Parts for life policy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know where you live but all the local dive centre's (shops) where I live charge about $35-$50 per stage. So when I bring in my 4 SP stages I'm paying between $140 and $200 for the service. I also bring in 4 APEX stages at the same time and get charged the same. Recently I dropped them off and picked them up 2 hours later. That shop made more than $35/hr. on this one.

I don't know how long it takes to service a reg, (1st and second stage) having never done it myself. But car repair shops have a rate of +/- $80/hr, of which the tech gets +/-$20/hr but he takes a chance as he is generally working for a flat rate. If we take the percentage paid the tech rebuilding the regulator it is barely at minimum wage if it takes 1 hour per reg. I took mine in for service and the cost was similar to leabre. I don't know if 7-8 min/stage average for a rebuild is an adequate amount of time. (8 stages in 2 hours) They did call me 2 days later and tell me I could pick mine up though.

Man that is ruff on price here in Tampa we charge $50 labor for a complete regulator

I don't know how long it takes to service a reg, (1st and second stage) having never done it myself. But car repair shops have a rate of +/- $80/hr, of which the tech gets +/-$20/hr but he takes a chance as he is generally working for a flat rate. If we take the percentage paid the tech rebuilding the regulator it is barely at minimum wage if it takes 1 hour per reg. I took mine in for service and the cost was similar to leabre. I don't know if 7-8 min/stage average for a rebuild is an adequate amount of time. (8 stages in 2 hours) They did call me 2 days later and tell me I could pick mine up though.

Take it from someone who calculates labour charge out rates as a part of my day job - you are not at all comparing apples and apples. The cost structures are completely different, the capital investment to be covered is completely different, and so the %age of what is charged the customer that is available to be paid to a tech is also completely different.

Edit:

8 stages in 2 hours is 15 minutes per, not 7/8. This also assumes 1 tech - there could have been 8 techs doing one each, spending 2 hours per. Too many assumptions being made IMO.

Take it from someone who calculates labour charge out rates as a part of my day job - you are not at all comparing apples and apples. The cost structures are completely different, the capital investment to be covered is completely different, and so the %age of what is charged the customer that is available to be paid to a tech is also completely different.

OK, please enlighten me as to what that might be. I just can't see where there can be a lot of money left after you pay the employee for their time + tools + stocking parts + insurance and other overhead.

Edit

The poster said 4 SP and 4 Apex stages, I mistakenly thought sets when doing my reply. Still, 15 minutes per stage seems like a short period of time to me.

Last edited:
I have a reg set and some fins and would like to know how this new policy may affect me in the future.

Thanks for any help clarifying this.

I suspect that if you only serviced the regs when they needed service, that you would more than save the cost of the bag of parts. I own quite a bit of SCUBAPro stuff and my service interval is "when it leaks or misbehaves."

Just to wander off on a slight tangent, anything can fail at any time. As long as your buddy skills and dive plan are good, it shouldn't be any different if your reg failed underwater or you just forgot to keep an eye on your remaining gas.

flots.

OK, please enlighten me as to what that might be. I just can't see where there can be a lot of money left after you pay the employee for their time + tools + stocking parts + insurance and other overhead.

Here is a quick example of what I am talking about. I just calculated new internal costing rates for 3 manufacturing plants. Same company, so things like insurance and overhead (part of what is generally referred to as G&A) are the same. Plant rates, OTOH, are specific and very different. I can't give you real numbers for what I hope are obvious reasons, but if one plant had a cost of $30/hour, plant 2 is at $40/hour, and plant 3 is at $46.50/hour. The numbers are not real, but the ratios are. These differences are caused by different facilities costs, different taxes, different wage rates (different skill requirements), different utilization rates, different equipment requirements, and a whole host of other factors. So one plant costs 155% of what my cheapest plant does. It is worth it because I get very different things from them.

Relative to a dive shop tech, one mechanic at a dealership needs more floor space to work (more $$), more equipment / tools and more expensive equipment / tools, greater variety, level, and value of parts inventories required (and bigger parts, all of which needs more expensive floor space), more expensive staff, more overhead support, more extensive / expensive ongoing training requirements with each model year (which by the way means more new expensive test equipment and special tools, and more things to be added to parts inventory).

Plus, as a business grows, its overhead grows. A small LDS should always have a lower cost structure than a larger business. They just don't need multiple levels of management, and many support jobs are combined into a single position. The LDS owner will likely do their own purchasing whereas the dealership will require a dedicated procurement agent (or more) with the level of work involved. The LDS owner will often do their own books, but the dealership will likely require multiple financial staff. I am sure you can think of other examples.

If you think a car tech gets ~ 20/hour, my suggestion would be that given the difference in required training, a LDS tech should probably top out at ~15/hour (anyone who knows what is normal can feel free to chime in, this is just a SWAG on my part). Again as a SWAG, I would suggest that if the G&A rate worked out to 100% which is probably reasonable, that gets you to a rate of $30/hour to cover costs, leaving $5/hour as profit. That is 14%, which is quite reasonable. If a LDS is charging $50/hour, there is even more room for higher overhead and / or profit.

Please take these numbers with a grain of salt. I have never looked at the books of a LDS, so I don't KNOW. But I do feel safe in saying that they would not continue to charge $35 or $50 for a service if they were losing money on it. I also feel safe in saying that I don't think many are in the LDS business thinking it will make them rich :)

Without spending time to develop for you a bunch of boring spreadsheets, this will hopefully give you a flavour.

The poster said 4 SP and 4 Apeks stages, I mistakenly thought sets when doing my reply. Still, 15 minutes per stage seems like a short period of time to me.

Certainly clarification is in order here. The APEKS weren't used at all since the previous service cycle, and only 3 of the SP stages were actively used, using the 4th stage untouched since its previous cycle. I had already switched my others to HOG's and used them, these were just stragglers that I hadn't replaced yet. Likely he didn't do anything to the Apeks or the 4th SP reg since they were still in prestine condition. Usually they give me the old parts as proof they did something, not so for those regs.

So I bring all the regs in for service to maintain the parts warranty more or less, but they are actually not in need of service. At some point I realized the parts warranty was a farce. I had to pay the fee per stage whether he looked at it and said "nothing to do" or whether he did something. Parts warranties tend to force you to bring in for service more often, costing more money, and can get very costly if you have a lot of them. Better to spend less money on some other brand and only service them when you need to (if you'll have more than two sets).

Edit

The poster said 4 SP and 4 Apex stages, I mistakenly thought sets when doing my reply. Still, 15 minutes per stage seems like a short period of time to me.

Can't disagree with that at all. I want my regs done properly and with care, not passed through the Big Mac assembly line.

Here is a quick example of what I am talking about. I just calculated new internal costing rates for 3 manufacturing plants. Same company, so things like insurance and overhead (part of what is generally referred to as G&A) are the same. Plant rates, OTOH, are specific and very different. I can't give you real numbers for what I hope are obvious reasons, but if one plant had a cost of $30/hour, plant 2 is at $40/hour, and plant 3 is at $46.50/hour. The numbers are not real, but the ratios are. These differences are caused by different facilities costs, different taxes, different wage rates (different skill requirements), different utilization rates, different equipment requirements, and a whole host of other factors. So one plant costs 155% of what my cheapest plant does. It is worth it because I get very different things from them.

Relative to a dive shop tech, one mechanic at a dealership needs more floor space to work (more $$), more equipment / tools and more expensive equipment / tools, greater variety, level, and value of parts inventories required (and bigger parts, all of which needs more expensive floor space), more expensive staff, more overhead support, more extensive / expensive ongoing training requirements with each model year (which by the way means more new expensive test equipment and special tools, and more things to be added to parts inventory).

Plus, as a business grows, its overhead grows. A small LDS should always have a lower cost structure than a larger business. They just don't need multiple levels of management, and many support jobs are combined into a single position. The LDS owner will likely do their own purchasing whereas the dealership will require a dedicated procurement agent (or more) with the level of work involved. The LDS owner will often do their own books, but the dealership will likely require multiple financial staff. I am sure you can think of other examples.

If you think a car tech gets ~ 20/hour, my suggestion would be that given the difference in required training, a LDS tech should probably top out at ~15/hour (anyone who knows what is normal can feel free to chime in, this is just a SWAG on my part). Again as a SWAG, I would suggest that if the G&A rate worked out to 100% which is probably reasonable, that gets you to a rate of $30/hour to cover costs, leaving $5/hour as profit. That is 14%, which is quite reasonable. If a LDS is charging $50/hour, there is even more room for higher overhead and / or profit.

Please take these numbers with a grain of salt. I have never looked at the books of a LDS, so I don't KNOW. But I do feel safe in saying that they would not continue to charge $35 or $50 for a service if they were losing money on it. I also feel safe in saying that I don't think many are in the LDS business thinking it will make them rich :)

Without spending time to develop for you a bunch of boring spreadsheets, this will hopefully give you a flavour.

Thanks. I looked at couple of websites when coming up with the $20/hr for the mechanic. One isn't going to get rich servicing regs or repairing cars. The money is probably in parts, not labor. Taking a reg in for service usually ends up costing me more than just the price of servicing the reg.:D

It would still be nice if the ScubaPro rep showed up and explained the changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom