PADI Open Water Cert - Renting tanks in France

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KeelsonGraham

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all,

I’ve just enquired of one dive shop in the Pyrenees Orientale about renting dive tanks. The answer was flat out no for someone with just a PADI open water qualification. Is this a thing in France or was I just unlucky with this particular dive shop?

Is this a thing in France or was I just unlucky with this particular dive shop?

Probably both.

I'm not aware of any regulation which would prevent the shop to rent you a tank whatever your certification is. People (and insurance contracts) usually are more careful and will err on the side of their safety in presence of unknowns or prejudices (and there are prejudice against PADI), especially for a one off. When there is a market important enough, more knowledgeable and less prejudiced people start to appear (and if needed negotiate with their insurance clauses allowing them to serve the market).

In France you need a CMAS certification. PADI does not count for anything there.

There is no general regulation applying to dives outside an organization (there are places where local rules apply).

For dives organized by an organization, there are regulations, but they don't mandate CMAS certifications (it is easier for the organizer as the regulations do mention how to map CMAS certifications to the qualifications needed), but the organizer can -- and those I know do, in fact all the commercial one offer PADI or SSI certifications as well as CMAS one -- map your certification to the regulation qualification requirements.

Thank you, interesting info. It’s probably easier for me if I just spend an extra 20 minutes in the car and go to Spain. Lots of PADI shops there and the attitude seems to be, hmm how shall I say it, a little less “French”. 😉

I was an instructor working for a PADI shop in Colorado about 15 years ago. It was (and still is) common for our students to do the academic and pool work with us and then take a referral with them to finish the course on vacation. The paperwork for this involves signifying that the student has done the work by initialing each item and putting your instructor number next to each. This has to be done on both the student record file and in the student's logbook. That is an enormous number of initials and numbers. Recognizing that, PADI had some of the items (like the knowledge reviews) grouped together, with a statement with each group saying that if the same instructor did all items in the group, a signature at the end would work instead of all the initials. That is what we all did.

One of our students took his referral (a copy of the student record file) to a French island in the Caribbean. The PADI instructor there told him that his referral was not valid because it did not have initials and instructor numbers on every item. If he wanted to be certified, he would have to repeat all that work with them. He called, and we told them that the student had done all the work and that the signature was sufficient. Nope. We contacted PADI headquarters, and they called the shop and told them that the signature was all that was needed. Nope. The instructor said that getting a call from PADI headquarters in California meant nothing to him, because they were PADI Americas, and he was governed by PADI Europe. It went to PADI Europe, and they backed the French instructor, even though they used the same form with the same wording.

So from then on we had to initial and number every single item for every single student, because you never know when your referral is going to wind up in a French-governed area.

Having lived in France on and off for several years I can tell you that the French do like to say NON. And they do it emphatically and with relish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom