partial pressure and safety factor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman:
Minor thing, but at 33' you are still breathing the same percentage of O2 as you are on the surface. But you are breathing twice as much O2 - twice the volume - at 2 ATAs. The amount of O2 per breath increases as you descend, but the percentage of each gas per breath stays the same.

Thank you Rick. As with Tobin's response, I see my mistake, and thank you for pointing it out.

~ Jason

darkpup:
A Nitrox course would answer all of these questions with a bit more detail, but I'll give it a try.

As you know from your OW class, every 33' or 10m doubles the pressure on your body. Thus at 33' you're breathing twice as much Oxygen. If on land you're breathing 21% oxygen, then at 33' you're breathing 42% oxygen. Make sense?

~ Jason

Rick Inman:
Minor thing, but at 33' you are still breathing the same percentage of O2 as you are on the surface. But you are breathing twice as much O2 - twice the volume - at 2 ATAs. The amount of O2 per breath increases as you descend, but the percentage of each gas per breath stays the same.

first of all rick is correct and second, no it doesnt double every 33ft / 10mtr. it increases by one atm approx. every 33ft / 10mtr. it makes a h*ll of a diff if you play with it a bit. but generally jason was on the right track - might be just a language prob - i have that often enough myself :wink:.

LSDeep:
first of all rick is correct and second, no it doesnt double every 33ft / 10mtr. it increases by one atm approx. every 33ft / 10mtr. it makes a h*ll of a diff if you play with it a bit. but generally jason was on the right track - might be just a language prob - i have that often enough myself :wink:.

Unfortunately I can't use the language excuse. I know the difference of the two terms (i.e. percentage vs. volume or partial pressure), and should have gotten it right the first time.

Thanks again for clearing this up.

~ Jason

i really appreciate all the help you guys are giving me... hey even the best of are allowed to make mistakes.... after all we are only human.... we all share one thing in common... the underwater world....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom