Panama City Beach Dive Report 5/22-5/23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joe8mofo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I decided to take a long weekend break so we drove to PCB. We booked a three-tank dive with Panama City Dive Charters for Saturday morning. Patrick had booked us on a 6-pack boat called "Downtime" and we would be diving with 3 other divers. The boat arrived late due to technical difficulties and we boarded and headed out towards the Bart. Unfortunately we made it 3 miles out and then the transmission began leaking fluid and ceased to function. So stranded we were; so the captain called Sea-Tow and after quite some time they arrived and SLOWLY towed us the 3-miles in. While being towed I contacted PCDC and inquired as to whether or not we could grab an afternoon charter so that the day wasn't entirely shot. Luckily 1 other person by the name of Matt wanted to do an afternoon dive so we had the necessary 3 people to do a 2-tank charter with the Wreck Raider at 1 PM. We made it back to shore and grabbed lunch and met up at the Wreck Raider. The wreck raider was a much newer boat with twin 4-cycle engines and quickly got us to the Bart. We jumped in, and when I jumped in my brand-new Dorcy 220-Lumen light disconnected from my D-Ring and sank immediately to the bottom. We descended to the Bart and on the wreck the vis was 40 ft. I located my light laying on the sand off of the starboard side of the wreck and retrieved it at 82 feet depth. There was a slight current but nothing overbearing; also the Bart is much larger than you realize until you are on it. There was also a desktop computer in one of the open areas on the wreck, sitting there gathering rust and sea life. It was 69 degrees on the wreck and I had a max depth of 82 ft and dive time of 34 min.

The second dive was to a limestone reef in about 84 feet of water. The line ran to the reef seemed to be at a 30 degree angle; while descending I noticed my spool of line had somehow managed to come unclipped from my D-ring at about 30 ft depth. I released from the line and swam to the spool, grabbed it and swam back to the line against the current, rewinding the line as I returned to the down-line. The reef had some lobsters on it and a variety of fish but visibility was poor at 15-30 ft. Temperature was 67 degrees and dive time was 30 minutes.

On both dives, Matt had issues equalizing and went very slowly; which is good as these were his 7th and 8th dives.

On Sunday, Tina and I hung out at St. Andrew's park and I did 50 minutes of solo diving at the jetties during low tide. Visibility was poor (5-15 feet) but there was no noticeable current. There is a ton of life along the Jetty and I found a fishing lure that was in good condition so I took it. There was some fishing line hung up on some of the rocks but I didn't see it as a major hazard. Max depth was 46 feet and I left the water with 1200 lbs of air left.

I would definitely book a charter again through Panama City Dive Charters, but never on the Downtime boat. We had a great time with Captain Rod on the Wreck Raider and will be diving with them next time.

Good job on salvaging a day of diving. I agree with you about the Wreck Raider, I have dove with them a couple of times and Captain Rod runs a nice, fast boat.

I would definitely book a charter again through Panama City Dive Charters, but never on the Downtime boat. We had a great time with Captain Rod on the Wreck Raider and will be diving with them next time.

Great report, thanks

Thanks for the report. I have also dove with the Wreck Raider and it is a top notch outfit. But lets not bang someone over the head for a mechanical issue on his boat and anyone who has ever used sea tow knows that they are SLOW! .....We are talking about someones livelihood (sp?) here so lets just give the guy a chance!

Bayou Joes is a great place to eat while visiting Panama City. you can find it on the web.

112 East 3rd Court
Panama City, FL 32401-3103
(850) 763-6442

Thanks for the report. I have also dove with the Wreck Raider and it is a top notch outfit. But lets not bang someone over the head for a mechanical issue on his boat and anyone who has ever used sea tow knows that they are SLOW! .....We are talking about someones livelihood (sp?) here so lets just give the guy a chance!

Perhaps the captain should have arranged another boat at the first signs of trouble, since he was late showing up due to 'technical difficulties'... which I would definately attribute as a precursor to breaking down out in the Gulf. As its his livelyhood, he would have been better off not stranding paying customers and very much potentially ruining their day of diving. It was only LUCK and the dive shop that got them on another boat that same day IMO.

The captain made a bad decision. If he plans on making a living running charters, he needs to learn when to cut his losses and get paying customers out on another boat rather than waste their(and his) time and money.

There are way too many good guys out there running boats(who could use the business just as much) for me to care about the captains who are not doing whats necessary to keep customers happy.

I was not aware until I read this thread that Capt Kennedy was late or having technical difficulties earlier that morning. Good to know from my perspective...... :chairfight: We certainly appreciate your patience.

FYI, While our initials are PCDC (and so is The Panama City Dive Club's) PCDC is commonly used to mean Panama City Dive Center, the area's largest boat operation. I guess I should have gone with my original idea for a name "Captain Pat's Amazing Underwater Funland of Panama City Beach, Florida -Alpha Chapter," to cut down on any possible confusion. :wink: oooh or maybe Hydrospace. :)

I am not banging anyone over the head. I understand mechanical failures are not technically the fault of the captain; but there is no chance of me getting on a boat that has previously cost me 4 hours of my precious time. If you went to Applebee's and got food poisoning, how likely are you to return to the same Applebee's and risk suffering for 3-days? Not likely. Other people can chance their precious time to a boat that now has a history of breaking, but maybe now at least a couple of people will be aware of it.

If you went to Applebee's and got food poisoning, how likely are you to return to the same Applebee's and risk suffering for 3-days? Not likely. Other people can chance their precious time to a boat that now has a history of breaking, but maybe now at least a couple of people will be aware of it.

Ha! I still don't eat Red Barron Pizzas because one made me sick like ten years ago.

But.... ALL boats have a history of breaking, and the more you use them, the more likely you are to have issues. Even a perfect maintenance regimen can't prevent failures.

I would use a boat that broke down a second time (depending on the circumstances) because they all do, and many times you can't predict the point of failure (although in this case that might not be true). Once I went on a snapper fishing trip, and the hooks provided were rusty, and worse, very dull. THAT is a boat I'd never step foot on again. A boat with a captain or crew that rushes you through your gear-up or dives is a boat I'll never get back on.

Private boats are one thing...

Commercial boats, taking paying customers... is another. Its the captains responsibility to keep the boat running, not chance it after 'technical difficulties' which caused for a late start, then break down shortly afterwards. The customers didn't get paid for their wasted time.

At the onset of trouble, he(captain) should have arranged another boat for these people. Then fixed his boat, and verified it was truly fixed. I would revisit a captain that did that. I would not revisit a boat that was 1. late due to technical difficulties AND 2. breaks down in the gulf despite whatever supposed quick fix.

Back
Top Bottom