payback time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't get it.
There are 7 help wanted signs in a 3 mile stretch that my ware house is located on right here in Tampa.
They are skilled and non skilled jobs.
Everything from mechanics to warehouse men.

So what are you now educated in? What career do you see yourself going in for? Do you have a green card or need another visa (work rather than school now)? All these will determine what you can do. I would swap places for the snow many days out of the year, but i am forced to live here while i bide my time on the green card issue :wink:

Hi Jackie,

I think we should start a Displaced Conch club around here somewhere. Anywhere is fine, as long as we have access to a pint or two while we're comisserating...

(I think a road trip south is in order, don't you? There's a Springs trip in February that has my name written all over it...)

Hope to see you there,
Grier

simbrooks:
So what are you now educated in? What career do you see yourself going in for? Do you have a green card or need another visa (work rather than school now)? All these will determine what you can do. I would swap places for the snow many days out of the year, but i am forced to live here while i bide my time on the green card issue :wink:

Aircraft Maintenance. I worked for a major US airline maintaining their aircraft. I'm one of those guys you see running in and out of the cockpit when you're trying to stuff your bag in the overhead bin. :eyebrow:

It seems that most employeers in areas other then the aviation industry have no idea exactly what we do on a nightly basis to keep these multi-million dollar aluminum tubs flying. Therefore they are reluctant to hire someone like me. I applied at a local marina that had a help wanted sign posted for the position of electronics installer and they wouldn't even talk to me. Considering these aircraft have several hundred computers, dozens of different electronic systems and the newest of them are fly by wire, installing electronics on a boat would be third grade stuff to me but no one will give me the chance to prove it.

It's getting kind of frustrating and if I don't find something soon I'm going to joining the Displaced Conch Club myself. :11:

Padipro:
It's getting kind of frustrating and if I don't find something soon I'm going to joining the Displaced Conch Club myself. :11:

Welcome to the DCC. I'll buy the first round... :cheers:

Ok, I'll get the second. Anyone else?

Here's a pic of just one of the computer racks located under the floor on a Boeing 767-400.

Padipro:
Ok, I'll get the second. Anyone else?

Here's a pic of just one of the computer racks located under the floor on a Boeing 767-400.
Why are there lights, valves and such under there??? I know this technology got you guys to the moon, but really - that looks like way too many little black boxes :wink:

Where do I sign up for the DCC?

I was telling everybody how much I hated the constant hot and humid weather in South Florida. I am eating my words now. It seems like Leesburg, VA is one of the coldest spots in VA. Not fun when you have to walk your dog in the middle of the night and it's freezing and windy. I miss those hot and humid days
:ice: :frown2:

simbrooks:
Why are there lights, valves and such under there??? I know this technology got you guys to the moon, but really - that looks like way too many little black boxes :wink:

Well I don't think a 767 will get us to the moon but it will get you off the ground.

This area is refered to as the "E&E Bay", the Electronic Equipment Bay. Most of the electronic "Black Boxes" are located in this area so it's easier for us to access them for maintenance purposes. The area is lighted so we can see what we're doing when we're in the compartment. There are other components in this area such as the crew oxygen system, air conditioning ducts and pitot/static tubing running to several of the boxes that control the avionics and pressurization systems. Each of these boxes controls a particular system, flap/slat control, thrust reversers, electronic engine control, anti-skid/autobrake system, autopilot and auto throttle systems and the communication and navigation systems, all are tied together throught the engine indicating and crew alerting (EICAS) system in way or another and each system has a set of two boxes, one is the primary and the other is a secondary (backup) control. There's a back up for everything on these aircraft so that makes for twice as many "Little Black Boxes".

mahoneme:
Where do I sign up for the DCC?

I was telling everybody how much I hated the constant hot and humid weather in South Florida. I am eating my words now. It seems like Leesburg, VA is one of the coldest spots in VA. Not fun when you have to walk your dog in the middle of the night and it's freezing and windy. I miss those hot and humid days
:ice: :frown2:

Man, it's anywhere that you want it to be, to quote Jimmy Buffett. Consider yourself a charter member... :dazzler1:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom