Peace River fossiling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd love to go back to the Peace river. I got my camping gear still staged from my failed stay at Blue Springs. I for one am always looking for an outdoor escape. The racoons making their thiefts of your camping goods left unattended, Squirrels running from palm to palm, Wild Boar rooting and snorting, Campfires and tall tales of misspent youth & Maybe we will get lucky and hear a moaner bird.

I'm in.

Eric

Colin count me in just let me know of the date/s you have in mind and I will see if I have the ruggy rat that weekend or not. maybe I can work something out.

Last time I was there I saw no gators of any sort, water was low but doable, Found tons of baby sharks teeth on the shore of a cliff, Was awsome.

Well, here's where I am looking at camping: http://www.peacerivercampground.com/

I'm thinking rustic camping.. its kid, dog, and family friendly...

I'll call them tomorrow to try and get some information about a group camp during that time. I've got my "location" maps for some places to fossil at and am going to see where they are in relation to that camp ground.. :)

The fossil dive sounds great. However I've been camping for the last 5 months in my front yard. Maybe I'll come along anyway and use a tent just to switch things up :wink:

Let us know what you find there Colin, I know the Peace River Campground got hit pretty hard as well this past storm season.

Wildbill:cop_2:

Hey, you guys!

I just got off the phone with Mark Renz, the owner of Fossil Expeditions and author of a few fossiling books, including "Fossiling in Florida." He does guided fossiling trips (screening, snorkeling and even diving) in the Peace River and other locations through the state. Check out his website: http://www.fossilexpeditions.com/

He can offer us a group rate of $35 each with a minimum of 10 participants. I thought it might be kind of fun to have a professional show us the ropes our first time out. The full day usually goes from 9:00 or 10:00 a.m. until about 3:00 p.m. I'm pretty sure we can stay later if we want to. This is for screening and/or snorkeling, but I forgot to ask him if we need to bring our own screen or if he provides them for our use. I'll find out later.

I believe we're looking at either the first or second weekend of March. We still need to get more information on camping at the Peace River Campground. Per their website, the price seemed a bit steep to me. I'll try giving them a call tomorrow for details.

So does this interest any of you so I can let him know for sure?? I think it would be pretty darned cool! :)

~Kris

MArch 5th and 6th! Scheduled off! - - I'm in! - - love the peace river.. could use some peace!

Would love to spend more time with the conchs. Camping to me is a tent, various coleman accessories and a BIG knife.

I may do the peace between now and then, you bringing it up makes me want to spend a little time on that river and the relaxation that comes from it.

Eric

Hey Colin, I am off 4-6 March and would love to go, however, I have screened the river several times in the past. We took the extended canoe trip and stopped at strategic locations along the way. We found alot of small teeth, turtle shell, and bone fragments, but not the MAC-Daddy. Screening is alot of back breaking work and is kinda hit or miss, needing alot of luck to find the big one. I have dove Venice about 35 times, and off the boat twice. There is nothing like being able to see the bottom before it gets stirred up. To date, the biggest tooth I have found is about 4 inches. I need to find the 5+ and I think the best way is diving or snorkeling. The $35.00 fee from Rentz is reasonable and I'm willing to pay it, but I think our goals will be better reached if we all agree to dive or snorkel.

I think Christina and myself might be up for this, but it would only be the saturday/sunday deal, not friday (except to drive down and party/first night camping).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom