Partial re-opening of Sharm's beaches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My question is aimed at Mr CROWLEY as he is based in Sharm however I'm also glad to receive others comments. I fully appreciate that no-one can tell the future but wanted an opinion on the future of snorkelling in the area.
We spend "days off" (when we don't go diving) by going snorkelling (El Fanar etc). We were in Sharm in mid december and to be honest found the snorkelling restrictions miserable to the point where we will go elsewhere unless restrictions are totally lifted.
The current CDWS rules - snorkelling only within a roped off area in less than 2 metres deep and also needing to be accompanied for snorkelling with a CDWS guide are too restrictive for us to enjoy.
Do you feel this is likely to be permanent as I would have thought restrictions would have been lifted by now.?
My own view is that adults should be free to make their own educated decisions about entering the water in Sharm. Here in the UK there are approx 500 motorcycle deaths each year, and yet no one would suggest that motorcycling should be banned (quite right too).
Thanks

My own view is that adults should be free to make their own educated decisions about entering the water in Sharm. Here in the UK there are approx 500 motorcycle deaths each year, and yet no one would suggest that motorcycling should be banned (quite right too).
The UK is not a touristic destination. Shark attacks make the news way more than motorcycle deaths, and since you were here in December, you have seen the consequences.

The problem at the moment Scubie, is that nobody really knows what to do. I don't have direct access to the discussions of the local governor of course, but reading between the lines of what I do know, there is probably some sort of deadlock over how to proceed.

The Chamber (CDWS) is not especially powerful, but it has received a lot of media attention and publicity recently. They therefore have quite a lot of public support because on the surface, at least, they are promoting a calm approach along with the conservation of sharks.

On the other hand, people are losing money hand over fist with the restrictions. All the windsurfing, banana-boats, parasailing boats etc are not able to work either, and these must rake in a considerable income for the hotels. I think from the financial sector there is a strong voice for killing sharks and installation of shark nets or something - because at the moment, half the boats in Sharm are laid up at anchor because so few snorkelling tours are available.

How long will it last? We have no idea. One thing is for sure, Sharm cannot risk another fatal shark attack. Yes, it's been overblown but it happened, and it continues to have a significant effect on business here. Another attack would have huge repercussions, I think.

For me - it's difficult to say I am not enjoying the restrictions at the moment. It is super low season anyway but the lack of snorkel boats mean the reefs are much quieter, and I think there has been a noticeable improvement to the diving with less traffic. In the last few weeks I have had Jackson, Woodhouse, Gordon, Ras Za'atar and Shark and Yolanda reefs all to myself. I mean seriously, the only boat on the reef, me and two divers. Last week at Jackson I had one diver and two snorkelers (it's allowed in Tiran) and that was it - two people on the whole of Jackson reef. How cool is that!?!

The dive business is quiet here at the moment, but this is seasonal anyway, and there is no more restriction on the diving, so I don't think we'll suffer unduly. People are still genuinely afraid of the shark stories and do need reassurance before starting their intro dive or whatever. I appreciate that for holidaymakers, the snorkeling restrictions are a serious dampener on a lot of holidays, but for me personally, as a diver first and a dive professional second, it's pretty cool.

Should grown-ups be allowed to make their own decision as to whether or not they get in the water? Well - yes - but then some grown-ups also decided that trying to feed sharks was a good idea and therefore are not to be trusted!

As to what will happen? Who knows - I heard yesterday that Ras Mohamed will be reopened to snorkel trips but there has been no official announcement and I was there yesterday and didn't see anybody. I think there will be a period of quiet whilst various important people carry on with their posturing, and there will be a show of active concern (such as the building of the "net" in "Naama bay") and then it will all be forgotten if people don't make too much noise.

Sakara, cheers,

Crowley

How long will it last? We have no idea. One thing is for sure, Sharm cannot risk another fatal shark attack. Yes, it's been overblown but it happened, and it continues to have a significant effect on business here. Another attack would have huge repercussions, I think.

I think if the reaction I am getting at home from Mrs D is typical of other divers, then I'm not sure if it's going to need another fatal shark for her to have second thoughts. As it is, we have extended out trip in March for a second week to go further up coast to do diving as she is already saying she doubts that she, (meaning we of course) :( will not want to go in. And Yes, she does know scuba divers have not been attacked in the recent events here, but you know what happens once their is a seed of doubt.

On a plus side, what I would like to think will happen throughout all of this, is that if these low numbers of divers and snorklers in Tiran and Ras Mohammed continues, then that can only be good for the natural environment.
Are we already seeing evidence of this?
Are the local reef inhabitants behaving differently now there are not 10's of divers continuously streaming past?
Are some of the more timid species now being seen?
Perhaps it's too early for that, however I can only wish some good from this, even if it is a lot less ignorant visitors trampling across the beautiful natural environment.

For the moment.. I am still looking for a dive center for March, so suggestions on a good center with patient and understanding instructors to ease some concerns so that we can again get to witness the wonders of Sharm.

Thank you for your reply Mr Crowley. We only like to dive every other day, so hopefully it's not long before restrictions are lifted on the snorkelling.
MatD - The dive operations in Sharm are of a high standard and it would be hard to pick a bad one. However divers look for different things in a dive op.
For instance - My wish will be totally different from yours - I primarily look for cheap diving prices. I like photography so don't want to be in a large group with a controlling, tank banging divemaster. I also don't book the crowded cattle boats of some of the larger operators (it's no fun setting your gear up with 20 + other divers).
You say you are looking for "patient and understanding instructors" (are you looking to do a course) why not consider CROWLEY - he comes across on here as having a very friendly, understanding, and particularly helpful nature.

You say you are looking for "patient and understanding instructors" (are you looking to do a course) why not consider CROWLEY - he comes across on here as having a very friendly, understanding, and particularly helpful nature.

Indeed Scubie, Mr Crowley comes with some great credentials.
We have dived with a few operators in Sharm and each instructor has his own merits and I have yet to get a bad one in Sharm. My concern this time is that the nerves this time may be a little worse than they would otherwise be for me... and MrsD is already talking about IF not When, before we get there, because of the concerns over the sharks. So the request for patient's and understanding is if we get an instructor that is rush rush rush.. then my guess is thats going to have MrsD out of her wetsuite quick time.
I'm sure things will setting down by the time we arrive (10 weeks and counting:), just haven't chosen a dive center yet.

I don't think I've met Crowley, but I did dives with Oonas, Shark's Bay Umbi, and Subex and had excellent experiences with all of them. I did a shore dive with Umbi with 2 leaders to 2 divers. I did a large, uncrowded boat dive plus a night shore dive one to one with Subex. I did large, uncrowded boat dives with Oonas. Oonas and Umbi were recommended to me and pre-booked, and they picked me up and dropped me off. Subex was at my resort, Maritim Jolie Ville Golf, and they transferred me back and forth as well.

I found all of them to be great; knowledgeable about the area; observant of their charges; and they gave thorough dive briefings. They all seemed patient and jovial to me. There was a relaxed, friendly atmosphere with all of them. I'd recommend any one of them. :)

I've been following this thread very closely as my husband and I are trying to decide between a week diving in Sharm or instead heading to Tofo Mozambique. This would be our first time in Egypt and honestly I'm a bit more worried about the unstable government than the sharks but both issues together make it difficult to jump in and make the decision for Sharm. We were hoping to spend a couple of days in Cairo sightseeing before heading to Sharm, but now we're just not sure. Crowley, any thoughts on the effect of political uprisings in the country adding to the already bad press concerning the sharks and tourism?

Er - thank you for all the kudos I think! :D

There are plenty of really good guides here, and plenty who have much more than my experience in the red sea. I tend to recommend the bigger name dive centres to first time visitors, because we have been doing it longer, and we do it very well for the most part. This does not mean that smaller centres found in hotels are not good, but some are appalling, and the bigger operators have rather a lot more at stake. All have some affiliation with tour operators so if you pre-book a package deal, you may find yourself diving at a particular dive centre by default. Financially, we are all much of a muchness - if you find yourself paying a lot less than the big names, there's something going wrong.

Tex - as for the political turmoil - it's nothing we are especially concerned about at the moment. Yes, there were some ideologically motivated attacks over the coptic christmas celebrations, but this has nothing to do with Sharm, or any other resort location in Egypt. The problems in Tunisia might be giving some people here ideas but Egyptian life is rather stable, in a crazy sort of way.

Diving in Sharm has no concerns at the moment other than how much weight you'll need and how thick your suit should be. Scubie has pointed out that there's not much snorkeling available so if you have non diving family along with you they might not be able to get in the water. If you have any questions please just drop me a line.

Cheers

C.

Back
Top Bottom