Panama advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You won't find a better dive operation in Panama than Bocas Water Sports. But, if you're looking for something closer to Panama City, just 90 minutes away in Portobelo are two other dive operators; Panama Divers and Scubapanama. Forget about Taboga. Although I have dove with Scubapanama for a few years, and as recently as last week, I really don't like the way they do business. But, they seem to be the better choice for diving at Portobelo.

I'll write up a full review on last week's diving, but in essence, both dive operators offer the same services for the same places. Scubapanama charges $85 for a two-tank dive. Panama Divers charges $100. Both go to the same dive sites, but Scubapanama has a much shorter boat ride. (Important especially when returning from a dive in a rainstorm. The boats are wide open to the wind and the very chilling rain.) If you go with Scubapanama, insist on Manuel as your DM. He is very knowledgeable and very conscientious -- nearly equal to Jon's DMs at Bocas Water Sports.

Lodging at Scubapanama is rustic but clean, nice and picturesque. A small room with a double bed, balcony view and a small bathroom is $45 per night. A two-bed bungalow with hammock is $55, and a two-story bungalow is $65 with bunks on the ground floor and a double bed with balcony and separate AC on the second floor. Rooms at Panama Divers range from $50 to $70. For meals, go off-site to Los Cañones (next door to Scubapanama) or La Torre -- absolutely the BEST restaurant in Portobelo!

Now is actually the best time to dive Portobelo and Bocas del Toro. The sea is very calm and you can get out to more dive sites in the small boats.

You might contact one of the board's member: cappyjon431. (you can find him through the search function). He owns Bocas Water Sports in Bocas del Toro. I think he is on the other side of the country from you, but he will give you a straight answer.

Get yourself up to Bocas and dive with Bocas Water Sports, you will have a great time. And you certainly will not pay anything like 450 bucks.

Portobelo is probably the nearest place for you to go, though apparently the conditions are not always great there.

Coiba is a pretty long hike from PC, but from what I hear its definitely worth it. You can drive or go by bus to Santa Catalina.

Have fun!

For anyone coming to Bocas for the month of October, Bocas Water Sports is currently running an "Off Season Special." Two tank dives are $40, including gear.

There is a group of us planning to go to Panama in March. Want to do carnival for a couple of days and work in a couple of day's diving. From what I hear it is mostly shallow, mangrove diving. Can someone please post or email me with a better more accurate description of the diving. Also, as a teen we used to take the launch to Taboga to drink beer and lay in the sun. Not what I would call a dive location. Thanks in advance.

There is a group of us planning to go to Panama in March. Want to do carnival for a couple of days and work in a couple of day's diving. From what I hear it is mostly shallow, mangrove diving. Can someone please post or email me with a better more accurate description of the diving. Also, as a teen we used to take the launch to Taboga to drink beer and lay in the sun. Not what I would call a dive location. Thanks in advance.

Not sure where in Panama you are wanting to dive. There are many locations and it can vary tremendously between areas--the Pacific side is very different from the Caribbean side, Bocas is different from Portobelo, etc.

Most of our dive sites in Bocas are shallow (average maximum depth is 45'). I'm not sure what "mangrove diving" is, but we don't have it in Bocas, the large majority of our sites are reef dives. The mangroves are a beautiful ecosystem, but they are more suited for snorkeling than diving.

Thanks CappyJon431. We're going to Parita to visit with my wife's family (Parita is their ancestral home town) during part of Carnival and was trying to put together an itinerary. I'm not sure Bocas or Portobelo lend themselves to a short trip schedule. Perhaps if we had two weeks we could spend one week diving and the other week visiting family and showing some US friends the typical "must visit" sites. Based on everything I've read on this board, there doesn't appear to be any diving close to Parita. If I'm wrong, please let me know. Thanks, Y'all.

Insta-Gatro ... I have dove both Bocas and Portobelo a number of times; most recently, Portobelo in September and Bocas in January. Portobelo used to be my favorite of the two -- closer to Panama City, less costly to get there, more fish and critters in the reefs.

I was shocked in September by how decimated the fish population has become off Portobelo. Not totally gone, but where we used to see Parrotfish wherever we turned, now it's like no more than 10 on the entire dive. Angelfish are the same way. There used to be a lot. Now, it seems like there is a limit of two per dive. The number of Lionfish, though, is equally shocking. We saw four on one rock.

If you have the time and ability, go to Bocas and dive with CappyJon431 (Bocas Water Sports). If you do go to Portobelo, I highly recommend Scubapanama over the other operations. The lodging is clean, comfortable, inexpensive, but a little spartan. Most of the DMs are very good and conscientious. Sra. Chong will cook all your meals for you to order, but you'll pay more for them than at Los Cañones next door or La Torre just down the road. ($10 for breakfast at Scubapanama is just over $4 at La Torre.) La Torre is definitely the best restaurant in all of Portobelo.

Anthony, did you ever go diving in Panama? I am going there next week and am trying to find a good dive shop to hook up with but don't have any leads. What was your experience like? Who did you dive with?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom