PADI open water but got NAUI card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
really this isn't a red flag, its just a yellow one. if you actually do get a fill of 100% and tox at 30 feet and die, then i would suggest switching dive shops...

yeah sure. I'd switch shops and send a QA letter to PADI and NAUI. :D

I agree with your statements. But if you give a PADI or NAUI card, the diver needs to have run through ALL the performance requirements of that agency at one point. If you can just mix and match, then there is no point having an agency. I worked at an LDS where they gave the NAUI C-card on top of the PADI, but they actually made them do everything for NAUI as well. The price for the course was the same.

I agree with the benefits of whatever agency mentioned here, and that you should be able to be flexible. But one should be careful.
It could have been the Professional Association of Yo Yo Divers certification in some remote vacation location and then the student gets a PADI or NAUI cert. The standards are strict, because there is always stuff that gets fudged out in the "field". If you are too relaxed about it, even more will get fudged. Agencies need to look after this and this is understandable.

Whether this increasing c-card fetish is really helping the sport is another discussion.

solidgas:
He did go over some rescue stuff, and made us take off all our equipment underwater, including weights, and then go back down and put it all on underwater. I found that challenging, but was able to do it on my second try. We did this in the pool of course. But it wasn't in the PADI book.

I also had to do the kit removal/replace (including weights) on my PADI OW course, in the pool. It was in my manual, under the list of things that we were required to do in the pool training (somewhere near the front). My instructor had to sign these pages for my logbook to confirm that these skills had been completed, and passed satisfactorily.

If you never saw the NAUI manual etc during your course, only the PADI ones, then you should've got a PADI certification card...

Strange. :huh:

lamont:
since a PADI instructor cannot sign off on them having completed the PADI materials, to stick with actual standards this probably means having the student run through the entire PADI course again.

That's what I'd expect...

AlexMDiver:
yeah sure. I'd switch shops and send a QA letter to PADI and NAUI. :D
I don't see any violation of PADI training standards, since he wasn't issued a PADI cert.

There may or may not be a violation of NAUI training standards. Many people keep posting about the great latitude given to NAUI instructors. Doesn't that include being able to use alternate training materials? (in this case, PADI OW book).

It does sound like the NAUI instructor did cover some sort of rescue stuff in addition to what the PADI book covered, so it isn't all the farfetched to believe he really did meet NAUI standards, although in a rather unusual way. :)

Sorry this is off topic, but I've been reading the New Divers forum (I'm new here) and came across this quote. - I just washed my monitor was coffee - thanks lamont!

lamont:
so maybe you shouldn't have the NAUI card, but this puts you in exactly the same situation in terms of training as millions of PADI OW divers.

Rich

solidgas:
In May I completed my PADI open water course, and did the PADI test with the PADI manual. Yesterday, I went to pick-up my diver card and they handed me a NAUI card.

I signed up for a PADI course, I am sure, and when I asked the guy behind the counter he said my instructor was a NUAI instructor. I didn't have time to discuss my concerns because I was running late and had to leave, but I signed up for a PADI open water course, and was fully expecting to get a PADI certification.

He assured me there is no difference and that it really doesn't matter what certification you get. I don't know if I should be mad or not.

Is there a difference between PADI and NAUI?
Will I be able to take specialized courses, adventure courses?
Is NAUI as accepted as PADI and will I be able to book dive in most places?
:confused:
There may be one key difference between NAUI and PADI Open Water certifications. I am told by NAUI instructor colleagues that they do not teach compass use or test basic navigation in their syllabus. PADI very definitely does.

I was taught basic compass navigation in my NAUI open water class.

I actually trained PADI, and did my OW dives with an SSI instructor.

I ended up getting a SSI card, but that didn't bother me. Although our instructor was able to give us a card through more than 3 agencies.

Mike Newman:
There may be one key difference between NAUI and PADI Open Water certifications. I am told by NAUI instructor colleagues that they do not teach compass use or test basic navigation in their syllabus. PADI very definitely does.

We were not taught any compass navigation in our PADI course.

Mike Newman:

The final dive for NAUI OW cert has navigation in the list of skills you're supposed to perform.
Ber :lilbunny:

Back
Top Bottom