padi ow, why is CESA recommended to 9m?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the latter sounds like a death sentence. why couldnt cesa be the method of choice for 18m depth? since you have some remnants of compressed air in your lungs you should (i guess) be able to swim that long minute to the surface?

It actually says that? In the book? They might as well just say "stab yourself".

The only time the "elevator button" is useful is if you think you're going to pass out and die underwater, and this is your last chance, however I'd actually prefer ditching weights instead, since it's more certain you'll arrive on the surface and stay there, and it works even if you're out of air.

flots.

I do know the answer, thanks.

I asked the OP the question for a reason.

Obviously there is a misunderstanding on his part. The OP is reading his manual in anticipation of taking his class. His manual should say nothing about dropping weights to do a buoyant ascent. I would like to know where he got that impression.

My manual (revision 2.09, issued to me in September '09) says you should drop your weights, but as an absolute last resort. The bit you queried was about inflating your BCD, which I also queried as it's a little tricky when you are OOG.

Personally I'd struggle to drop my weights as it is a little tricky to reach behind with a spanner! :wink:

Yes but the OP is taking OW currently, not 09. His query was about what he "read" in the Manual he received for his class. His manual should not be from 09. I would like to know where he is seeing this in the manual he received for his class. I have yet to have a student read this the Manual. I would like to know what I am missing.

Of course all his question should be answered when he actually takes his classes. One would hope at least :)

So has ditching weight on an emergency buoyant ascent been removed from the manual then? I was a little confused because the comment you put in bold was the one about inflating your BCD, but the discussion that followed was about ditching weights.

I do know the answer, thanks.

I asked the OP the question for a reason.

Obviously there is a misunderstanding on his part. The OP is reading his manual in anticipation of taking his class. His manual should say nothing about dropping weights to do a buoyant ascent. I would like to know where he got that impression.
I think you mean it should say nothing about inflating the BCD....

Mustard Dave...tursiops pointed out my "mis-type". That's were you and I got off on the tangent. Yes indeed I meant to type "inflating your BCD" and for some reason it came out of my head to the keyboard as "ditching your weights".

Damn, sorry about that.

Back to my concern about the OPs question...where is he reading about doing a buoyant ascent by inflating the BCD in his manual?

If the OP is indeed taking a class, and found that in his manual, then his manual is not current and the class is not being taught to standards.

But if he is reading an old manual, c1994 (version 1), then on page 155 it says to drop weights and/or inflating your BCD. The next version of the manual I have in my library is 1999 (version 2.1) and it just says (p159) to drop your weights. And the latest version, 2013 (Version 3) agrees, ditch your weights (p161) to get buoyant. Note that the old option of "buddy breath with a single regulator" no longer exists in Version 3. So now there are only four ways taught to get to the surface: normal, your buddy's alternate air source, CESA, and emergency buoyant ascent.

Back
Top Bottom