PADI open water but got NAUI card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Solidgas,
I have not read this entire thread but will comment on one thing I feel you should bear in mind. If you came to me for an AOW course or Rescue course one of the first things the S&P requires me to is access your current diving abilities. This means I would check your ability to perform the skindiving skills including the rescue skills. For the scuba part, you can bet I would test you on that in the water as well. If you had never been taught this stuff, how could you expect to pass this assessment?

If I dive with a NAUI certed diver, I expect to be with someone who can conduct simple rescue procedures. If I dive with a PADI certed diver I don't have that expectation since I know it wasn't part of their training. This may mean that I may plan the dive differently to fit within indicated expectations.

If you didn't get ALL of the NAUI training/education requirements then I would ask the shop to give you the proper extra training. They owe it to you.

Amy B:
I was... Only at a basic level, on the surface.

It's one of the *required* dives on the AOW course though, perhaps that's why they don;t do much with it at OW level (you've got a lot of other things to focus on when you first learn after all!).
You should have had basic level navigation both on the surface and underwater. To have not done both is a violation of PADI standards.

Jeez... I couldn't even make it through all the posts without thinking "Why does it even matter to you?"

Congratulations, you are now a certified diver. Quit worrying about what is on your card and get into the water.

All your cert card gives you is the ability to buy gear. PADI, NAUI, SSI, whatever.

I ran across something similar a month or two back.....on our diver waiver, we ask for information on Certifying organization, number of dives, etc. My two divers wrote "PADI" and then got out their cards to look up their C-card number. I was surprised to see that they were "NAUI" cards. Until I pointed this out to them, they weren't even aware that they were not PADI certified. Apparently they'd signed up for/been told it was a PADI course, but it wasn't. I guess this situation isn't all that uncommon, based on the posts I've seen here.

fishb0y:
All your cert card gives you is the ability to buy gear. PADI, NAUI, SSI, whatever.
There is no law that I know of that requires pocession of a cert card to by scuba gear.

The cert card is merely an indication that the bearer has met, to some degree, training requirements to dive with some vague degree of safety.

I know a bunch or people who have collectively bought hundreds of thousands of dollars of diving gear without any training whatsoever.

jbd:
There is no law that I know of that requires pocession of a cert card to by scuba gear.

The cert card is merely an indication that the bearer has met, to some degree, training requirements to dive with some vague degree of safety.
Sure... I'm talking about respectable LDS, not eBay or the Internet.

Certification
If you advertise a diver training course as a PADI course, you must conduct
it following PADI training standards and issue a PADI certification to all divers
who satisfactorily meet the performance requirements.

Found in the general standards and procedures section

Or what? PADI's gonna not take your money in the future?

Honestly, does it really matter for an Open Water class. It's not like will get turned away from a dive.

Why is it so important what agency you get certified in? Hmmm... Unless there is a new PADI Open Water Cult that I don't know about... watch out GUE, there's a new flavor of Kool aid in town.

Azza:
You should have had basic level navigation both on the surface and underwater. To have not done both is a violation of PADI standards.

Thinking about it, we did actually navigate underwater, to find some of the "sights" (helicopter, landrover etc) in the quarry where we were learning. Unfortunately the conditions at sea were pants when I did my OW course. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom