PADI Depth Limitations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gerry Rhoades:
I should have mentioned that his first real experience will be a week in Bonaire in August
I think it would be to his benefit and an aid to your peace of mind if he were to do the AOW course before going to Bonaire. He would then be better trained to follow dive briefings as well as what to do when things go poorly in the water.

Are you going with him? First day of diving, make sure the DM knows how new he is, but then - be prepared to follow your training if ever the DM leads in a way that conflicts with training. They do a lot of beach dives there; are you two going to hire a DM for those, or try to dive safely without one?

I can see where more training would be a very worthy idea.

Personally, I think the 60 ft. limit is a very good one. At that depth you don't have to worry too much about losing NDL time when you ascend, a nonlinearity which can become a factor at deeper depths. Also, you typically don't have to worry much about watching the NDL time, since your air consumption is probably the limiting factor in dive time.

Having read most of the posts here. most of us agree that the 60ft limit is a pretty good depth to adhere to until a diver has more experience.

thing mentioned were.
more rapid air consumption, lower NDL's. cold low vis lake water vs warm clear tropical waters.

I am gonna add Narcosis factors.
at 60 feet you are pretty close to 3 atm. if you subscribe to the version of martini's law were each atmosphere is like one martini then deeper then 60 feet is greater then 2 drinks worth. some people can handle the nitrogen other's can't. the question is do you want to find out with experienced supervison or with out?

oh and the depth limits aren't just a PADI thing. other agencies make similar recommendations. remember it is only a recommendation...if a diver disregards it and has a problem they have no one to blame but themself.

Gerry Rhoades:
How much of what PADI says is just marketing too make more money?

Part of it. And part of it a focus on safe diving habits that was somewhat lacking in 1985. I wouldn't be too quick to see corporate greed in the recognition that new divers should keep it shallow until they have some experience. To me it sounds like sound judgement.

Having said that, the difference between 60 and 80 ft is 20 feet. For most divers who watch their gauges and dive their plan responsibly that's the only difference they'll notice.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom