PADI or YMCA cert.?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divermasterB once bubbled...

... First YMCA Open Water standards far exceed PADI requirements. This is well documented (See PADI vs. Diverlink)

I disagree with both statements.

divermasterB once bubbled...

Second, for advanced PADI seems to be more profit driven in that they have dumbed down the advanced program leaving out night dives alltogether (as I understand it.) The YMCA advanced is more of a finishing school for divers to get more experience under varying conditions with direct supervision from an experienced diver (Instructor).

We still offer the night dive...It's not a requirement, however. Your description of the Y course sounds just exactly how I might describe the PADI AOW.

I don't know but I would guess that the Y would excel in rescue training.

SA

Stephen,

You are correct. For AOW, both agencies have eliminated the night dive requirement and allow either a night or a limited visibility dive. Both require only 5 dives. For AOW, the requirements are very close to idential for both PADI and YMCA. If it's AOW, you're looking at, the instructor could make a big difference, otherwise flip a coin. Silver Advance is another story altogether, there's real meat in that program.

We do disagree on the OW course, but this thread isn't about the OW course.

As for rescue, I should take a long look at those standards, I really am not familiar with PADI's class. Have you looked at both?

Walter once bubbled...
Stephen,

...We do disagree on the OW course, but this thread isn't about the OW course....

Agreed!

Walter once bubbled...
As for rescue, I should take a long look at those standards, I really am not familiar with PADI's class. Have you looked at both?

No. I don't, Walter. I'm just taking a guess at that. But it seems to me that the Y has always been known for providing top notch first aid/resue training. (I'm sure that all of its training is top notch and I'm not surprised to hear that it offers a more 'advanced' advanced option.) IMO, PADI's EFR/Rescue is ...O.K. But it seems to me that there is a lot of wiggle room...if you follow where I'm driftin'.

SA

Back
Top Bottom