Padi Master scuba diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as I'm concerned, the value in the MSD card (or the rating) is the value you give it and your reasons for wanting it. If your goal is to challenge yourself in attaining the rating, then why not? If you take the easiest possible classes just to get the card, I can't see much value in that, other than card collecting. If you take classes and then ended up being able to apply for the card if you want, great - if you see the card as a recognition of your accomplishments, great, get the card. If the card doesn't matter to you, fine, celebrate your accomplishments without the card. At this point, I don't have the MSD rating, and I probably won't get the card when I qualify for it, but that's just me. Right now, I'm just curious what I'm going to qualify for first, MSD or MSDT, time will tell.

As far as showing a pro card to a dive op for a fun dive, if liability on a fun dive is your deciding factor about whether or not to do DM, then you probably shouldn't do DM.

He may be confused. It is necessary to sign off on a certain number of specialties/adventure divers for an MI qualification. Perhaps he mistook MSD for something along those lines.

And people, seriously. It's easy to get cynical about the MSD card but some people really do see it (or use it) to set a goal for themselves and take great pleasure and pride in achieving that goal. To me there's nothing wrong with that. It's not something I would personally work toward but I can certainly understand that not everyone is wired like I am and i'm not inclined to ridicule them for getting their motivation in different ways than I do.

As for all the negative comments about PADI selling a product with "no value" let me remind you that it may have no value to YOU. But YOU are not everyone.... Some people obviously wanted something to signify that they had reached an important milestone (important to THEM) or PADI wouldn't have created it..... and despite some people's (strange) allergy to businesses making money by offering products that people want to buy....that's how businesses are SUPPOSED to work.... they find out what people want to buy and then they sell it to them.

R..

I want a Supreme Master Diver card. Oh wait, was it a Master Diver Supreme card instead?

As far as showing a pro card to a dive op for a fun dive, if liability on a fun dive is your deciding factor about whether or not to do DM, then you probably shouldn't do DM.

Whoooooo Hooooooooo!!!!!!!!! Give that man a gold star!

I keep reading 'lying' coming up. When I've done charter boat trips, I've been asked to show a cert. card, but I don't recall specifically the 'highest' demanded. I've got a Rescue cert., but often hand over my AOW card.

Haven't had to lie about it. Haven't had to disclose my highest cert., either.

Richard.

I keep reading 'lying' coming up. When I've done charter boat trips, I've been asked to show a cert. card, but I don't recall specifically the 'highest' demanded. I've got a Rescue cert., but often hand over my AOW card.

Haven't had to lie about it. Haven't had to disclose my highest cert., either.

Richard.

I have been thinking about this also...since when does a MSD card invalidate an OW card, or a Rescue Diver card invalidate an AOW card?

I want a Supreme Master Diver card. Oh wait, was it a Master Diver Supreme card instead?

I'm guessing you can find an instructor willing to teach a distinctive specialty with one of these titles. And they sound so much better than working on a fishing boat as a Master Baiter.

As for worrying about additional liability with a DM certification, I've never been asked to do anything extra and am generally left alone to do my own thing instead of being herded with the pack.

I have the MSD card, but only because I didn't have to pay for it past taking the specialties. Now the LDS charges for it, so even though she has met the requirements my gf doesn't have the card and doesn't care.

She brings her nitrox and aow cards on trips, and I bring a tec card which shows I can use up to 100% and have never had any issues. While I am a PADI Pro, I don't carry those cards on trips because they simply aren't needed, not because I am trying to hide it from the dive center. I have never had a dive op try to get me to help in any professional role, and I would be quite surprised if it ever happened. That said, if something goes down, you better believe they will find out who all the divers were and who holds a Pro rating.

I use to think this was a logical line of thinking. Now being more informed, I realize lying about your qualifications for personal gain is pointless when the police show up at your home. Now you have to explain why you lied. In my renewed view on topic, I'd rather be as honest as I can from the start. As a professional you always retain two very handy options 1) Informing the charter operator you do not have them listed as additional insured, and 2) Refuse a liability waiver from the client signed under duress (i.e. I don't sign in 5 minutes and I'll miss the dive).

Why would the police be interested in that? If there is a death on an organised trip, why would the police be interested in the qualifications of other customers? If there is any issue of criminal negligence, the responsibility lies squarely with the dive operator.

That said, if something goes down, you better believe they will find out who all the divers were and who holds a Pro rating.

Why would the police be interested in that? If there is a death on an organised trip, why would the police be interested in the qualifications of other customers? If there is any issue of criminal negligence, the responsibility lies squarely with the dive operator.

I agree with Mustard Dave. The spector of getting sued simply because you were on a boat in which an incident occurred is raised frequently, and just as frequently it gets pointed out that there is no logical reason for this to happen, and, in fact, no one can think of a time in which it has happened. It does not concern me in the least.

You're an instructor, right...... oh wait......

You, of all people, should understand that what motivates one person does not motivate the other.

right?

Clearly, you wish to ridicule students who take achieving MSD as a matter of pride or who feel a sense of accomplishment.... To me that's illogical.... what kind of teacher puts his own needs ahead of those of his student and is willing to undermine the students' feeling of self confidence in order to affirm his own cynical point of view?

Never forget... as an instructor *you* are there for *them* and not the other way around.....

R..

Back
Top Bottom