PADI Wreck dive course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any thread about penetration is one hell of a thread!

Do you intend to do real wreck diving, or just stare at them from a distance. The PADI course does allow you to meet your maker sooner than what intended, talk about penetrating the pearly gates........

Kathy K.:
Hey there Godly Diver, I'm an instructor at Dive N Surf and so is the Bruce mentioned in the post. I never actually responded to you, however; someone just posted that link under my name as a cut and paste from our own message board. It was a message I had written about our upcoming wreck class for one of our students who's become a regular buddy.

I am sure your instructors are and were just fine and I hope you understand I wasn't trying to poach you as a customer - I think someone was just trying to help out in response to your question. Of course I'm always happy to meet new dive buddies, so I hope we run across one another at some point.

Enjoy your diving!
Kathy K.

Kathy,
I totally understand and appreciate your professionalism. Yes, I would for sure be in touch with you if for some reason I can't get the instructors I know provide me the course. Do you guys have a web site so I can get more info about your organization.
Take care Kathy and happy diving.
Reha Duzel

ShakaZulu:
Do you intend to do real wreck diving, or just stare at them from a distance. The PADI course does allow you to meet your maker sooner than what intended, talk about penetrating the pearly gates........

Can you be more clear on what you are saying? I am serious about getting this course so I can start diving wrecks with some knowledge and skills education.
Thanks,
R.Duzel

SNOBORDJON:
Any thread about penetration is one hell of a thread!

I didn't start the thread with anything in mind with penetration...also I seriously would like to know why it's referred as "penetration" to diving into the wrecks? Can anyone give an explaination? Thanks,
R.Duzel

Godly_Diver:
I didn't start the thread with anything in mind with penetration...also I seriously would like to know why it's referred as "penetration" to diving into the wrecks? Can anyone give an explaination? Thanks,
R.Duzel
If you go down and dive around some sort of a sunken stucture without entering, we refer to that as a wreck dive with no penetration. If you go inside the structure it is considered penetrating the structure.

According to The Random House Dictionary:

Penetrate 1. To pierce or pass into or through.
There is a big difference between training for a penetration dive and training for a non-penetration dive. Some people are of the opinion that if you are not trained to go into the wreck, you're not really trained for wreck diving. I do not have the wreck diving experience to make a solid argument either way, but am aware that when you are diving a wreck in some surge that you could get sucked into the wreck from the outside. I believe I've read about this being common on the Hogan in San Diego on some days. Maybe someone with a good deal of wreck diving experience could speak to this issue.

Many people are of the opinion that one should treat this dive specialty with greater due dilligence (done with perservering attention) when it comes to finding an instructor. An instructor could be an excellent diver and teacher for many things, but I would want to be sure that someone was very well versed in wreck diving before I would consider taking a class from them that will teach me to stay alive inside of a wreck.

Technical training for an overhead environment (like training for cave diving) would be appropriate and many wreck divers pursue a full cave certification. I don't believe that PADI offers this type of technical training as it goes somewhat beyond recreational training.

Hope this helps to understand the root issues that some people's concerns stem from.

Christian

Hey Christian,
Great info...thanks a lot chief; well, I'd better check out the type of Wreck Dive specialty course PADI is providing first, (I'd rather a course "penetrates" the wreck) then the wreck dive teaching experience and qualification of the instructor (who certified me in AOW) before I sign up for this.
Happy and safe diving,
R.Duzel

If you are curious about wreck diving, the PADI Wreck Specialty should be a good place for you to start. Light overhead penertration into the wreck, but you always have a visable natural light exit. This site has a little more info in their outline http://www.hooferscuba.org/modules/...ic_id=105&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&post_id=262

After you take the Wreck Specialty, you'll probably want to check out additional training from TDI http://www.tdisdi.com/tdi/courses/courses.html or other specialized agencies.

Do your own due diligence and carefully filter most of what you read online...including Scubaboard.

[Moderator Note: This thread has been edited to remove potentially inflammatory remarks - Tech Admin]

Take the PADI Wreck Diver course, any additional classes that you take can only serve to enhance your diving skills and confidence in the water. However, you may be disappointed with the amount of wreck diving that you do in the PADI Wreck Diving Course. It is more of an introductory "looksee" course and will not provide you with penetration skills, but it is still a good place to start.

Then, when you are ready, head down to wreck alley in San Diego and take a true wreck class from one of the other agencies. They will teach you about overhead environments, running lines, gas planning, etc. In addition, they have the proper wrecks upon which to teach and practice the skills.

Walk before you run in this sport and you will stay alive :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom