learn and you lot is jumping out of your wetsuits! I thought that Forums was for exchanging experiences and find answers to questions! Chill out!"

Scuba Hunk wrote previously:

"I took my OWD in 2 days and Learnt everything so why go on for 3 weeks? In the end of the day its not that difficult to blow bubbles! I am making my 10 dive this weekend and I feel that I know everything I need to know!"

With all due respect, which in this case is none, your second post has to be the most dangeroulsy arrogant post I have ever read on this board.

Scuba Hunk:
I have never said that I know loads I said I knew enough for what we are doing! What is trolling? I am just trying to learn and you lot is jumping out of your wetsuits! I thought that Forums was for exchanging experiences and find answers to questions! Chill out!

Trolling is posting something goofy just to get people going. Sometimes goofy posts that get people going though are sincere and not meant as a troll.

Your OW text recommended that you stay shallow (above 60 ft or so) until you got more experience or training.

The problem with you doing 60m dives is that you don't understand gas management for such dives (as demonstrated by the fact thet you guys ran low), you don't have the right equipment (as demonstrated by the fact that you had to surface before your computer gave you permission) and you don't know anything about decompression planning (as demonstrated by the fact that you're using that computer so blindly in the first place).

It would also seem that you aren't real clear on how to plan a dive and execute it as planned since you point out how easy it is to end up deeper than you intended.

If you're a troll eventually you'll convince us of that and we'll turn you off. If you're for real than I'm worried for your life.

I hope your just a troll.

I just read where Scuba Hunk said he may have mis-understood the meter vs. feet thing, meaning they said don't dive below 60ft and he thought they meant 60m!

That in combination with not having any "Real" concept of scuba diving depths/deco etc could easily lead him to "think" that 4 minutes at 30ft, 7 at 20ft and ..... was "Regular" scuba diving!!

(I had previously read where he said he got his Cert with DiveInn?? (Huh< I thought they sold equipment in Spain??) with some German guy in a harbour! Odds are good he didn't read any textbook on Rec diving)

Holy crap what an honest mistake to make!

Yikes!

Can you confirm S/Hunk?

If true, this would truly be one heck of a "Welcome to Scuba" Intro!!

Steve

Scuba Hunk:
First and foremost

PLAN YOUR DIVE AND DIVE YOUR PLAN

Dive planning is NOT "let's jump in, we'll go as deep as we like, and head up when the computer says to"

You should understand WHY your computer tells you the things it does. Then you can reasonably predict "if I do this, my computer is likely to tell me that."

Our replies are not necessarily rude - we're speaking out of concern for your well-being. With today's technology it's far far too easy to get complacent about divnig - just bear in mind that human beings are not designed to survive independently underwater - we cannot breathe water. We depend on the scuba gear, and air or gasses we bring with us, to get back to the surface alive. If something breaks or goes wrong it's not as if we can just stop the ride and get off.

Depth limitations - you shouldn't have to look at "paperwork". Basic Open Water limits are not to exceed 60' (that's 18m), no overhead environment, and no decompression. If your computer is suggesting stopping at any depth other than 15' (4.6m, although it may say 5) for 3 minutes, anything other than that is a mandatory decopression stop. I find it very likely, if you have been diving in excess of 33m/110' for any length of time, that your computer has been entering decompression mode. By the way, the depth limitation even for an Advanced Open Water diver is no more than 40m/130' by most agencies. Anything deeper than that is considered "technical" level diving and requires a LOT of experience and necessary training to undertake.

I don't know your specific quarry but some of them sure do go deeper than most recreational divers' certification limits.

Read your course manual. It will state the limits for your particular certification.

As for trolling, that is the act of throwing a statement or opinion out purely to push other people's buttons/get a reaction - such as saying "(insert agency here) sucks and produces dangerous divers" - you're bound to get a heated reaction or argument going.

I sure hope you're not serious about the diving you're doing...................................

Scuba_Steve:
I just read where Scuba Hunk said he may have mis-understood the meter vs. feet thing, meaning they said don't dive below 60ft and he thought they meant 60m!.......................

Holy crap what an honest mistake to make!

Yikes!

Can you confirm S/Hunk?

If true, this would truly be one heck of a "Welcome to Scuba" Intro!!

Steve

S/Hunk comment from the "Greetings" thread.......

"Oh **** so I have been really lucky then!"

I think it was an honest, albiet totally uniformed Ooooops.

Good to see things get sorted out.

HOOO-LEEEEEE CRAP..........."Discover Scuba" has a NEW meaning!!!

60m in 10 dives! "Really lucky" Uhmmmm OK. I'll buy that analysis.

$hit, and I spent Thousands on gear and courses :) What a scam :) Tehehehe

I'm getting my OW next week, and it's a fast course. Being one on one helps. I view the OW as a divers learners permit. It allows you to get some experience around other more experienced divers.

It's not so hard as to scare people off, or too simple that novices are being injured left and right.

If more people graduate, and then quite after a couple of years, how does that negatively affect anyone? If they quit in class, somehow that would be better?

At least the greater numbers brings prices down for those who stay with the sport, and more people get exposed to the sport upfront, and can decide with some experience whether to continue or not.

Afterall, some people may honestly complete every dive they ever want to make within two years.

Xanthro

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom