Panicked diver not exhaling during ascent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was this a trick question that was posed to you? The reason I ask is it seems that you cannot properly respond without putting yourself in danger, the first thing a rescuer is told to avoid. My response would be follow them up at a safe distance and ascent rate and be prepared to render assistance immediately upon surfacing.

A diver is full panic is a dangerous marine organism. If they want to get to the surface, not much is going to stop them and anything or anyone that does try to stop them does so at great peril to themselves. Stoping is the one thing that this diver does not want to do or even be slowed down. And the idea of throwing a well placed punch or kick under these circumstances is probably not realistic given the equipment we are all wearing, the animation of the victim, and the slowness that our punches move through the water. While many of us, including myself, hypothesize that it is easy to slow or stop a full on paniced diver, I would venture to say none of us really have had the experience. (I have stopped distressed divers, but never seen anyone in a full on panic, except as a lifeguard.) About as close as I came was when I did an underwater self defense course last Spring and it was an eye opener as far as everything that I thought I knew about assisting a paniced diver underwater.

when I did my Rescue class a few years ago we were presented with this very situation. Luckily, I was near a rope so I grabbed the rope and the diver slowing them down, but since both hands were full I wasn't able to dump any air from my BC. I ended up letting go of the person... which was the right thing to do. I at least slowed him down for a few moments. :D Since then I have only once tried to "save" someone who was out of control heading for the surface. I tried to grab them, couldn't, so I waved bye to them and made a safe ascent. I am not going to get bent, or worse, over someone else's problem.

An instructor told me once that she did it, got skin bends and ended up in the chamber over trying to save a panicked diver. She said she would never ever again risk her own safety, lesson learned. I am sure most OW students would hate to hear this!!!

robin:D

Greetings once again to all.
Thank you all very much for these thoughtful and clearly, experienced responses.
Best Regards,
Tom

Greetings once again to all.
Thank you all very much for these thoughtful and clearly, experienced responses.
Best Regards,
Tom

Taking a DM or Rescue class?

Terry

Elbow to the stomach. Although this isnt great if wearing several layers of undersuit and a drysuit.

I would quickly weigh the value of the panicked diver to myself.

A loved one or my dive buddy? Anything to stop them, slow them down, or get them to exhale... punch in the solar plexus, rip off their fins, empty their BC, whatever it takes. It may not work, but I would want to say I tried everything possible, even risking myself to some extent.

An instabuddy or just another diver from the boat? Follow them up slowly and be ready to help at the surface. Their death-wish is not mine, and while I'm not going to ignore it and just continue my dive obliviously - that is, I will render what aid I can - nevertheless, I'm not going to risk much either.

Probably not altruistic enough for some people, but it's just the reality: it's a risk vs. reward thing for me.

>*< Fritz

Grab his nuts and twist. He'll scream. If it's a girl, grab a nipple or two.

Grab his nuts and twist. He'll scream. If it's a girl, grab a nipple or two.

... tell paniced diver to wait. Find ReefHound... put ReefHound in proximity of paniced diver... take video... post it on ScubaBoard...

... but seriously folks, while it's good to theorize on *what if* situations... something like this is extremely situational... and inevitably subject to second guessing regardless of what happens. The bottom line for me is the old mantra that "Two victims does not a rescue make." If you can help without self injury... fabulous... if you you're willing to risk personal injury... hat's off to ya'...

If you punch a diver trying to ascend for whatever the right reasons and that diver dies, you will be held accountable for that death or injury. Its not a standard in diving.

How so? Is the dead diver going to testify against you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom