Paradise Reef Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...um, this thread is over 7 years old!

Some questions just never get old... Gotta love the wealth of information you can find by searching here.

Now, back to shore diving Cozumel... I went out yesterday on a solo dive to the Villa Blanca wall, it took about 20 minutes to get there, but I used the time to search the sand and turtle grass for seahorses, and other juvies. You can just go out a small distance and see a lot in some scattered rubble and coral heads, but the actual wall is a good ways out. I wouldn't recommend the swim to anyone who's not very comfortable with navigation and a little planning. It was quite rewarding however, finding the wall and making it back (more or less) to where I started. I was able to do it with 2000 psi by the time I got there, so with my wife I think she and I could easily spend 25 minutes or so on the wall. The wall is at about 58 ft or so. Next time I plan to enter at Papa Hogg's and come up at the stingray torture chamber... :wink: Then walk back to the car. I'm fairly certain the distance to Hilma Hooker in Bonaire is about the same, you should just be very aware of the potential boat traffic, etc.

P.S. I'm thinking of changing my signature line to; "Don't flame me bro!", but I can't seem to figure out how to change it in my profile... I just haven't invested that much time in keeping up with my online personalites :admin: -sigh- f I could just get rid of this pesky job..........

FirstDive...

Please forgive me if this isn't the right forum, but I was looking for some info on Paradise Dzul Ha reefs. My family and I (none of us are divers) are taking a cruise to Progreso/Cozumel in a couple of weeks, and I was looking at an excursion that takes us to those reefs for some snorkeling.

So, would you say those two reefs are safe enough (for lack of a better word) for a 16-, 12- and 10-year old, all of whom can swim reasonably well?

Thanks so much for your time.

Barry

FirstDive...

Please forgive me if this isn't the right forum, but I was looking for some info on Paradise Dzul Ha reefs. My family and I (none of us are divers) are taking a cruise to Progreso/Cozumel in a couple of weeks, and I was looking at an excursion that takes us to those reefs for some snorkeling.

So, would you say those two reefs are safe enough (for lack of a better word) for a 16-, 12- and 10-year old, all of whom can swim reasonably well?

Thanks so much for your time.

Barry
With safety first in mind, get on a boat! You could go with a shore diving tour that supplies gear including flotation vests and guides to assist anyone who gets in trouble, but they do boring dives. Blue Angel has a large, comfy boat that caters to snorkelers. Did you read about the currents mentioned earlier here?

My daughter and 17 yo grandson are doing the same cruise, I taught them safe snorkeling, and they have their own gear including inflatable flotation vests - but that's what I told them.

Firstdive,

I would suggest that you don't book your snorkel tour through the cruise ship. Take a taxi down to Playa Palancar and take their offshore snorkel tour to Palancar Reef. It's about $35pp and they supply the snorkel gear if you don't bring your own( which I also advise). They will have a tour guide in the water with the snorkelers. It is my favorite offshore snorkel tour on the island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom