PADI TEC classes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GeekDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was checking out PADI's Web site when I noticed new courses. When did these start or have they have been there and I just now finding out about them or Is padi trying to get into the TEC market.

http://www.padi.com/courses/tecrec/

DSAT Discover TEC Diver
DSAT Apprentice TEC Diver
DSAT TEC Deep Diver
DSAT TEC Deep Inst.
DSAT Gas Blender
DSAT Gas Blender Inst.

Has anyone been through any of these classes?

GD

I am a DSAT gas blending instructor. The materials are well done and the class comes with software. The entire course is equel to Life support service tech, nitrox blender and trimix blender. Some instructors can't teach the trimix part. I think in an attempt to make the math easier they may have made it harder but a good instructor can help with that.

I think they did a good job with the tech class. But...I don't teach it because I don't want to take divers below 130 on air. Lots of divers go way deeper than that on air and there is lots of debate. I won't teach below 130 until I can do it with mix. Sometimes students seem narced at 30 ft. I want no part of it at 160 ft.

Mike

Kudos to Mike for his position.

Can a diver go straight from recreational diver (130ft) to Trimix without getting a Tec cert (which requires depths below 130ft on air)? I thought they had to be advanced Nitrox and Extended Range and have experience with doubles before they can do Trimix. I'm confused now.

scubabunny,
I teach the IANTD Advanced Nitrox course. This class has a max depth of 130 using mixes up to 50% for decompression. The course is really an intro to tech type of course. They learn to use doubles, carry a sling, plan more technical dives and are introduced to decompression procedures. I thing everyone should take this class or one like it. The course puts students in the type of equipment and provides the training that I think is appropriate for one wanting to go to 130. In my view 130 is too deep for standard recreational equipment and the average recreational diver. I know divers do it all the time with less. I have also seen them hauled off in ambulances. GUE is the only agency that I know of that introduces trimix at this level. The others do require dives below 130 before trimix is introduced. I took the classes but I don't want to teach them.

OOPS...checked the standards
I was wrong. If you go directly from the IANTD Advanced Nitrox to Normoxic Trimix it is not required that you do any dives below 130 on air or nitrox. However if you take the Technical Diver class prior to Normoxic Trimix you will go below 130 on air. So you have a choice if someone tells you. When I took this training nobody did. I would have to endorse a 130+ class using trimix before one which didn't.

The gas blender class was rolled out last December. It has now been clarified that it can be taught as either a nitrox blending or trimix blending course.

Generally the materials are good, but I think that PADI should have taken just a little more time to make it a touch more user friendly.

Word is that PADI is developing its own Trimix course as well. I am guessing that it will be rolled out at DEMA this year.

Roakey,did you just have some dental work done? I could swear I saw something in your cheek:wink:

Roak
Speaking of blending, How did the mixing go the other day ?

Back
Top Bottom