PADI vs NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few searches would turn up all that your looking for, I'm a bit too tired at the moment.
Hopefully Walter will deal with your question, he's got all the details at his fingertips.

It would be inappropriate to expect Walter to speak for you, seeing as it's your post.

What did YOU mean?

When you show enough respect to this community by posing a profile then I'll consider your request.

When you show enough respect to this community by posing a profile then I'll consider your request.

Odd, coming from someone with a profile as flippant as yours. In your case, "posing a profile" couldn't be more accurate.

I'm outta here.

I call for a vote...

Who's head (ego) on this thread is the farthest out of proportion in relation to the knowledge contained in it?

Please nominate those you feel deserve nomination - then we can all vote later

I received my OW from NAUI--my AOW, Nitrox, and Rescuefrom PADI. I have spearfished with both PADI and NAUI certified divers. Some of both agencies I truly enjoyed diving with and some from BOTH agencies I scratched my head and wondered how they got their cards. My opinion is that you get what you put into YOUR training. Whether one is better than the other is a mildly interesting debate, but they both offer acceptable training for the recreational diver. Just my opinion.

My opinion is that you get what you put into YOUR training. Whether one is better than the other is a mildly interesting debate, but they both offer acceptable training for the recreational diver. Just my opinion.

Right on the money brother!

All that you could possibly garner from your wife's experience is that she thought that the program put on by the PADI Instructor was "better" than the training that she had received previously.

There is neither programmatic nor statistical support for her conclusions with respect to anything outside of the programs she experienced, even if we were to stipulate that she was correct with respect to those programs.

Them there be a lot of big words. We are not but simple divers :wink:

Not sure where I said anything different from your statement. In any case there aren't very good stats for the diving community. We don't even know how many people actually dive.

To your post about hours; Now that PADI switched to the self study, it has been thrust more on the student to study the materials and ask questions about things they don't understand. Admittedly that is a big change from when I went through the course. It was classroom 2 days a week 2 hours per day for 4 weeks, plus pool time, plus OW dives (drive to Ft Lauderdale and boat rides to dive sites not included).

While we don't have good statistics for diving in general, we do have good studies on the average adult attention span. It's generally accepted to be around 20 minutes. Given that, I have to wonder about the effectiveness of lengthy classroom sessions over leisurely reading at your own pace. Having said that, the theory is only a part of the overall SCUBA learning experience. The pool sessions and OW dive experiences will be the actual skill development time. No matter what agency the instructor is affiliated with, the students' experiences here will vary greatly on a number of factors, which amongst other things will include; the student's patience, the instructors ability to demonstrate skills and correct improper execution of those skills, the instructor's patience, and the instructor's opinion of "skill mastery."

Them there be a lot of big words. We are not but simple divers :wink:

Not sure where I said anything different from your statement. In any case there aren't very good stats for the diving community. We don't even know how many people actually dive.

To your post about hours; Now that PADI switched to the self study, it has been thrust more on the student to study the materials and ask questions about things they don't understand. Admittedly that is a big change from when I went through the course. It was classroom 2 days a week 2 hours per day for 4 weeks, plus pool time, plus OW dives (drive to Ft Lauderdale and boat rides to dive sites not included).

While we don't have good statistics for diving in general, we do have good studies on the average adult attention span. It's generally accepted to be around 20 minutes. Given that, I have to wonder about the effectiveness of lengthy classroom sessions over leisurely reading at your own pace. Having said that, the theory is only a part of the overall SCUBA learning experience. The pool sessions and OW dive experiences will be the actual skill development time. No matter what agency the instructor is affiliated with, the students' experiences here will vary greatly on a number of factors, which amongst other things will include; the student's patience, the instructors ability to demonstrate skills and correct improper execution of those skills, the instructor's patience, and the instructor's opinion of "skill mastery."
We are in complete agreement.

Odd, coming from someone with a profile as flippant as yours. In your case, "posing a profile" couldn't be more accurate.

I'm outta here.
Good thing to do, that is to say leave before you make a complete fool of yourself in front of everyone, not just the folks on the board who know me.

Interesting to note however that no user SED has visited my profile, you got a sock puppet perhaps?

cflJason:
No matter what agency the instructor is affiliated with, the students' experiences here will vary greatly on a number of factors, which amongst other things will include; the student's patience, the instructors ability to demonstrate skills and correct improper execution of those skills, the instructor's patience, and the instructor's opinion of "skill mastery."

True, but which skills are taught is dependent on agency affiliation. That is critical.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom