PADI open water but got NAUI card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep - we also did basic compass navigation in our NAUI OW dives a few months back.

Yes, a NAUI Instructor could use PADI materials and certify NAUI. What I suspect happened here is that its mainly a PADI shop and there's one NAUI Instructor contracting there. Not that uncommon. I don't think that this is a violation of PADI or NAUI training standards, but if the shop has an agreement with PADI, "Five Star" or whatever, I suspect that it is a violation of that agreement.

I think it's funny that PADI takes so much flak and then in the end this NAUI instructor uses all the PADI materials to issue the NAUI card. This is not the first time I have heard of a NAUI instructor issuing a card based on PADI materials. I routinely sell PADI rescue manuals to NAUI instructors for their classes from the local college. I used to DM for a dive shop ( now out of business) that would use PADI materials and issue an SDI card. Hard to see what all the fuss is about on the PADI -NAUI controversy and how passionate some are to bash PADI and then they use their materials! LOL. Awesome. I can say that I have never heard of a PADI card being issued to a diver using NAUI or SDI materials. I am sure it has happened and I am betting someone is getting ready to post a thread about that i might have missed.

While I can't speak to PADI or SDI, NAUI does not insist on any particular text. You can use anything that you think appropriate, from PADI through NOAA, though in this case I suspect it had more to do with what was in stock in the shop.

It's not hard to use the PADI materials for a course as long as you supplement the information that is not covered in them, namely rescue. When I took my OW class years ago we used the Jeppeson Manual and Michigan Tables, I never saw NAUI materials until I took my AI class.
Ber :lilbunny:

frankc420:
We were not taught any compass navigation in our PADI course.

I was... Only at a basic level, on the surface.

It's one of the *required* dives on the AOW course though, perhaps that's why they don;t do much with it at OW level (you've got a lot of other things to focus on when you first learn after all!).

Mike Newman:
There may be one key difference between NAUI and PADI Open Water certifications. I am told by NAUI instructor colleagues that they do not teach compass use or test basic navigation in their syllabus. PADI very definitely does.
I was definitely taught compass navigation in my NAUI class

For the record, I am recently certified PADI. Both in the written material and during ow dives I was taught some basic navigation. In addition, in the text and in the pool I was required to remove and replace all my gear - weights, BC etc.

I don't have any issues with any organization. As I've seen stated many times on this forum, if you have a good instructor you will be given the necessary skills to dive safely within your limits.

I believe I would accept the Naui card and continue my experience and education. While all the comments here have good points, I don't see any real benefit to be gained by anyone by pursuing this situation further. If there was an indication that the training was inadequate or the card was not acceptable then I would be inclined to pursue it.

Just my humble opinion.

solidgas:
Ber Rabbit,

He did go over some rescue stuff, and made us take off all our equipment underwater, including weights, and then go back down and put it all on underwater. I found that challenging, but was able to do it on my second try. We did this in the pool of course. But it wasn't in the PADI book.

The PADI OW course teaches weight removal at the surface in chapter 2. We were also shown how to take off and on our BCD and cylinder under water during OW class.
Basic rescue procedures is under "Problem Management" in chapter 3 as well as handling near drowning and unresponsive divers.
Basic compass navigation is covered in chapter 5.

As far as the C-card goes, I would at the very least have the store manager or owner explain to me the reson for the mistaken card. I'd be very affraid to do any business with them unless it's explained to your satisfaction.

Wys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom