Peace, Conception, Truth or Vision?

Which boat would you choose for a 2 or 3 day trip to Northern Channel Islands?

• The Peace

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • The Truth

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • The Conception

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • The Vision

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • I don't know, just want to see the answers.

Votes: 32 42.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never been on the Truth Aquatics boats before so I can't compare them but I will be diving from the Conception on Sunday to the Outer Islands. I'll check in next week and let you know about that one!

I voted for the Conception as each trip I've done with them has been professionaly run. I wouldn't go on the Vision again even if they paid me to go. With the lousy experience we had last August and all the fuss we stirred you'd think they'd learn but just a few weeks ago a couple of divers from our shop went out with them for a two day trip and it was the same old thing, snarly attitudes and more time spent trying to anchor and trying to find sites than spent diving.

I'm considering a trip this May and am wondering if people had gone on weekends when a dive shop has been doing OW completions. I might want to go with a local group, but it seems like having a lot of people doing OW completions could constrain the dives.

Has anyone been on a limited load trip with them? I saw it on their calendar, seems like a nice alternative, I just don't know how much more it'd cost.

I did my first live-aboard on the Vision back in November. I had been leery of live-aboards for 10 years because when the diving is done I usually can't wait to get home. I decided to try out a three-day to see if I went stir-crazy.

It was pretty good. The days flew by, and I finally got to dive those northern channel islands I've heard of. :)

I loved standing out on the bow at night...watching the stars slowly turn and the surge stir up the biolum in the kelp forest. I could make out the structure of the kelp forest to a good depth when all the plants started glowing. The underwater glowing streak of an occasional sea lion swimming by was just icing on the cake!

So then have people done this trip through truth aquatics or their LDS? Does it matter?

I'm checking out both Cal Dive and Travel in Berkeley, Pinnacle in Novato, and Aqua Safaris in Santa Cruz. If anyone has experience with any of these groups and Truth Aquatics, lemme know!

Thanks,

Jonah

scubanimal:
Just signed up for trip over July 4 weekend on the Conception so the timing of this poll was wonderful. I do hope that it has Nitrox though by then or diving my rebreather will be nearly as fun :)

Hmmm I'm also booked on the Conception on the July 4th weekend to the Channel Islands.... (through Ray S.).
cool..

I've been on the Peace half a dozen times. Eric and Kevin (captains) really know boat handling and I have yet to see them have any trouble anchoring right on the dive spot. The bunk room is tight and at 6'4" I go for a double bunk.

Taxgeek:
So which of these do you all prefer, for 2 or 3 day trips, other factors such as destination being equal?

I know there are some Truth Aquatics captains that people particularly like - which ones?

The Peace has a hottub, that's good too. And it leaves from Ventura, which is closer to LA, but means a longer ride out to (hopefully) San Miguel.

All three TA boats (I think) have bow gates - a real plus in my book.

Do any of the boats have better photo facilities than others?
Better food?
Better galley chairs?
Better bunks for a single person?

Which one would you choose? I'm sure I'll try them all eventually, and they're all great, but help me choose this one.
Thanks!
Taxgeek

Like Frank O said. Peace fills nitrox. That's good enough for me.
Food is good, crew is friendly. Bunks could do with a bit of upgrading, but that's about it.

Did any of you book directly through Truth Aquatics, any advantages/disadvantages?

jonahshark:
Did any of you book directly through Truth Aquatics, any advantages/disadvantages?

If you book on one of their trips, you can spend an additioanl $8 to buy a gold card. You get the captain to sign after the trip. After 4 paid day trips, you get one day trip free. If you go on a multiday trip, the card is signed for each day spent on the water, so two two-day trips can get you a free one day trip. :D

Also, the open boats tend to be cheaper then if you go with a group that has chartered it.

Personally, I prefer the Vision. It is the biggest and roomiest. Lots of photo equip[ and laze room. Also, it has the cutest deckhands and nicer galley girls.

Second choice is the Peace - I LOVE the hottub after dives :10: and prefer to dive nitrox. Not enough photo room, though. Crew geared for hunters.

Third choice is the Conception. Again, lots of photo room, and gotta love the showers with room for two :wink:

NO WAY WILL I EVER go on the Truth again. If you are taller than 6 feet, you have to stoop to not hit your head. (while I am not close to that height, I still felt like I should stoop and was just cramped overall)

I have been on multidays on all the boats, so there you go....:05:

Back
Top Bottom