PADI is ready to celebrate its 20th million certification in 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the goal is, for every Big Mac sold at McDonnalds, there should be a new Diver certified by PADI :D

I can remember when the McDonalds sign had only hundreds of thousands sold (I lived near the second McDonalds in the country) and PADI didn't even exist.

Before I opened the thread, I bet with myself how many posts it would take for PADI bashing to start. I lost ... I thought it would be the second post, but it went on and on favorably, all the way to #7, before someone had to take a shot. :wink:

I can remember when the McDonalds sign had only hundreds of thousands sold (I lived near the second McDonalds in the country) and PADI didn't even exist.

Imagine what PADI could do if they got into the hamburger/fast food biz..... " Yes sir, that 1/5th pounder with cheese will be $4.00....Would you like to Upgrade that to the All Beef Burger, with the Advanced French Fry specialty ?"
:D

Before I opened the thread, I bet with myself how many posts it would take for PADI bashing to start. I lost ... I thought it would be the second post, but it went on and on favorably, all the way to #7, before someone had to take a shot. :wink:
That wasn't a bashing....it was good natured needling. No one can deny PADI has been good at "supersizing" Diving :D

Haaa I was thinking the same thing. Fairly predictable.

..... but it went on and on favorably, all the way to #7, before someone had to take a shot. :wink:

Even then #7 was not a bash, but (I read it as) a genuine question as to how many individual divers, distinct from the total number of certifications.

There has been no real bashing of PADI at all here (even after 3 pages!)

Jon T

I think the goal is, for every Big Mac sold at McDonnalds, there should be a new Diver certified by PADI :D

Dan, what are you even doing posting on this thread? You're the *last* person who could appreciate what PADI has done for diving. Your cynicism is beyond calculation yet in some ways everything you and your homies have done was achieved because PADI hacked out a path to follow.

IIRC you're NAUI OW certed and even *that* wouldn't have been possible if it weren't for PADI.

R..

Dan, what are you even doing posting on this thread? You're the *last* person who could appreciate what PADI has done for diving. Your cynicism is beyond calculation yet in some ways everything you and your homies have done was achieved because PADI hacked out a path to follow.

IIRC you're NAUI OW certed and even *that* wouldn't have been possible if it weren't for PADI.

R..
\
Hold up.....I really thought this was a fun, needling opportunity, and not anywhere close to bashing.

PADI is essential to the dive industry, but given their overwhelming influence, they ( and you :D ) should have no trouble laughing this off.... I have had to laugh off much worse DIR "slurring", by a mile !! :)

As to my 1972 NAUI cert, I don't think PADI was around in Western NY back then.....I grew up in Eden , NY, and had to drive to the big city ( Buffalo/ Niagra Falls area) to find a Dive shop... there were very few choices, I found Great Lakes Divers. They were NAUI, and an open water cert then, was far more involved than DM in PADI or NAIU now :D.

Hold up.....I really thought this was a fun, needling opportunity, and not anywhere close to bashing.

PADI is essential to the dive industry, but given their overwhelming influence, they ( and you :D ) should have no trouble laughing this off.... I have had to laugh off much worse DIR "slurring", by a mile !! :)

I guess if you're just having some fun then it's on me to lighten up. My apologies.

R..

No Problemo..... And just to underline this, not only do I appreciate PADI, I just picked up a PADI Rescue Cert myself, as needed a rescue cert for a project I am working on...And I can't say enough good things about the PADI instructor, Jerry Smith.

But hey, the hamburger stuff is still funny :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom