Padi Open Water Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seahunter once bubbled...
While we're on the subject, may I suggest that clubs ought to openly support the stores if not even choose a store sponsor to give them the services as described above. Both the club and the store would benefit. Many clubs are afraid to associate with a store for fear they'll be considered unfair. What bunk!! The club executive should make a fair, unbiased assessment of which store would best service the club and make that store it's partner. The practice of naming 3 stores for their students to choose from so they don't appear to be promoting a single store is simply unfair if not stupid. The executive has the knowledge to choose a good store and has the responsibility to take care of the new diver in the club. The new diver meanwhile has no idea which of the 3 to go to. Make an informed decision and go for it! If it turns out the store was not the best choice for the club, change it!!

If some senior members don't like the choice they can go to their own favorite store. Club members don't have to go to the club sponsor - it's simply the best choice by the executive for new divers to work with. That store will also be much more likely to support the club in the ways I've mentioned above.

Clubs and stores are not competitors (or shouldn't be!) - they should be partners in promoting scuba and ensuring it's continued fun and safety.

It works for me and for the clubs I've helped.

Absolutely! I couldn't agree more. I've own and managed businesses outside this sport and this is just good business practice and very synergistic. Those club executives that don't see this, need to get their heads out of the sand, clouds or silt...

seahunter once bubbled...
Peer pressure kills more divers than water pressure!

Unfortunately you are 100% correct. I've been diving continuosly through the winter (albeit a little less frequently than in the summer :) ) and I noticed that some skills could use some polishing to get back to speed.. So I joined my LDS on one of their pool sessions.. Mainly it was just to get used to gear that I hadn't worn in months.. Like my doubles.. Besides.. I got to meet a new generation of divers in the pool.
Its amazing how many people get talked into doing dives that are just beyond their reach.. Most of the time it goes OK, but the smallest problem can quickly escalate into an emergency when you're not ready for it.

sparky30 once bubbled...

Its amazing how many people get talked into doing dives that are just beyond their reach.. Most of the time it goes OK, but the smallest problem can quickly escalate into an emergency when you're not ready for it.

And then there are those out there who are trying to do everything they can to get into the water asap, who feel at home in the water (not saying I'm experienced) and just want to get in there before I forget everything. ;-0

Back
Top Bottom