PADI vs NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brendon, I am a PADI trained diver but that's not what set me off. In fact, these days I mostly hang with a bunch of SSI divers. I just don't like any of the agencies being painted with a broad brush in either direction. As you said, it really does come down to the quality of the instructor.

In any case, thanks for the details. I've already made enough of an ass of myself, so I'll stop here. If you're ever in the neighborhood, look me up and the beer's on me. :cheers:

I was certified OW by NAUI in 1983 and thought I had a great course, my instructor was like a drill Sgt but I am greatful for everything he did. I now am taking more advanced courses through PADI, the only agency in my area. I am very pleased with them, because again I found a great instructor. The instructor makes or breaks the program no matter the agency.

I would put 100.00 down that A NAUI OW Diver is better trained then a PADI OW diver, any day of the week.

Hmmmm ... depending on the instructors involved, I'd take that bet ... and I'm a NAUI instructor! Thing is, I know some PADI instructors who teach a kick-ass class and turn out some fine divers. Conversely, I know some NAUI instructors who teach strictly to the minimum standards and ... well ... turn out less fine divers. Technically they both meet the requirements of their agency.

It really does boil down to two things ...

- how much emphasis the instructor puts into teaching a quality class
- how much effort the student puts into learning as much as the instructor can teach them

Judging the quality of a class by the agency involved is a waste of time. The agency simply defines the framework of the instruction ... and the differences in standards really aren't that great. The instructor and student play a far greater role in determining the quality of the training ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hello Everyone! I'm so glad I found this forum and am very excited about learning to dive.

I thought I would share the basics about the PADI course my wife and I are currently taking:

We meet Friday evening 6-10pm, Saturday/Sunday 9am-5pm (20 hours of classroom and pool work)

Open Water Checkout Dives: 4 dives over 2 days (all day checkouts - 4 mandatory dives and encouraged to put in a few extra to flesh out our skills)

Class pre-work requires completion of the PADI book and DVD. All 5 knowledge checks must be complete before class or the student has to reschedule.

The instructor I spoke with stressed the importance of knowing proper technique and safety. He said they would gladly spend extra time beyond the class hours to make sure my wife and I were comfortable in the water and ready to dive.

I was really impressed by the instructor and the course.

Disclaimer: My father is PADI Advanced OW Diver with over 25 years of diving experience. Part of why I chose a PADI course.

PADI is "The way the world learns to dive." It must be the best if it represents the entire world.

PADI is "The way the world learns to dive." It must be the best if it represents the entire world.

Well then ... if they're "The way the world learns to dive", then they must be "Doing it Right" ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Does anyone have advice on extra skills I should ask the instructor about when I start the classroom portion of my PADI course? i.e. someone mentioned an instructor knotting their hoses and having them untie from behind their head.

(please don't thread crap about which cert is better, I already paid for the course and really want to make sure I know my stuff for dive safety)

Thanks!

Does anyone have advice on extra skills I should ask the instructor about when I start the classroom portion of my PADI course? i.e. someone mentioned an instructor knotting their hoses and having them untie from behind their head.

(please don't thread crap about which cert is better, I already paid for the course and really want to make sure I know my stuff for dive safety)

Thanks!

Instructors won't mess with your hoses ... that's a massive liability concern.

My best advice is to listen intently, and whenever anything doesn't make sense ... or when the instructor gives a piece of advice, ask questions. Never be afraid to ask "Why" ... always keep in mind that in OW class there are no stupid questions ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks!
I could give you descriptions of some skills that I would like to have an instructor add, unfortunately, in my experience, many instructors can not perform these skills, not to mention teach them.

Represent the entire world, what a load of BS! A slogan doesn't determine who is the best. That said, I think "Dive safety thru education" says a hell of alot more then "The way the world learns to dive". I'm not going to join a club just because it has alot of people... I want quality people not quantity of people....:mooner: I know alot of good PADI instructors, but that doesn't mean PADI is the best. Certification agencies produce the cards, training materials and market themselves. Thats it, they have little or nothing to do with making good instructors... The only thing PADI itself is good at is marketing...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom