Parts for life policy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmoore19

Denizen of the PUB
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It has been brought to my attention that ScubaPro regulators purchased 1/1/2012 and after will not have free parts for life offered unless purchased as a package with other ScubaPro products.

I had also heard that the free parts for life would still be in effect for regulators purchased before 1/1/2012. That free parts for life are grandfathered in and as long as the annual service is completed, the FPFL will remain valid.

Could you please confirm?

As for the service interval, what is the grace period (if any)?

If the interval for service is missed, will this void the FPFL offer?

I had also heard that if you missed the interval servicing and paid for the service and parts the offer FPFL would be reinstated for future service requirements. Has this policy changed?

I have a reg set and some fins and would like to know how this new policy may affect me in the future.

Thanks for any help clarifying this.

Yes, you are right about the FPFL policy. Yes, if you miss your annual service the FPFL is gone.

No, no more reinstatement.

If some buys a system, B.C. , Reg and computer they get free parts for life, but they must have it annual serviced!

For Kate's info, she may wish to be made aware of a lengthy thread of concerns on this subject that was posted (or moved) to the Whine and Cheese forum.

I'm curious about the grace period as well since I just bought a reg a couple of weeks ago and would prefer to get at least some free parts. I've heard the grace period is a month, ie. max 13 month interval. Is the timeframe for annual service based on purchase date or the date of the last annual service?

I beleive it is based on the purchase/ warranty registration date.

That would be true for the 1st service, wouldn't it change to the service date after that?

I was actually hoping to get some feedback from ScubaPro. That way there would be no question as to it's authenticity nor someones interpretation of what ScubaPro meant. That is why I posted it in the ScubaPro forum.

I do appreciate the responses posted here though and thanks for the link from Undercurrent @Scubadada.
Thanks to all!

Scubadada, thanks for posting the article.

dmoore, Yes, IMHO it is fairly accurate, especially considering the source.
Two exceptions:

"Scubapro spokesperson Gabriel Gilman told Undercurrent, "As long as customers provide documentation of their warranty program and service within the last 13 months, they're good to go. If you miss service, you're out of the program. The intent is to keep the 'parts for life' program viable." And, we presume, to help its local dealers stay afloat by being able to charge you labor costs for annual servicing, even if the only diving you've done in the past year is a week in the Caribbean."

Correction: Dealers charge for labor all the time even when they get free parts. IMHO, dealers do not charge enough for labor ( about $35/hour ). Why does a your plumber make twice as much as the Scubapro Tec working on your life support equipment?
At this rate it is a loss leader not a profit center for the Scubpro dealer, if they pay their Tec's enough to eat!

"Matlosz protested to Scubapro, which apologized and quickly shipped the free-of-charge parts to his dive shop. Scubapro's Gilman said, "

The fault was on the dealer not Scubapro, Mike had done everything so he deserved free parts. In defense of the dealer, this transition has not been easy.

"So don't throw away that receipt, or any of your paperwork, for that matter. Scubapro now requires customers to bring in original proof of purchase and your last service showing free warranty parts. "The dive shop where I first purchased my gear told me to hold onto the proof of service for warranty just in case there was ever an issue, and I'm glad I did," says Matlosz. I also have all my invoices for equipment purchased and serviced over the years."

Gabe took care of him.

Correction: Dealers charge for labor all the time even when they get free parts. IMHO, dealers do not charge enough for labor ( about $35/hour ).

I don't know where you live but all the local dive centre's (shops) where I live charge about $35-$50 per stage. So when I bring in my 4 SP stages I'm paying between $140 and $200 for the service. I also bring in 4 APEX stages at the same time and get charged the same. Recently I dropped them off and picked them up 2 hours later. That shop made more than $35/hr. on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom