Parents sue Boy Scouts for 2011 negligence death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems like a very old post but still it has reaching effects. As to the parents not being told the dangers of diving, well if they didn't read the release for the course then that would be on them. Well lets face it any adult and or parent should be able to figure out and understand that diving is a safe yet very dangerous sport. We are not meant to breath underwater yet we still do. So saying they were not told the dangers is a flat lie...unless boyscouts of america and the dive site/shop didnt provide the proper paperwork.

---------- Post added November 8th, 2015 at 07:09 PM ----------

So, now that we know that the scoutmaster panicked and bolted, and the 2 scouts were calm on the bottom when the instructor left to deal with his panicked diver, do any if the internet court participants have any further observations? Does anyone see a greater problem here? Maybe one involving how to supervise DSD and OW students?

Well I am a dive pro and when it comes to Discover dives I will only take as many students as I have hands. When it comes to kids and adults mixing I separate them. One kid one adult, and still only two because thats how many hands I have.

Well I am a dive pro and when it comes to Discover dives I will only take as many students as I have hands. When it comes to kids and adults mixing I separate them. One kid one adult, and still only two because thats how many hands I have.
I have seen mention there was a BSA policy that said that an adult cannot be alone with a kid, which is why the guy who bolted was there.

That is true. Ran into this issue this past summer. Because of all the instances of abuse in a number of organizations BSA has adopted that policy. The solution is simple. You don't take a non certified adult along on the discover. The instructor and another certified diver take one child at a time in open water. That is if you feel you must do it in open water. I won't and can't but hey. In the pool you have another adult in the water while you take one or two children through the program. Preferably a certified diver so your ratio is never more than 2 to 1.

---------- Post added November 10th, 2015 at 08:47 AM ----------

I'd like the other diver to be a dm or higher who understands they are not going to get any assistance from me. My attention has to be on the kids alone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom