Padi Knowledge Review Pages?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lox

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Quick question.
Is it normal for an Instructor to ripe out the knowledge Review page from ones book when doing an Adventure Dive?
Just curious as my AOW instuctor is ripping out those pages after I've answered the questions and it seems like this would be nice to have down the road when doing refreshers.

TIA

Its normal, they become part of your permanent record. If you want to keep the pages in the book, write your answers on a separate sheet of paper for the instructor.

It's normal. I've seen people make photocopies to turn into the instructor to keep their books in tact. I would also be sure to get the PADI checklist sheet (I'm not sure of the official name). The instructor will sign off on the first dive of the specialty (ie - Deep, navigation, etc.) as you do Adventure Diver or AOW. This is good record keeping for if/when you do the specialty itself you don't have to repeat dive #1 nor the Knowledge Reviews (saves you from buying more books).

Actually it is not normal. Instructors are not required to rip pages out. Photocopies are acceptable. Why would you let someone ruin a book you paid for. Make him give you a new copy or your money back. They would be useful for later review. That you are asking this indicates you were not told it would be done. That is enough right there to question his actions.

I always give you the options..photocopy..rip them out..or write on a seperate piece of paper.
Personally I never write in books so I can use them again without cheating... Lots of people just rip them out of the book even given my options.. maybe your instructor is page tearer type, and just didn't think about us saver type?

I've never had a problem with any of 8 instructors. I just thought of xeroxing them before it was even suggested and just handed all of the copies in to all of them, including my DM course. I wouldn't worry if you're missing some KRs--they just riview exactly what's in the chapter anyway--I only re-read the chapters occasionally, never the reviews.

Thanks for the replies peeps !
When I get to these foreign Countries I feel a bit LOST as to what is supposed to happen!
It's "No Problem Mon" to them but to me I NEED to know. Heck I'm not even sure what is supposed to happen to get my AOW Cert. I understand I do 4 Adventure dives but what needs to happen to get my AOW Cert.? Heck they can't even find the paper work day to day!!

Thanks for the replies peeps !
When I get to these foreign Countries I feel a bit LOST as to what is supposed to happen!
It's "No Problem Mon" to them but to me I NEED to know. Heck I'm not even sure what is supposed to happen to get my AOW Cert. I understand I do 4 Adventure dives but what needs to happen to get my AOW Cert.? Heck they can't even find the paper work day to day!!

You should be doing 5 dives......
And Wu is right. PADI used to tell instructors not to accept photocopies because it was a copyright infringement, but really, it was so a book couldn't be used by someone else...
Now, they sell the books with the holograms on the wrapper and you have to have that to compete the course.....

I just copied mine anyway and then once, wrote the answers separately.

1) It used to be a PADI rule that the instructor had to keep copies of the Knowledge Reviews, in the student's record file, as proof that the classroom sections of the course had been completed to the required standards. PADI do not require that to be done now.

2) It used to be a 'rule' that PADI prevented instructors from photocopying the Knowledge Review pages from the manual, on grounds of copyright. This also helped to ensure that students could not 'share manuals' (PADI state that every student must have their own copy of the manual for the course and later review). Whilst it is legally correct that the manual should not be photocopied, there is nothing wrong with the student writing their answers onto a separate piece of blank paper.

3) The storage of the knowledge reviews serves a legal purpose, as it provides evidence that the student has certain knowledge and training. This could prove important should the student later have a scuba accident and then claim that they were not taught properly. Many instructors prefer to keep this system going, for that reason.

4) PADI instructors used to have to do save and file the knowledge reviews. This made it very normal that the pages were torn out of the manual. However, the rules changed in recent years, and this is not longer necessary by PADI standards. Now it is not 'normal' for them to do this. However, many still do for legal protection reasons.

I hope that clears it up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom