PADI open water but got NAUI card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishb0y:
Honestly, does it really matter for an Open Water class. It's not like will get turned away from a dive.

Why is it so important what agency you get certified in? Hmmm... Unless there is a new PADI Open Water Cult that I don't know about... watch out GUE, there's a new flavor of Kool aid in town.
Personally, I don't think that it matters which agency you are certified through. The point is, however, it appears that the certification and the actual training were through different agencies. As an instructor, It should be expected of me to hold strict adherence to the agency's course and standards that I am advertising. I would speculate that ANY agency involved in a matter like this would frown on the way this was completed.

Amy B:
Thinking about it, we did actually navigate underwater, to find some of the "sights" (helicopter, landrover etc) in the quarry where we were learning. Unfortunately the conditions at sea were pants when I did my OW course. :(
It still sounds like a breach but I wouldnt worry too much about it Amy. You have the card and navigation is something you will learn over time anyway:wink:

fishb0y:
Sure... I'm talking about respectable LDS, not eBay or the Internet.
I'm not talking about e-bay or the internet either. I'm talking about your standard everyday diveshop. There is no law requiring a person to hold a cert card to buy diving gear. As well as the earlier mentioned group of untrained divers I know of, I also know that there are people who have bought all their gear before ever taking a diving course.

I realize there are no laws pertaining to getting certified, so why get certified then? EVERY shop that I have worked in has asked for a c-card to purchase life support equipment (regs & tanks). We're a self regulating industry... unless you want laws/more expense involved in scuba, I would work to keep it that way. Sounds like you know a few unscrupulous shops that are only in it for themselves.

fishb0y:
I realize there are no laws pertaining to getting certified, so why get certified then? EVERY shop that I have worked in has asked for a c-card to purchase life support equipment (regs & tanks). We're a self regulating industry... unless you want laws/more expense involved in scuba, I would work to keep it that way. Sounds like you know a few unscrupulous shops that are only in it for themselves.
Who else are they in business for??? Shop owners are like any other retailer or business, they are in it for the money. They have expenses to meet and bills to pay and hopefully a profit to make. Simple pocession of a c-card doesn't necessarily mean the bearer has any real skill in using the equipment he or she is buying.

As far as buying "life support equipment (regs & tanks)" those aren't the items that are most likely to a diver hurt in this day and age. Rather, its the other major piece of equipment that will most likely cause an injury/death and yet it is never referred to as life support equipment.

NAUI cards are accepted anywhere PADI cards are so don't worry about that. However, in principle, you should have received a PADI card since you took the PADI course unless you had different instructors for your classroom and open water sessions. I would speak to the instructor and clear this up.
As for advanced courses, it should not matter for the most part since they take each other's certifications as prerequisites.

Azza:
It still sounds like a breach but I wouldnt worry too much about it Amy. You have the card and navigation is something you will learn over time anyway:wink:

Uhm - I know how to navigate, thanks...

You should have received what you actually were entitled to, in this case it was a PADI certification.

If you want a PADI card,just do the AOW with them and it will convert to a PADI card,I know that doesn't change what you thought you paid for,Its the easiest course to follow , and yeah,don't do business with someone thats already lied to you.Should go without being said

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom