Panhandle springs re-con report 4/23/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Gulf-Gulper and I did a tour of three springs today. We left the scuba gear (and camera :D) behind for some snorkel re-con work.

Cypress Spring:
Holmes creek is fairly clear water all the way from the boat launch to the spring run. The spring run is crystal clear, you can even see the difference in the two types of water before the turn-off to the spring run. The spring run is shallow but no grounding of the canoe. The spring is as beautiful as ever. Lots of sunfish, bass, and red-horse suckers. We were the only people there. There were two local dogs looking for hand-outs but I only had Tea to give them. One liked it and the other didn't know what to do with it.

Becton Spring:
Since the water was so clear, we decided to check out Big Ugly. We found the shortcut from the creek to the spring - it probably would not have been usable if we had all the scuba gear in the canoe weighing us down. We made it through to the spring and were rewarded with blue colored water and good viz. The basin is still a little murky but right around the opening it is crystal clear. I would think that this is as good as it ever gets since no tannic water was flowing into the basin. I noticed a rope tied to a rock next to the spring opening and followed it up to the boat ramp at the house. They must use it to find the hole when conditions are their usual tannic self :D. We canoed down the spring run looking for where the creek branches off. We ended up at the bend where the pontoon boat is so we turned back. We had talked to a fisherman on the way down the run and, as we came back, we saw the creek branch off behind him. We took the branch back to the boat ramp - what a cool paddle with horseshoe turns!

Morrison Spring:
We dropped by Morrison to see what it looked like - BROWN AND FLOODED. The water was up to the beginning of the benches and not a clear brown. Some locals were swimming and looking at us as if we had dropped out of the sky. After enjoying the sights from land we headed home.

Depends on the rain. It clears quick, so if no rain, then yes.

Yeah, Morrison would be divable with visibility by this weekend, unless Thursdays showers spike the water levels again.

Thanks for the updates SY!

Thanks for the recon SY. I would like to get to Cypress one day. I have not have the chance to see it yet. I have no canoe,kayak, or boat of any kind.

They rent canoes at several places in the area :wink: Kayaks too, for that matter.

We dove Morrison this afternoon and it was still a bit murky. I'd guess the viz was about 15 feet in the basin, and of course it was crystal clear down in the caverns.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom