Painful, red mosquito-bite-looking bumps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thecovetrix

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I did several dives near Seattle this weekend, and now have several dozen painful red bumps that look like mosquito bites on my torso and legs. I was wearing a wetsuit.

Is it possible that the suit wasn't thoroughly rinsed after day one and it irritated my skin on day two? These bumps don't sound like anything else I've read about here or online elsewhere - they're larger than most I've seen described and don't itch.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I did several dives near Seattle this weekend, and now have several dozen painful red bumps that look like mosquito bites on my torso and legs. I was wearing a wetsuit.

Is it possible that the suit wasn't thoroughly rinsed after day one and it irritated my skin on day two? These bumps don't sound like anything else I've read about here or online elsewhere - they're larger than most I've seen described and don't itch.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Welcome to SB. That's not much information to go on. If you want an answer tonight as to whether they're "skin bends" or a rash, call DAN collect at 919-684-8111 so they can ask questions and consult you now.

Or, give details of the diving: Air or Nitrox? Depth and time of recent dives, when they were and safety stops made. Time since last dive is an important omission here.

It could be bacterial folliculitis which might require antibiotic treatment.

It could be swimmers itch, if it is in fresh water.

It could be clam digger's itch, if it is in salt water (identical to swimmer's itch) Thanks DocVikingo.

It could be bed bug bites, if you slept in a hotel/motel.

It could be insect bites.

It could be hot tub folliculitis if you have been in one.

It could be disseminated gonorhea.... Just kidding, only a doctor can dianose your rash in person. So go and see a good doctor. Or take a picture of yourself, and post it up for our enjoyment.

Last edited:
"It could be swimmers itch, if it is in fresh water." The salinity in Puget Sound can vary a lot depending on where you're diving, recent rains, and proximity to septic systems.

It could be swimmers itch, if it is in fresh water.

It could be, but swimmer's itch (cercarial dermatitis) typically involves a tingling, burning, or itching of the skin, at least initially, and the poster reports none.

Moreover, I believe if you consult an appropriate textbook of dermatology you'll find that this condition in fact can be contracted in saltwater environments as well. Since this your alleged area of specialty, I'll let you have the final say based on your literature review.

In any event, here's some photos that may be helpful:

Cercarial Dermatitis - Pictures

Regards,

DocVikingo

Yes, my first two thoughts were either some kind of a folliculitis, or some kind of bites. But nobody can diagnose over the internet. I'm not aware of anything in the Sound that people commonly react to, but everybody I know dives dry anyway. You can get into jellyfish tentacles, but they don't leave small, scattered welts.

Would hydrocortisone cream/ointment be a suitable treatment?

Moreover, I believe if you consult an appropriate textbook of dermatology you'll find that this condition in fact can be contracted in saltwater environments as well. Since this your alleged area of specialty, I'll let you have the final say based on your literature review.

No one can know everything, except the internet nerd who googles conditions. Wonderful tool googles is.

You're right, I am learning something every day. Swimmer's itch was first described in a lake in Michigan, and being from the great lakes, I always assumed it was a fresh water phenomenon.

There are supposedly two types of cercarial dermatitis:

1. Swimmer's itch - which is defined as fresh water.

2. Clam diggers's itch - salt water marine environment.

Essentially, they are similar. The verbatim quote from Andrew's disease of the skin is: "There are two types: the freshwater swimmer's itch, and the saltwater marine dermatitis or clam digger's itch." p. 432, Andrews disease of the skin by Jaes, Berger, Elston. 2006.

I actually never knew that cercardial dermatitis occurred in salt water, thanks Doc Vikingo.

I actually never knew that cercardial (sic) dermatitis occurred in salt water, thanks Doc Vikingo.

Hi fisherdvm,

I see.

You're welcome.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Hey, while everyone is here, why doesn't the boy scout correct their book about the cause and treatment of chigger bites? They still say the chiggers burrow under the skin, and you'd have to suffocate the bugs by painting nail lacquer over the bite. It is funny, how many physicians still accept this as gospel, and still recommends it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom